• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Escaping the Rona

The planets align.....Stood down from work just as the Govt relaxes group gatherings and allows camping once again. Campfire therapy: just the thing for putting rona behind us.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • disco stu
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2018
    • Wollongong

I was wondering for a while how you went all the way to the Murray river for a few nights camping!

I remember seeing a study done on pooing in the bush, and they found that urine broke things down a lot faster. I've figured that burying it and peeing on it will make sure it breaks down fairly quickly. Just leaving it laying around the campsite is just a whole other level

Sorry to hear about your work. Is it going to restart or is that it?

Comment

• sharkcaver
      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
      • May 2009
      • Perth

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
      I was wondering for a while how you went all the way to the Murray river for a few nights camping!

I remember seeing a study done on pooing in the bush, and they found that urine broke things down a lot faster. I've figured that burying it and peeing on it will make sure it breaks down fairly quickly. Just leaving it laying around the campsite is just a whole other level

Sorry to hear about your work. Is it going to restart or is that it?
      I recall a scientific study in Tassie where they were researching the breakdown of human waste in Alpine areas....going back 12 months later to dig it up and see how it went....no thanks. But I also recall the urine bit helping it to breakdown as well.

Yep, a different Murray, much smaller than the eastern states one.

All good with work. I volunteered for it. It was going to be for an indefinite time span, while rona was spreading its wings, however all I got was one week, then back to the mill.

So at least I got 3 nights in
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Poo Tickets, agree these are a major problem with so many travellers (pre COVID-19) not doing the right thing. Free camps are the worse!

I was taught as a young scout to dig a hole at least a foot deep (30cm/300mm for the young ones) do your business and then burn the toilet paper in the hole before filling the hole in with soil.
        Theory was that animals would come and dig it up and feast on your deposit and unearth the toilet paper and the paper be left as litter. Toilet paper needs moisture to breakdown so in arid/desert/outback areas the practice of burning the paper is essential.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• craka
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Poo Tickets, agree these are a major problem with so many travellers (pre COVID-19) not doing the right thing. Free camps are the worse!

I was taught as a young scout to dig a hole at least a foot deep (30cm/300mm for the young ones) do your business and then burn the toilet paper in the hole before filling the hole in with soil.
          Theory was that animals would come and dig it up and feast on your deposit and unearth the toilet paper and the paper be left as litter. Toilet paper needs moisture to breakdown so in arid/desert/outback areas the practice of burning the paper is essential.

OJ.
          Yeah pretty crap pardon the pun when that's left on the surface.

Where there is plenty of soil microorganism it is pretty remarkable how quickly faeces does break down.
          I have a relatively old home where there is an old bricked 'compost area' , I throw my dog's bi product in there, (as then I don't stink my bin etc out or have flies handing about) and cover with grass clipping within a couple months the bottom is like nice black humus looking soil.
          NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X