• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckwan028
    • Oct 2007
    • Sydney

Open fire - definition

Hi All,

Is cooking on a fire pit consider as open fire?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
  • Zigmeister
    • Jul 2018
    • Sunshine Coast Qld

Originally posted by ckwan028 View Post
    Hi All,

Thanks

We were cooking on our enclosed brazier once and a ranger made us extinguish it. He said everything except a gas stove was considered an open fire. I don't agree with it but that's my experience.
    2014 NW Exceed, 40mm TJM lift, M&H catch can, EGR delete, Engine Watchdog

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

I would say yes, because there is the possibility of an ember flying out and starting a fire.

Check with your states rural/country fire authority about what is allowed during both the fire restriction season and on total fire ban days.

In SA,

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• skins2380
        • Jun 2015
        • ACT

Well this may be opening a can of worms as to differing opinion. But in my opinion YES especially when it it considered during periods of fire restrictions with regards to the term naked or open flames .Doesn't matter if your cooking on it or not. One definition I found says, " Definition of Open flame. Open flame means any activity or device producing a flame, including, but not limited to candles, tiki torches, oil lanterns, butane burners, incense, campfires, bonfires, grills, and fire pits."

Comment

• Wazza999
          • Jun 2018
          • Canberra

Hi All,

Thanks

It seems that regulations refer to solid fuel rather than open fire. Extract of the NSW RFS total fire ban rules:
          Can I use an electric barbeque?
          You can use an electric barbeque for cooking as long as it is under the direct control of a responsible adult, who is present at all times while it is operating, and no combustible material is allowed within two metres at any time it is operating.

Can I use a gas barbeque?
          You can use a gas barbeque under the following conditions:

>It is under the direct control of a responsible adult, who is present at all times while it is operating;
          >No combustible material is allowed within two metres at any time it is operating;
          >You have an immediate and continuous supply of water; and
          >The barbeque is within 20 metres of a permanent private dwelling such as a home; or
          >The barbeque is within a designated picnic area and the appliance is approved by Council, National Parks or State Forest.
          Can I use a barbeque or pizza oven which burns solid fuel (e.g. wood, charcoal or heat beads)?
          No. A barbeque or wood fire pizza oven which uses solid fuel, such as wood, charcoal or heat beads, cannot be used outside during a Total Fire Ban.

Comment

• insect_eater
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2015
            • Canberra

Hi All,

Is cooking on a fire pit consider as open fire
            I think the term you need to consider is 'fire' or 'campfire', rather than open fire.

For example "open fire" is infrequently used in legislation now. In NSW it is used in the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (ie. pollution management) where it is defined as:
            "open fire" or "fire in the open" means any fire in which the products of combustion are not directed to the open air by a stack or chimney."
            But this is unlikely to be used by a ranger in a park in NSW.

But more realistically, the answer depends where you are (which state or territory, status of land, if reserve, which particular reserve), the fuel type you are using, and the fire hazard status at the time.

For example: In NSW national parks, pay particular attention to the third point:
            NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE REGULATION 2019 - REG 17
            Lighting of fires
            17 LIGHTING OF FIRES
            (1) A person must not in a park--
            (a) light, maintain or use a fire --
            (i) if there are fireplaces designated for that purpose by a park authority--elsewhere than in such a fireplace, or
            (ii) if there are no fireplaces designated for that purpose--elsewhere than in a temporary fireplace situated at least 4.5 metres from any log or stump and at least 1.5 metres from any other flammable material, or
            (iii) in any case--in contravention of a notice erected or displayed or given to a park user by a park authority regulating the use of fire in the park, or
            (iv) when a total fire ban has been imposed under the Rural Fires

A worked example in Qld for Fraser Island, which has the following regulations specific to this park:
            (Selected extracts)Are fires permitted?
            No. Campfires are prohibited on K'gari.

The only exception to this prohibition is in the communal fire rings provided by Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service and Partnerships at Dundubara main and Dundubara group camping areas, and Waddy Point camping areas (top and beachfront).

