Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Trekking around Oz

Trekking around Oz Where have you been? Where are you going? Report your trip.

Old 12-04-10
Valued Member

Default Darling River Run - worth it?

We're looking at a trip to Mungo NP via the Darling River Run in June - has anyone done the stretch between Bourke & Wilcannia?

We're thinking about doing this part over 3-4 days, then Mungo for 2-3 days, then Kanungra and Jenolan for 3-4 days - any suggestions or alternatives for those that have been around these parts?

Overall it looks like about 4,500km round trip from Brissie, planning this for a 20 day trip.

Tips & ideas please!

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water
Old 13-04-10
Valued Member

I grew up in Bourke so know the area well.

Bourke to Wilcannia is a good drive, just take your time and soak up the scenery and serenity

Went through a few days ago and the landscape is looking great after recent rain.

TIP? Take a few fishing rod's

....there's nothing like camping along side the Darling River!
COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia
Old 13-04-10
Valued Member

2-3 days for Mungo is overkill IMO.

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.
Old 13-04-10
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitchi View Post
2-3 days for Mungo is overkill IMO.
I disagree! Spent three nights there and want to go back.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Landrover Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL wagon. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.
Old 14-04-10
Valued Member

Thanks guys - good tips. Sounds like we are on the right track. If we feel a couple of days is enough for Mungo we'll just leave earlier for Kanangra.

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water
Old 15-04-10

i have always wanted to do the darling river run, i m a tour guide at jenolan and mate for the traveller kanangra and jenolan are great places to visit, if you want more information , maps and stuff just give me a call or email me
Old 15-04-10
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.alexander View Post
i have always wanted to do the darling river run, i m a tour guide at jenolan and mate for the traveller kanangra and jenolan are great places to visit, if you want more information , maps and stuff just give me a call or email me
Joshua, that's amazing. It's incredible who is on this forum! I'll drop you an email - would love to get a decent map of the fire trails and some inside info on the best campsites.

Charlie

Old 16-04-10
Valued Member

Forgot to say, Bourke isn't near as bad as people would have you believe.

The reputation stems from is a small blown out of proportion disturbance which occurred over 15 years ago which the media portrayed as a riot that took over the whole town.

Then, if anything small happens to the odd person (which happens anywhere/everywhere) people say "yeah well that's Bourke for you" etc. I was born and bred there, living there until I was 18 and never had a single problem living in the town.

Tip, while you're there, have a look at the exhibition centre and go to the tourist centre, there's a few tours you can do to really appreciate the agriculture that's going on there, learn some history of the Darling, way back to the wool carting days along the rivers, and even take a relaxing cruise on the Jandra Paddle boat.
COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia
Old 17-04-10
Valued Member

Cheers for the Bourke tips Dazza, we're planning to spend a day and a half there.

Joshua - email sent.

Old 17-04-10
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeJay View Post
Cheers for the Bourke tips Dazza, we're planning to spend a day and a half there.
If you want to have a traditional Bourkiette lunch, head into the local Bakery (Morall's Bakery) and get a meat pie and a bottle of local soft drink called Splashe Cola. It's the stuff Jesus lives on I swear!

They have the best meat pies, and once you've tried Splashe you'll be hooked. I know a lot of people used to come through and try it and leave with large cartons of the stuff.