Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Commercial Advertisers > Commercial Advertisers > Chip Tuning

Chip Tuning Diesel Performance Solutions

Old 20-07-12
Valued Member

Default Chip It Parameters? Pre-common rail

Hi

What parameters are changed in the pre-common rail chip it box?

I don't expect to know which way or the other or how you do it, just which parameters are changed as I'm trying to understand where the power is coming from and the economy saving.

Is the engine ecu seeing a different coolant temp?
Is it changing the injection duration - is that possible with the pre-common rail?
Is it changing the boost? How as it is mechanically controlled and upping the boost will through CEL anyway.
Is it changing the injection pump pressure (injection and/or delivery)

I hope you can answer these questions. If not, to protect your product then I fully understand.

regards
2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Last edited by 4ePikanini; 20-07-12 at 10:13 PM.
Old 20-07-12
Valued Member

Hi 4ePikanini

The following info is for the Pre Common Rail ... just in case someone misses the theme.

For the Pre Common Rail engines the chip (all chips except for injector style chips which will not gain you as much performance) connect to the spill valve of your diesel pump. It allows the factory ECU to open the valve longer to accept more fuel into the chamber so the pump can deliver it to the injectors. Like I said, ALL Chips for pre common rail vehicles work the same.

If any chip company is telling you it changes the timing ? they are flat out lying to you.

We all just allow the injectors to have more fuel available for injection.

However a major difference lies is HOW the companies tune the new fuel map. We are the only company in Australia that make our own chips and therefore tuning is done right here in Australia.

On the Pre Common Rail vehicle you can also increase the turbo map but you need to do this via an Electronic Boost Controller (EBC) and a Manual Boost Controller (MBC). One does the tricking of the ECU, the other increases the actual boost. We have all these items available

Diesel Performance Solutions

Contact sales@chiptuning.com.au for 10% forum discount
(NB: Forum discount applies to Performance Modules only)

Office 02 8090 1881
Old 20-07-12
Valued Member

Thank you so much.

The first company that responds in a factual way instead of sales jargon.

so if I understand correctly the chip allows more diesel into the chamber that compresses the diesel and sends it to the injector.

Does that mean....

1. the injector fires slightly earlier due to the extra fuel > extra pressure > injector crack point sooner, leading to a slight pre injection on the first stage that can up the combustion chamber pressure briefly before TDC and the main injection stage2? Or is the point of pressure release to the injectors controlled mechanically or electrically?
2. Higher pressure to the injectors so a more atomised spray?
3. Will the more fuel into the chamber not cause higher fuel consumption under light load or is the pressure cut off to the injectors also controlled and the excess is bled off back to the fuel tank?
2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D
Old 20-07-12
Valued Member

Thanks 4eP

answer to q. 1. Yes, correct. Having more pressure there, if you could plot fuel delivery, means that at say 10% into the injection cycle you have more fuel being burnt. However one could hardly call this changing the timing of injection in the true sense of the word.

1a Its electronic.

2. Yes

3. Remapping the fuel curve USUALLY means BETTER fuel economy simply from being able to get off the throttle earlier. With our Chip when cruising the chip is not chipping. Only when you need the power is the chip actually modifying anything. This is the way it should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ePikanini View Post
Thank you so much.

The first company that responds in a factual way instead of sales jargon.

so if I understand correctly the chip allows more diesel into the chamber that compresses the diesel and sends it to the injector.

Does that mean....

1. the injector fires slightly earlier due to the extra fuel > extra pressure > injector crack point sooner, leading to a slight pre injection on the first stage that can up the combustion chamber pressure briefly before TDC and the main injection stage2? Or is the point of pressure release to the injectors controlled mechanically or electrically?
2. Higher pressure to the injectors so a more atomised spray?
3. Will the more fuel into the chamber not cause higher fuel consumption under light load or is the pressure cut off to the injectors also controlled and the excess is bled off back to the fuel tank?

Office 02 8090 1881
Old 21-07-12
Valued Member

OK. I'm saving up for one. That answers my questions and I'm happy with what it does and understand it now.
2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D
Old 23-07-12
Valued Member

Thanks 4ePikanini

Office 02 8090 1881