Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

lockup-mate for the Pajero NS (2007-2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

lockup-mate for the Pajero NS (2007-2008)

The NS (Diesel) has just joined the stables of lockup-mate.

I spent the weekend adapting the kit and it all went very smoothly.

The NS has the JATCO transmission whereas the NT+ has the AISIN.
    Here are some observation of lockup-mate in the NS (compared to the NT+)

Pros:
    1. You get lockup in 1st gear. The engine braking in low range 1st seems a bit better too, but was hard to measure as I didn't have a very steep hill available to try.
    2. There is no 'jerk mode' [YAY!!]. This mode happens on the NT+(only) whereby sometimes the transmission ECU goes into 1st gear too early as you slow down, which causes you to jerk forward in your seat a little. It then also wont let you change up from 1st gear into 2nd until 2800rpm. - there is a work-around coming...

Cons:
    1. The engagement of the lockup-clutch is not as smooth- mainly noticeable under light-medium acceleration. The solenoid operation in the NT+ allows for a smooth engagement profile, whereas the JATCO is kinda binary on-off. No amount of gentle persuasion seemed to help.
    2. When locked-up in 1st gear and crawling (say 2000 rpm) - 5kph or so, an emergency stop will stall the engine. Normal firm braking is ok. Under the emergency stop the 4 wheel essential stop immediately. The computer doesn't get chance to see that the RPM dropping rapidly to then unlock.

So, a couple of big wins for the NS!!

Before I release it I'm waiting for feedback from the test vehicle, which will be towing over the upcoming weekend.

Web-site now has the NS listed as an option, so you can pre-order - but delivery will be 4-6 weeks once I'm happy all is 100% ok.

But, if you live in Adelaide I have one unit ready to try immediately for an extra vehicle in which to check its operation.
    Last edited by m_and_m; 04-06-18, 11:49 PM.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's
  • P4J3R0
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2013
    • Brisbane

Keen.

Happy to test if you want to send it to brisbane.
    NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• ticky
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2015
      • Adelaide

Well done Marshall.

It's good to see more vehicles able to use the Lockup Mate. I am so happy with mine, and in the morning I will be trying it out in some sand. Going up past Karoonda so similar terrain to Peake.

With a bit of luck, I might pick up a bunny or 2 as well.

Steve
      2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Garc
        • May 2015
        • Perth

I’m a bit concerned about the engagement being not as smooth as the standard change. As standard the change is quite smooth so I’m hesitant to take on something which is not as good. However the other (towing) benefits are still great. Is there any way to make the change smoother?
        I’m not so worried about stalling in 1st as I think it unlikely that I would use it in 1st. But can it be programmed to switch off when 1st is engaged?
        Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• m_and_m
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Garc View Post
          I’m a bit concerned about the engagement being not as smooth as the standard change. As standard the change is quite smooth so I’m hesitant to take on something which is not as good.
          However the other (towing) benefits are still great. Is there any way to make the change smoother?
          I’m not so worried about stalling in 1st as I think it unlikely that I would use it in 1st. But can it be programmed to switch off when 1st is engaged?
          Unfortunately no free lunches. Use the torque converter for smooth changes and get high transmission temps, or compromise smoothness a little to protect it.

Although it's not 'as smooth', it's also not bad. Not jerky or anything, and it's only when the car is light. When there is a heavy load on the back of the car, like the van, the smoothness returns.
          So, to make it smoother stick a caravan on the back

Yes, it can be programmed to not lockup in 1st gear.
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• PAJ30
            • Oct 2011
            • Townsville

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
            Web-site now has the NS listed as an option, so you can pre-order - but delivery will be 4-6 weeks once I'm happy all is 100% ok.
            I wish they were ready a little bit early, I am heading to Maytown and will do the coach road again and as I have done it before having first locked would give me better control on some of those steep hills. So When the kits are ready I am ready just let me know.
            NS Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition with family pack. ARB Sahara bar with winch, dual batts, 2inch lift and 275/65R18's BFG Race pipe and HPD can and rear diff lock.

Comment

• Garc
              • May 2015
              • Perth

Thanks M for the info, the Pros outweigh the Cons so I’m off to put in my order
              Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Kings 120A lithium battery in rear cargo area, Renogy DCDC charger, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

• P4J3R0
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2013
                • Brisbane

So I ordered one and it arrived very promptly.

Got home from work, 9pm. Had a beer and dinner and read the super detailed and illustrated instructions. Very easy to follow instructions. Out on the driveway in the dark I did the whole fitout and soldered the wires. All done in 90min.

Test drive around the block and holy crap, what a change. Lockup is nice and crisp now with a heavy right foot. Sports mode is amazing and almost makes it feel like a manual, being locked up gives you some extra braking when slowing and locking up when on the gas means that frustrating slip no longer exists, it just locks and goes. Easy to turn off on the fly by just pressing the led button. Adjustments to engagement and led are all very easy to do on the side of the road to suit your driving style and light levels.

The fit and finish of the kit is outstanding! Honestly one of the best quality and finished products I have ever bought. Even down to the detailed 3D printed led and switch. Amazing!

Marshall has made a super product and I’m sure the other guys who have these kits on their pajeros and challengers would agree with me that the detailed though process behind these kits is a credit to the commitment and ingenuity of Marshall.

Great work.
                NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Good news. Waiting for bank balance to improve this week and I will order one for my mate.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• PAJ30
                    • Oct 2011
                    • Townsville

Originally posted by PAJ30 View Post
                    I wish they were ready a little bit early, I am heading to Maytown and will do the coach road again and as I have done it before having first locked would give me better control on some of those steep hills. So When the kits are ready I am ready just let me know.
                    Finally just ordered mine, now to hurry up and wait
                    NS Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition with family pack. ARB Sahara bar with winch, dual batts, 2inch lift and 275/65R18's BFG Race pipe and HPD can and rear diff lock.

Comment

• m_and_m
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by PAJ30 View Post
                      Finally just ordered mine, now to hurry up and wait
                      Order received and shipping today.

Comment

• PAJ30
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Townsville

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                        Order received and shipping today.
                        Thanks, Mate look forward to the install and to future product releases

Comment

• P4J3R0
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Brisbane

From my build thread.

AND the lockup kit from MM 4X4.

Holy crap, what an amazing difference it makes. With the larger tyres the factory programming for the AT is a little out and the TC like to slip. With the kit it just locks and goes. Has completely changed the car.

Biggest thing is the quality of components and the super detailed instructions. Easily the best instructions for any product I have ever bought. Full of pictures and explanations on how to complete each step.

Get it, you will never look back !
                          NS Pajero, with stuff.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X