• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grounded
    • Jan 2010

Buying an 94 NJ GLS Auto, but it smelled like clutch after the test drive

Hi there, first post

Am looking for a basic 4x4, it doesn't have to be flash but it does have to be reliable as I have to drive 50km's through windy forest roads every day.

I was steered towards Gen III pajero's by a mechanic, but unfortunately they are out of my price range.

So I've been looking at Gen II Pajeros, saw a beauty on the weekend. The body / suspension / interior were all in very good condition. The motor seemed pretty good considering it's 225kms (exhaust was clean etc).

Only concern was after the test drive, there was a smell - a bit like brakes?

Never owned a 4x4 or an automatic before, so I don't know much about them. Is this a cause for concern?

During the test there was a very slight vibration when it changed gear... not much, but you could just notice it if you payed attention.

I'm thinking of getting an MTA inspection done on this, but don't want to waste the money if it's going to be an expensive repair.

Would appreciate anyones comments / thoughts on this.

Cheers
    grounded
  • chippy4x4
    • Apr 2009
    • adelaide

ditto on the mechanical check
    is it a private sale or a car yard?

Comment

• grounded
      • Jan 2010

Private sale. They guy has services the motor himself - which I suspect means only oil and filter changes.

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

Might be the goto check that he has used the right transmission oil in the auto. That could explain the slight vibration. Otherwise check and make sure timing belts have been done at or around 200k. Also with those klms valve seals will start to wear so be aware of blue smoke after idling periods.
        Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

also possible it is leaking oil from rocker covers and seeped onto exhaust manifold, which may have produced the cooked/burning smell.

Just a thought that I had

Comment

• grounded
            • Jan 2010

Ahh... yeah, you know what I reckon that might be it... it didn't really smell like transmission / clutch!

Anyway, it's moot now as I rang the bloke today to organise a time for an MTA inspection.

He sold it on Sunday.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X