• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brw0513
    • Apr 2018
    • Brisbane

Help Please - NL 6G74, Data Logging and ECU Map Viewing

Hi all.

I have a keen interest to learn more about how my 6G74 is performing in my NL SWB.

A mate at work has a Mitsubishi Evo VI and he loaned me his OBD cable and notebook with EvoScan software. I had some success in viewing sensor output but now need to do some more exploring to satisfy the nerd within. Ideally I'd like to log some trips commuting and sand driving to see how the engine is behaving.

I'm also very keen to see the fuel and ignition map (s). Not to change anything, just to look and wonder.

Could someone please comfirm what hardware and software I need?

I think this is the cable:

Tactrix - OpenPort 2.0 Universal USB Cable - In Stock. Datalogging and EcuFlash Reprogramming Cable. Includes Mitsubishi(x1) Connector. Subaru connectors purchased separately.

But what software is required?

Good advice appreciated.

Thanks.
    Ian B
    1998 NL SWB 6G74 Manual
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

evoscan is needed - be aware that installing it on teh same machine as ecuflash needs some messing around with files but if you google it there are instructions. I have also had issues getting ti to work on my windows 10 laptop but that may be just me.

You need to configure the evoscan to the mits mut111 setting and click start data log. not everything will come up with readings as its a generic logger, I go through and untick a lot of stuff and select display selected items.

be aware that what you see is evoscans interpretation of what the ecu is doing, afr's are not the afr you actually have but what the ecu is trying to get to, you need to verify with a wideband that what the ecu is targeting and what is happening are the same. I also found the load ouput is a bit weird - there are 2 I found and one seems to read 2/3 of what the ecu is registering and the other a bit under double..... what you can get from it however is good data for before and after scenarios. and I have used this alot with my supercharger install

I am using the OP2 unit and the mitsi flash cable
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

Maps if they PB is playing the game again...
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• disco stu
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2018
        • Wollongong

Mitsilogger is another for logging-is that correct Stumagoo?

Also, is MUTiii correct, or MUTii? (MUT2 vs MUT3 if there are too may "i's")

I haven't done much with any of this recently, been too busy stuffing around with other things

Comment

• stumagoo
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Perth WA S.O.R

mut 2 is our interface i believe but for data logging it only connects on the mut 3 setting. no idea why but thats how I got it to work. I tried mitsilogger but I never got it working - so I cant comment on it.

A good resource to look up is Merlins evo tuning guide. it is based on Mitsi parameters and covers a lot of stuff we dont need but it also covers 90% of what is found in the Pajero h8 ecu's - it covers some of the basic uses of evoscan but is more for ecuflash use

Comment

• disco stu
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2018
            • Wollongong

Cheers. That explains it then.

Comment

• jeyare
              • Jun 2019
              • SVK

Re: Evoscan
              just to be sure:
              - are you able with Evoscan SW read MUT II fault codes (hidden in Torque Pro with MUT II plug-in)?
              - for this ability you need first flash the exist ECU by MMCFlash USB Module from Evoscan? Then enable Mode 23, what is same prerequisite of MUT 2 Torque Pro plugin for a proper operation.
              - for the flashing you need an interface within your laptop and OBD = an OpenPort logging/reflashing cable & of course Evoscan SW.

I'm just little bit surprised, that no contact at official web of Evoscan : evoscan.com
              no support there

My interest is find another/advanced resources for better fault diagnostic.

Comment

• stumagoo
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Perth WA S.O.R

Mutt2 is not OBD2 and I do not believe any normal OBD2 software will read it. Evoscan works when set best mutt3 and I use ecuflsah to rewrite the ecu. voltage is really important - my little modern laptop is very tempremental about reflashing and I have lost 3 ecus wiht it - I believe it is a combination of the battery supply in the laptop being weak and the vehicles battery (should be hooked up to a charger) The reflash cable needs to see 14+ volts and with the to power supplies being small/weak I think that is my problem

Comment

• jeyare
                  • Jun 2019
                  • SVK

thx. understand difference between OBD and MUT (protocol).
                  As I wrote, I don’t need MUT for a tuning. My idea is obtain advanced logs by MUT protocols and to integrate them with exist OBD logs to predict future or nearly Faults. Basically OBD just provide simple info, but after some incident happened. There is few useful realtime sensor logs (by OBD), which can help you during simple diagnostic. MUT can provide more details from sensors operation.

Btw: here is an answer why the Mitsulogger doesn’t work
                  - pin 1 of the diagnostic connector needs to be grounded before MUT protocol negotiation can begin. Most of the MUT protocol negotiation info around the web was written based on Evo ECU behaviour, so tools like Malibu Jack's Mitsulogger and Donour Sizemore's libmut won't work with cars that require pin 1 grounded.

Comment

• disco stu
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2018
                    • Wollongong

You can't just manually ground pin 1 for that logging?

I did a bit of a google after reading your post and saw what they mentioned about certain OBD info on those cars. Not sure where you're located, but it seems like you're saying that you can get some info over OBD still. Here in Aus all of the info is MUT and you can't get anything via OBD protocol-unless you have a MUT reader we are completely locked out. I've been interested in a way of reading data as well to monitor how things are going

Comment

• jeyare
                      • Jun 2019
                      • SVK

it is not about geo-location. It is about a tools :-). I'm from Slovakia.

