• Show
Clear All
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Do you think he has enough lights?

Saw this at my local Bunnings.
    This was not even all of them - there were some of those obnoxious fog lights in the bull bar that blind everyone else as well.

Nice touch how the small LED spots obscure the headlights too!
    Attached Files
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Haha.
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Very disappointed to see he has not got a triple row light bar on top of his bullbar. Just to be sure he has enough light he could also fit a hand held spotlight on front passenger and drivers door as well. Triple row lightbar on roof rack would help also.

Some people just fall into the "wanker" class very easily!!
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

I think he is afraid of the dark.

Comment

• NFT5
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Canberra

It's the same old story....

If you buy cheap, rubbish lights then they simply won't do the job and you have to buy more cheap, rubbish lights to make up for the shortfalls.

This tale of woe begins with those multi-focal disasters that sit in the headlight pods, and just gets worse from there.

The silly thing is that he's probably spent more on junk than it would have cost to have a set of really good headlights and driving lights.

Chris

Comment

• Hatto
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2013
            • Mandurah WA

Looks cool though!
            Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
            ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Hatto View Post
              Looks cool though!

Wash your mouth out...
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• GHendo
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2012
                • Northern NSW

Maybe Toyota's EOM lights are really shit

Geoff
                03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• NFT5
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • Canberra

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
                  Maybe Toyota's EOM lights are really shit

Geoff

Nope.

Toyota use one of the better known Japanese brands like Koito. They actually make very good lights, especially in the standard 7" size. He's replaced the factory semi-sealed beams with those multi-faceted atrocities which, as I said before, was the start of his problems. Had he just done a bulb upgrade, or even changed the lights over to the good Cibies, he would have had better headlights to start with.
                  Last edited by NFT5; 02-10-19, 06:37 PM.
                  Chris

Comment

• Oven
                    • May 2020
                    • Sidney

It looks cool! I think this is an interesting idea!

Comment

• Bru9
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2014
                      • Victoria

Well it pays to have some real world experience...

No driving lights to date hit the sides for cornering, lowrange bushwork. SOOOO many vids of guys with their generic setup flooding the track & they are completley unaware of how bad their setups are. Often your eyes get sick of the light so you need smarter setups to actually hit the vital areas. Virtually all lightbars produce the same old beam pattern & can't even give a true 180 wall of light. long roof mounted lightbars are a complete joke & massive waste of lumens if you buy quality. But 1lux at 1km...And the stedi beamshots man!!!

Sorry to say you can spot someone who has no clue when their headlamps are left stock...
                      There are smarter setups but some guys are stuck in the mainstream, like 90grand cruisers with exhusts, mud tyres, chips, and a tail gate for a kicthen bench...
                      2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• disco stu
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2018
                        • Wollongong

Brings up a good point I've been pondering lately. I bought some lights recently as they were cheap, what I really want is something angled out to the sides and I'm still tempted to fit some small ones to shine 45deg out from the bar.

I do want good light shooting ahead though for spotting animals a fair way off, but my thought was exactly the same as yours-when I'm 4wd'ing I don't need to see 500m up a track, I need to see what is around me really well. Flood beam seems much smarter than spotlights. Mine appear to be flood and spot, but how well it does the flood we will see. One temptation is to fit a diffuser to the front to increase the flood of the light

Comment

• Two Emms
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2020
                          • Mansfield, Vic

My son has mounted two led 'worklights' to his troop carrier at the ends of his bullbar pointing out at about 45 degrees for exactly what you describe.
                          Nowhere near as dazzling ( or as pricy) as driving lights.
                          2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Toyo Open Country AT3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, Tanami x11, more to come...

Comment

• glsgls
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2007

like most Toyota drivers ,they have just not seen the light yet lol

Comment

• Scrambler
                              • Jul 2018
                              • Toowoomba, Qld

There are 2 elements with lighting. At highway speeds, on sealed roads while in rural areas, you want long distance straight ahead (to see cattle on the road) and wide angle at nearer range (to see roos waiting to jump in front of you). Traditionally this was one light for each.

My Pajero came with aftermarket led driving lights that brightly fit the second characteristic plus mid-range on the straight ahead. They don't reach as well as traditional pencil beams.

Off- road at lower speeds you don't need the pencils beam. But 110km/hr across the outback I'd want them still. Depends on your use.
                              =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                              =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X