X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JanP
    • Nov 2007

Mitchell Falls

I plan to do the Gibb River Road early June detouring to Mitchell Falls.
    I have read that the Camp Creek Crossing near Mitchell Falls is usually 1 metre deep during the dry season.
    I would appreciate information from anyone who has done this crossing and any precautions to take i.e. fitting a blind, etc.
    I am driving a diesel NP Pajero with ARB suspension and 40mm. lift.
  • marquis
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Newcastle

Let the vehicle cool down a bit before crossing (diffs/trans) so they don't suck as much water in. I always carry a few blue tarps

Rough road - let your tyres down a bit and you'll be fine. If worried take a satphone and find out the local servo numbers.
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

• Mitsi Lover
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JanP View Post
      I plan to do the Gibb River Road early June detouring to Mitchell Falls.
      I have read that the Camp Creek Crossing near Mitchell Falls is usually 1 metre deep during the dry season.
      I would appreciate information from anyone who has done this crossing and any precautions to take i.e. fitting a blind, etc.
      I am driving a diesel NP Pajero with ARB suspension and 40mm. lift.
      JanP
      I worked for the Kununurra RAC of WA for a while.
      One thing to avoid is having to get them to come and get you in the event of an immobilised vehicle.
      It used to be a very expensive exercise when I was there.

Comment

• Kemsley
        • Apr 2008
        • Brisbane

Hi,

I was there in June 2008 and the deepest crossing was the King Edward river on the road into the Mitchell Falls NP. It will really depend on when the rain stopped as to how deep the crossings will be but you can enquire at Drysdale River Station which you will pass on the way there. It took us a day to travel from Drysdale River Station to the Mitchell Falls NP campground. The state of the road may cause more problems than any river due to the large and never ending vehicle breaking corrugations.

Here is a pic of the crossing at King Edward River,.

We were in a stock NS Pajero so the water was a max of about 600mm deep. What I did apart from wade through and look for any big rocks or holes was to wait for someone else to come along. This allows for the car to cool down as well as you when you jump in! Camping along this river near the crossing is also great.

Just past this crossing heading in the direction of Mitchell Falls there is a track to the left. No signs and well used but definitely worth a look as is the next unsigned but well used track to the right.

If you are going along the Gibb River road, the Pentacost River crossing is the longest and potentially the deepest. This one is a definite wait and see as there are crocs around at the crossing. Again no problems when I was there. It will just depend on when the wet season finishes. There are many more water crossings along the Gibb River Road and the Kalumbaru Road and the Mitchell Falls Road but all should be no problem for a well prepared vehicle. Just take your time with the crossings. Most of the crossings are dry by August-September.

Have a great trip.

Have a look here for some more of my pics. http://picasaweb.google.com/kemsley.cope/Kimberly#
        I used to have a NS X DiD Shorty
        Now I drive a VW Amarok

Comment

• JanP
          • Nov 2007

Thank you for the information.
          I am looking forward to the trip and hope all goes well.

Comment

• NL TAS
            • Sep 2008

We were fortunate to travel through the Kimberelys in 2009. As mentioned above the only major water crossing to the Mitchell Plateau Track is the King Edward River. Was looking forward to the crossing, however the dau before they filled the crossing with rocks, was lucku enough to get the wheel rims wet. Anyhow most people travel to the King Edward River campsite, sped the night then travel onto the Falls,depending on condition can take up to 4 hours. Definitely worth ther trip.
            Attached Files

Comment

• steveandviv
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Broome

Our crossing was also on the low side, you can't get there now though as the river is at 2 metres :-) There is a real change you won;t get from Kununarra for quite some time yet as all that rain is flowing along the Penticost (SP) The Gibb is closed for most of it - we'll see how it goes. My wife is the fiance manger at the Broome visitors centre so send me a pm closer to the time and we can ask the station direct
              2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X