• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lazarus
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Melbourne, Western suburbs

Best solution to slow charging process would be just to swap batteries at the petrol station.
    They should come up with some kind industry standard, where there would be one or two types of energy cells (batteries) to just swap.
    Similar concept already exists in all SF movies .... why not implement it in real life like everything else.
    NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank, GME XRS 370c.

Comment

• littleriver
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2013
      • Queensland

The design, described in a new study, could get drivers on the road in the time it takes to brew a morning coffee.
      2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Originally posted by Onsan View Post
        I’m keen to see an electric 4WD market, but that is one ugly car.
        Why are you keen to see a market?

Are we there yet, not in a long shot.

So your two week 4wd adventure is planned on having to arrive at a set charging station so you can recharge overnight in the hope it isn't being utilised when you arrive. You cant then camp from the vehicle. You limit your destinations due to charge point locations. At best you need to set aside an hour for 50Km of range. Your range being markedly reduced if you are tapping this resource to keep towed vehicle electrics also charged, not to mention range will drop dramatically if towing and/or in 4wd terrain (do they even have a towbar?). And to make matters worse, these "outback" charge points will be making the majority of their electricity from the very source the fluffy bunny brigade are attempting to steer us away from - yep - diesel. The conversion of diesel into electricity being far less efficient than converting diesel into mechanical motion by the internal combustion engine. No carbon emission saving there.....

No doubt there is a list a mile long of reasons why this wont work in a touring situation. Electric 4wd vehicles need a quantum leap of technology to evolve before ever becoming a reality in this country.

And the elephant in the room: I predict some pretty pissed off EV owners when in 10 years the battery packs have lost all their efficiency and require replacement - at half the purchase cost of the new vehicle.

Imaging having to replace the diesel donk in your Paj every 10 years. You wouldn't buy one if that was the case. That's the scale of the economy of EV's atm.

We have a loooong way to go. More so for a 4wd EV.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• littleriver
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2013
          • Queensland

The launch ..
          2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

But wait there’s more ...

As I mentioned there is a lot of research and development going on ... here’s a bit more

Comment

• sharkcaver
              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Originally posted by littleriver View Post
              But wait there’s more ...

As I mentioned there is a lot of research and development going on ... here’s a bit more

Correct, R+D. Not ready for market nor cost effective atm. We still have a long way to go. That's not to say we wont get there, but it wont be next week either.
              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
                Best solution to slow charging process would be just to swap batteries at the petrol station.
                They should come up with some kind industry standard, where there would be one or two types of energy cells (batteries) to just swap.
                Similar concept already exists in all SF movies .... why not implement it in real life like everything else.
                I like the way your thinking 💭... ...

As many countries already are making fossil fuel vehicles obsolete ... the day will come where we will have no option but follow the trends ... it’s the future ...

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                  Correct, R+D. Not ready for market nor cost effective atm. We still have a long way to go. That's not to say we wont get there, but it wont be next week either.
                  I totally agree... my prediction is 25 yrs to eliminate fossil fuels

Although possibly there could already be solutions but the multi billionaire fossil fuel companies are holding back from letting it progress faster then they can reinvest their funds ... we are already seeing less concern for the take holds of oil producing countries with the big players & even troops pulling out ...

Comment

• Drewan
                    • Apr 2017
                    • Adelaide

Roof top tent on a towed 7kva generator ?
                    Over capitalized NK.I'm running out of things to add to it it died , now a SWB NJ with all the good stuff from the NK on it .

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

I agree that practical battery EVs for the remote touring I like to do are a long way off. But I expect the next step in the evolution to be hybrid technology, like Toyota's Hybrid or Mitsubishi's HEV / PHEV platform. For remote area touring they will still require a lot of fossil fuel, but by supplementing IC torque with electric torque they should be able trade off the big turbo diesel for a smaller turbo (something), to help compensate for the weight of the copper and batteries.

The other potential solution is hydrogen power, which seems to be attracting a lot of attention lately. Hydrogen goes from tank to fuel cell, generates electricity to turn the wheels (and there's generally a battery in there somewhere too). Also needs lots of infrastructure for refuelling stations, but arguably the technology shouldn't be much different from the natural gas infrastructure we have around the country.

I hope my next 4wd will be some form hybrid, but I haven't seen it yet. At my age, and with my habit of hanging onto vehicles for a long time, it could also be my last 4wd.
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• littleriver
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • Queensland

I went to buy the new Tesla Cybertruck today in Dubai! I also went to see a couple of friends to get their opinion of the car. Hopefully I'll have it in my d...

Order made ...

Comment

• Lazarus
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Melbourne, Western suburbs

No wonder USA is installing their own puppet government in Bolivia, most richest country on the planet with lithium....
                          NW 2014 MY14 GLX-R, auto, BushSkinz bashplates, Pedders TrakRyder foam cell 2' lift, Falken AT3W LT, Rhino Pioneer 6 platform, flip key, Redarc BCDC40 and 135 amps lithium battery, Torque Pro OBD, EVC Throttle controller, ARB Compressor, LED lights (internal and outside), ARB Frontier 128L long range fuel tank, GME XRS 370c.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
                            No wonder USA is installing their own puppet government in Bolivia, most richest country on the planet with lithium....

Australia has been run run by puppets for decades.....either sawdust or air in the headspace.
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Paul NT
                              • Aug 2018
                              • Emerald, Vic

We have a hybrid at home, (4L per 100km) and a diesel Pajero for touring, but ultimately may have no choice, and wrt charging, solar is free, it's a no brainer. The same was said when we went from horses to cars.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                                Valued Member
                                • Jun 2019
                                • Brisbane

Originally posted by Paul NT View Post
                                We have a hybrid at home, (4L per 100km) and a diesel Pajero for touring, but ultimately may have no choice, and wrt charging, solar is free, it's a no brainer. The same was said when we went from horses to cars.
                                Theirs not much chance of any free lunches, the government is currently the biggest earner from wheels turning, fuel excise tax about 0.418 cents per litre + the GST on the sale another 10%.
                                Fuel excise alone sits somewhere around $19 billion a year + the GST on the total sale.

You will pay to fill up your electric car one way or the other long term

Short term yeah sure bash up the fuel excise to fill the gap, long term once we are all on board i suppose then up goes each fill up??
                                I don't know but one things for sure, we will be paying.

One article

The government will commence a review early this year into fuel tax in the face of Australia's "imminent" uptake of electric and driverless cars.
                                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X