• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Isabel
    • Jul 2008
    • southern Sydney

Don't drive through floodwater

Look at the last picture, "I've a snorkel so I'm good to go".
    It is simply mind blowing.

The Collaroy Aphrodite, what do you thing the foam is she is bathing in?

The Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe thunderstorm warning late on Tuesday for parts of the northern rivers, mid north coast, north west slopes and other areas.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2019
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Isabel View Post
      Look at the last picture, "I've a snorkel so I'm good to go".
      It is simply mind blowing.

The Collaroy Aphrodite, what do you thing the foam is she is bathing in?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ney-TODAY.html

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by GHendo View Post
        This happened near where I live – the same creek runs through our property. Oh, and it is nowhere near Nimbin, as mentioned in the report.

As you can see from the “Google” photo I’ve attached, there is a big drop off the side where her car went down and the pressure of the water going over there would have been tremendous.

If she’d got out and tried walking into the water before crossing, she should have realized it wasn’t a good idea – you can see from the video of them walking out, the level of the water was up to their chests.

I brought our cattle across the creek earlier to get them up off the flat. The crossing I used (on our property) had water over the top of my rubber boot, so it was about 600mm. deep – that wasn’t the problem, it was the force of the current that presented a danger and I would have been hesitant about driving through, however the stockman with me drove his ute across without any problems.

The councils now seem to get jumpy very easily and start blocking-off roads – yet the one in this incident wasn’t closed. Most of the time they start closing very early when it is still possible to get through. We went into town on Friday (I think this incident happened on Saturday) and the websites, including the local newspaper, said the road to town was closed. We’ve lived here for the best part of 50 years and you get to know where will be flooded by the levels of the water in the paddocks and the creek. We though we’d get through ok, and when we drove in, there was no indication that the water had been anywhere near the sides of the road, so I don’t know where they got their information. The area where this lady was heading has a lot of new homes and people who have migrated from the city live there. Local experienced knowledge is what is needed in flood time and many of the imports probably lack this.

The big danger in driving through water, besides the current and the depth, is that you can’t see where you’re going, and imagine if that woman had been a bit off course and driven over a bit to the side where the big drop-off is – they would probably both be dead.

You just can’t barrel off into flooded water without investigating. Thinking back, I’ve been very lucky and got away with driving through a lot of flood water when I was younger – not in 4WDs either – just sedans. Nowadays I’m much more careful and tend to let discretion be the better part of valor.

Geoff
        Common sense is required is the way I see it.
        The water pressure from flowing water with a bit of depth & your gonski.
        Glorious drop of rain I must add
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X