First:
                      You need an useful OBD-II device

Second:
                      Torque Pro APP - I have Android based Car radio, then OK

Third:
                      MUT plug-in for Torque Pro, done
                      ECU flashed to Mode23 ... what I'm looking for

Then you can read MUT protocol based sensors status

Back to OBD-II real-time logging (in sec.) via Torque Pro (running every day for me) - 3.2DiD 2008:
                      Catalyst Tempereture
                      EGR Commanded
                      EGR Error (both useful for EGR valve diagnostic)
                      Engine Coolant Temperature
                      Engine power kW/HP
                      Engine RPM
                      Fuel flow rate/hour(l/hr) or Fuel flow rate/minute(cc/min)
                      Fuel Rail Pressure(kpa)
                      Intake Air Temperature
                      Intake Manifold Pressure(kpa)
                      Mass Air Flow Rate(g/s)
                      Relative Throttle Position(%)
                      Throttle Position(Manifold)(%)
                      Transmission Temperature(Method 1)
                      Turbo Boost & Vacuum Gauge(bar)
                      Voltage, .... central control, OBD, ...
                      Volumetric Efficiency
                      ... and lot of useful info about the trip, speed, GPS, ..... (when you need to know all the sources)
                      Now I tried search hidden sensors (HEX) and qualified them.

Comment

• stumagoo
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • Perth WA S.O.R

you are trying to do something I have not seen done anywhere else - I have had no issues data logging with evoscan and as it requires no modding to anything its where I would be going

Comment

• disco stu
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2018
                          • Wollongong

Being Slovakia I imagine they set it up the same as Australia. I thought maybe you were usa where they implemented obd2a lot earlier. But seeing yours is 2008 it's well into obd2 times. I assumed you had a gen 2 also

Comment

• jeyare
                            • Jun 2019
                            • SVK

My Pajo comes from UAE. But still same as the European.
                            Yes of course, there is OBD2 and MUT2 support (checked).
                            Let me explain this idea to you:

1. Many of car problems come from describable event sequences. And there is limited amount of the events. Good message for data analyze.
                            2. Many of the events must be proven by some Fault codes observation - for many of "technicians" it is first bottleneck.
                            3. Trouble comes when the Fault codes are vague or the technician is not sufficient educated about particular kind of car/events or when you have "smart guy" from a dealership, who can help you with a solution - purchase whole unit instead of replacement of small part (real problem reason).
                            4. Second stage is when your car has problem, but no Fault codes discovered. Then the technician can just wait for a discovery of such event sequences. Or when the Fault codes are identified, but you have to check 5 different stuff, spend a time. And the labor time cost are higher and higher.

But think about:
                            - you have logs from car operation (all the sensors), everyday when car was operated
                            - you can send it to your email (it works), or laptop (it works), cloud share (it works), App. The CSV format from Torque Pro is perfect.
                            - then you can the data evaluate:
                            a) as amateur - by guide of describable event sequences
                            b) as expert - raw data for Big picture
                            or you are able to move the data to experts.

An example:
                            - last week it was miracle for me. Thanks to Old Jack now I know, that Pajo has auto-immune protection of A/T by Brake switch light. Me and my technician spent 3 days of discovering source of problem in Airflow, EGR, APPS, TPS, ... Nothing discovered. OMG, it was really bad.
                            - but if I will in future receive data for the evaluation:
                            a) APP sensor provides right information about pedal operation
                            b) Rev sensor about RPM during APP sensor data capture
                            c) EGR sensor about the EGR valve error (command vs. real), during the APP data capture
                            d) TPS sensor abot right values
                            e) ECU log about the Brake light switch (on/off), etc.
                            I will be able find the source immediately - by a guide based on describable event sequences (check the switch) or by past experiences.
                            In comparison with cost of:
                            a) dealership diagnostic (and evaluation: purchase new A/T ECU) it must be peanuts
                            b) garage repair shop labor cost diagnostic (missing knowledge) still must be peanuts.

Now I looking for the real-time diagnostic data capture by MUT2 protocol, Integrated by OBD2.
                            Then send it to my cloud and when problem comes, use the data for fast check/discovery.

Second point is a prediction of future problem, second example:
                            - when your APP sensor (up to kind of) provides consistently more and more difference between two measured values (pedal position in % and pedal Voltage) from both potentiometers. It is time to purchase new one. Or wait for an unusable car day - because damaged APP sensor is really dangerous for a car operation - specially for an incidental change of Voltage detected by ECU from APPS (you expected speed slow, but car doesn't that).

This is the whole story.

Comment

• jeyare
                              • Jun 2019
                              • SVK

look for my current environment:
                              - data from Torque Pro logged into car SD card
                              - synced permanently to my NAS, thanks to Synology DS cloud (but you can use any cloud solution for that
                              - then I have tool for Analyze of all the sensors behavior and able to find a relations in time
                              - there is a little step to prediction of future failure (e.g. EGR valve behavior, etc)
                              What I need to do is find some "power user" who can help me to understand all the data from sensors - safe range, min/max. values, relations with another sensor values, ....

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X