• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

Long range tank / jerry can alternative - flexitank video review

Hi guys,

with a short trip coming up heading out west up toward dubbo and gunnedah, I'd been keen to stretch the fuel range on the Paj over the 90L standard tank.

I've previously stuck with a couple of Jerry cans over the back but spotted this flexitank 55L diesel bladder on gumtree from the same fella I got the solar screens from and the water tank.

Having confidence that ol mates stuff was always in kept in good condition and it worked in his Paj, I knew I was onto a good thing from that perspective.

I also knew that these things retailed (when they were still made) up around the 8-900 mark.

Whilst I wouldn't have paid that price, I was more than happy to shell out 150 for his asking price without even haggling.

Luckily there were no cries of he wonaggle from the seller (yes thats a monty python reference)

This thing is solid as and very well made. With all joins and mountings being top notch

The tank itself has an inlet and outlet with the latter being the smaller of the 2 . All connections are fitted with cam lock type fittings which make for a positive join avoiding leaks

It also has a servo type nozzle for filling the car and a small but large volume inline pump making the job easy

Whilst I only went to 40L on the fill due to its first run and some improvements required from my technique. It went quite well.

The owner had made a fill extension from some pvc that made getting the fuel in that bit easier and cleaner.

I'll store the filler in the front of the caravan as leaving this in the Paj meant the smell of diesel stuck around in the car.

If I'd left that out, I don't think there would have been any smell issues at all.

I still need to work out the speed to fill it, as it tends to get an air lock and when you stop the flow, the air backs out the filler pipe. The first time it spat out a bit of diesel but I learned the lesson there.

This what it looked like behind the front seats with 40L in it.

I had to remove the busted inline switch from the pump and chose to use my DIY remote anderson plug switch box, which allowed me to control it from outside the vehicle.

All in all, I would say my experience with it was positive one for sure but there is room for improvements.

I was unable to get the last of the fuel out but will work on that next time.

I think I'll also build a box to stick it in for some additional security and protection at a later date.

The little pump can also be used to stick in a jerry can and pull fuel that way.

This would make it so much easier than lifting the can up to empty.

If anyone has some sugestions on techniques for emptying or filling such bladders, even water ones, I'd be interesting in hearing your tips.

ANy questions let me know.

and as always the video

cheers Brett
    Attached Files
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Good video and that looks like a great alternative to an aux tank, particularly since you don't have to carry that extra weight when it's not being used. Thanks for sharing.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• denmonkey
      • Oct 2017
      • Newcastle NSW

cheers Ian.

I think I'd like to come up with a plan to store it on the roof once emptied but I don't have much room up there.

Ive heard of people rolling them up but with all those connections, I dont see how that would be possible.

Comment

• whynot
        • Jan 2013
        • Brisbane

I researched using in vehicle fuel storage a year back. One comment made to me was that it is illegal to fill the storage unit while it is in the vehicle as filler must be external of vehicle. Does the storage bladder require an earth while filling? Just passing on info. I cannot say it is accurate.

Hopefully someone can vice you the facts regarding safe filling.
        Prado 150 petrol.
        Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
        Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

• denmonkey
          • Oct 2017
          • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by whynot View Post
          I researched using in vehicle fuel storage a year back. One comment made to me was that it is illegal to fill the storage unit while it is in the vehicle as filler must be external of vehicle. Does the storage bladder require an earth while filling? Just passing on info. I cannot say it is accurate.

Hopefully someone can vice you the facts regarding safe filling.

I sussed this one out before the purchase. here is what I found

In short, if you don't want to read diesel is fine but petrol is not.

There have been a surprising number of recent enquiries about the filling of containers with diesel from retail service station fuel dispensers. These enquiries appear to be attributable to industry chatter surrounding the recent revision of AS1940: The storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids. As most would be aware, diesel has a flash point of

here have been a surprising number of recent enquiries about the filling of containers with diesel from retail service station fuel dispensers. These enquiries appear to be attributable to industry chatter surrounding the recent revision of AS1940: The storage and handling of flammable and combustible liquids.
          As most would be aware, diesel has a flash point of 63 degrees C. It is therefore classified as a combustible liquid – as opposed to a flammable liquid – under the Australian Dangerous Goods Code and related Regulations.
          While AS 1940 imposes some limitations on the filling of containers at service stations with flammable liquids, it does not impose any restrictions on the dispensing of a combustible liquid (e.g. diesel) at a retail fuel outlet.
          For the absence of any doubt, Clause 7.6.3 of AS1940 identifies the requirements for filling of containers with flammable liquids at service station fuel dispensers as follows:
          7.6.3 Filling of containers at dispensers
          Flammable liquids shall not be filled from a service station’s fuel dispenser into a container unless-
          • The capacity of the container is not greater than 25L; and
          • The container complies with AS/NZS 2906 or equivalent Standard, or is reasonably leakproof, metal, and has a tight-fitting closure; or
          • The container is an approved fuel tank for a boat.

Any container shall be on the ground whilst being filled, and not in a car boot or the back of a utility vehicle.
          NOTE: Approved portable fuel tanks for boats may be filled in situ.
          In summary, diesel is a combustible liquid and is therefore not subject to the restrictions that apply to flammable liquids under Clause 7.6.3 of AS 1940, for the filling of containers at fuel retail outlets.
          Diesel can be dispensed into any size container, provided that normal safety precautions for dispensing combustible liquids are applied.

I've also seen diesel bladders designed to fit and take up an entire ute tray back which are filled there as they are just too big to lift once filled.

This one would be around 60kg if filled to the brim.

There is no way I'd be able to sling 60kegs into the car on my own in a bladder, that's for sure.

Hope that helps.

Comment

• whynot
            • Jan 2013
            • Brisbane

Thanks for the info.
            Prado 150 petrol.
            Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
            Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

• Kingbrown
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Port Augusta - SA

A friend who used to handle and transport bulk fuel has pointed out to me that they would take particular care when transferring diesel fuel into a vessel that had previously held petrol. Stringent earthing practices and a slow fill were essential.

The understanding was that the mix of vapours in their explosive range combined with an apparent propensity for diesel to generate static electricity meant that extra care and attention had to be taken when putting diesel into a vessel that had previously held petrol.

Diesel into diesel tank = ok.
              Petrol into diesel tank = 'ok'.
              Petrol into petrol tank = ok.
              Diesel into petrol tank = 'risky'.
              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• denmonkey
                • Oct 2017
                • Newcastle NSW

do you recall under what circumstances they would use a vessel which had held petrol in it with diesel ?

I don't think anyone would do that intentionally but I sure know a few fellas who have stuck petty in their diesel trucks

Comment

• Peterng
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Northern Rivers NSW

So Flexitank are still manufacturing this type of unit?
                  I tied to purchase a 50 or 60ltr unit about 12 months ago and was told that Flexitank have been dispanded and no longer exist, so the Flexitank is no longer manufactured..

Could you provide the details please for I want to purchase one of these units.

Comment

• Flying
                    • Jul 2016
                    • Sydney

These could be worth a look
                    White 2016 Pajero Sport GLS, MM bullbar, HR towbar + andersen hitch, towpro, lovells 2" lift, cooper at3's, bushskinz, thule bars, clearviews, redarc bcdc + 110ah lithium, engel MRF40 fridge, GME TX3350, cel-fi go, ultragauge, idrive, nitro maxx 22" LED bar, awning, cargo barrier, ARB compressor.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X