Campers wishing to use these fire rings must:
            be aware that no firewood is provided at these sites
            bring clean firewood—not bush wood—such as milled timber off-cuts, and firelighters for ignition, as collecting wood or kindling from the national park is an offence.
            No fires permitted when QPWS&P-declared fire prohibitions or total fire bans are in place.
            How can I cook without a fire?
            Bring fuel or gas stoves for cooking.
            A fully enclosed cooking or heating appliance, preferably using gas or fuel, can be used at all camping areas unless a total fire ban is in place.

The appliance must use only manufactured fuel.
            It must be used for cooking and/or heating only.
            It must be 20cm off the ground.
            Manufactured fuel does not include timber or wood.
            Appliances that are not fully self-contained, such as braziers, are not permitted.
            All appliances, materials and fuels (e.g. heat beads) must be removed from the national park on departure."
            https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/k...aser/about/faq

Generally portable fire pits are not permitted in national parks , eg in Victoria:
            "In National and State Parks, campfires and barbecues may only be lit in properly constructed fireplaces provided" It is not clear that this even permits the use of a fire pit placed within a provided fire ring or place.
            https://www.ffm.vic.gov.au/__data/as...qbrouchure.pdf

Generally, you may be able to construct fireplaces in state forests, and may be able to use fire pits.

In my experience fire pits are great for use on private land (non TFB days), everywhere else they either fall outside the definition of a permitted campfire, or fall into a grey zone that may be subject to the discretion of the authorised officer taking account of the degree to which environmental, amenity, safety, and wildfire risks are being managed.

Although I knew this at the time, such a caveat was certainly not provided to me when I bought a fire pit.....it should be.....
            Last edited by insect_eater; 20-10-20, 11:16 PM.
            NX GLX manual, T13, XD9000, Koni RAID, Ultragauge, ISI carrier, pioneer platform, Lithium auxillary

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Hi All,

Thanks

In my humble opinion, it is about as open a fire as you can get in relation to camp fires.

But it isn't a ground fire,

So it will kill the grass from heat, but won't bake the earth beyond repair.

The likes of Drifta offer a stand you can put a base on & either Drifta fire pit or Quokka also come with a base but no stand.
              I want one of these & may buy Drifta stand at some stage, as easier on the grass, upsets people less & more acceptable
              Looking for a convenient and portable way to enjoy campfires? Check out Quokka Folding Fire Pits and Camping Accessories - perfect for on-the-go adventures!

I stopped at 4 places in NSW, 2 were private & used a Kings fire pit was no problems, cost me $50 think there about $80 now

One was little camp ground whom has permit to allow ground fires near Cresent Head, this is rare, but i used a fire pit anyhow, one was private property campground, two were on a river bank OUR land the people/ crown land.

I used fire pit no ground fires allowed, Sunshine coast private campground of Hicamp few weeks back, he doesn't mind fire pits but no ground fires allowed.

Ground fires bake the earth, change the chemistry due to extensive heat, very hard for grasses to grow back.

If it says no open fires, in my opinion thats one thats open, like a fire pit
              Last edited by Jasonmc73; 21-10-20, 07:49 AM.
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• WHID
                • Oct 2019
                • Melbourne

Is . . . a fire pit consider(ed) as (an) open fire?
                My two cents worth and I have some experience.

It will depend upon the context in which the fire is being proposed.

In suburban areas where councils prohibit 'open fires', it will usually include all fires in the open where solid fuel is burnt. Examples would be, a hāngi, garden incinerators and even sometimes solid fuel pizza ovens. Gas fired cooking devices are usually exempted in this context.

Across the greater continent and in the open, on days of 'Total Fire Ban' it is a very different kettle of fish. In these circumstances all fires, gas fired or not, are explicitly banned. Even welding is verboten, though a permit, in certain circumstances is sometimes available.

In short and broad terms, a 'Fire Pit' would be classified as an open fire.

Helpfully yours . . . have been known as an igniter of fires . . .
                Last edited by WHID; 25-10-20, 11:47 PM.
                Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• nj swb
                  Resident
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Adelaide

"open fire" means "all weapons"!

What do you mean Flash Gordon approaching?
                  - Open fire - all weapons
                  - Despatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body
                  NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X