• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hookedon4wding
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Mornington Peninsula, VIC

Good spot to trial camper trailer?

Hi guys, the wife and I a wanting to hire a camper trailer for a weekend soon with the view to purchase one down the track.

Can anyone recommend a nice spot to go within a few of hours of the Mornington Peninsula (VIC)? Doesn't need to have challenging 4wding, just a nice spot to camp for a couple of days and play around with the camper.

By the way, we're considering the Outback Campers Sturt or Canning models. Anyone had any experience with these? Or know a better alternative with similar features and price?

We have a budget of no more that $15K. The closer to $10K the better. Will probably look at getting a couple of year old one or a demo.

Cheers, Sam.
    2010 150 Prado GXL V6 Auto

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.
  • Pajero_Pete
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Adelaide Hills

We had a ball playing in the Otway Ranges with & without the camper last easter.
    Plenty of lovely camping areas, tracks etc to play in and test out the trailer.
    We used a Great Otway Map (I think) which was excellent.
    Get a Camper , you'll love it !!
    cheers PP
    Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Pajero_Pete View Post
      We had a ball playing in the Otway Ranges with & without the camper last easter.
      Plenty of lovely camping areas, tracks etc to play in and test out the trailer.
      We used a Great Otway Map (I think) which was excellent.
      Get a Camper , you'll love it !!
      cheers PP
      Thanks Pete.

Any recommendations on what to look for...

Soft or hard floor?
      Rear or side fold tent?

Good options for around $10 - $15K?

Cheers, Sam.

Accessories fitted: BFG At 275/65/R17, Rhino Platform Rack, Toyota Cargo Barrier.

Comment

• GOSSAMER
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • doncaster east vic

try wilsons prom its really busy over chrissy but it mightn't be too bad atm
        Back from the Dark side
        NT VRX, Ironbark, Dobinson suspension, Kanati muddies 275 65 18, Boo's bash plates (now with dents )

Comment

• PaulMac
          • Aug 2009
          • Lysterfield

Gday Sam,

There are a few I liked within easy distance of Melbourne.

Middle Creek Camping area is in the Mt Buangor State Park. Turn-off is approx. 12 km west of Beaufort. Given the Deer Park bypass now operating the trip up past Ballarat is a great run.

Caringal Scout Camp is another great spot located out through Moe and the turn off into Caringal is just before Erica. Large camping area and some good tracks in the area to explore. They have powered and non powered sites. You just need to ring the caretaker to make a booking.

You could also consider the 90 mile beach between Seaspray and Golden Beach. There are 24 camping areas between the two towns and its about a 2 hour drive from Melbourne.

In relation to the camper I would recommend what you are doing and hiring one to see whether you like it or not is the way to go. You may even consider hiring other brands to get an idea of the differences. Make up a comprehensive list of all the things you would like in a camper then start exploring the huge variety available on the market. Eventually you will find the right camper for you. Don't rush into it.

Happy camping.

Cheers.
          Mica Black NT Pajero Exceed 3.2 Diesel Turbo
          Alloy bull bar

Comment

• Calspec
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2007
            • SA

Although it's been a few years since I was last there... The Eildon State Park was great for camping. Particularly south of the lake. Easy to get there from Mornington area, due north through KooWeeRup, Pakenham and Healsville. For a longer trip, venture from Eildon, west via Jamieson and across to the Howqua river/Howqua Hills area for a great couple of days.

My wife and I have just purchased a 7x4 camper and are travelling to Sydney to pick it up this week. I look forward to returning to that area once again in the near future.
            01 NM Exceed 3.5l Auto, SVI LPG, Pacemakers, Alloy Bar, IPF lights, GME TX3440, OME/King Suspension, 2" Lift, Toyo OCII 75's, 2500Kg Tow Hitch, Milford Cargo Barrier, ARB Fridge, ABR Dual Battery isolator, Rear storage drawers, Hema Navigator 7, JVC 7" In dash DVD, TJM Compressor, 2.5T Hand winch and all the bits that go with it, and a 17' Jayco Westport.

Comment

• Pajero_Pete
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Adelaide Hills

Hey Sam,
              I couldnt begin to tell you which camper to grab,
              There are so many ????
              Have a decent look around and I'm sure you'll find a bargain.
              As mentioned previously on this site Campertrailers.org is a wealth of knowlege
              And a couple of Mags are out now also,
              Do your research and you'll make a wise choice to suit YOUR requirements,
              $15K should see you right,
              We paid 1/3 of that and are more than happy with our off road Camper.
              Cheers PP
              Last edited by Pajero_Pete; 26-11-09, 08:10 AM. Reason: ... a bit more ...
              Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

• Hookedon4wding
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007

Thanks guys, some good ideas there.

Pete, you're right, literally thousands of trailers on the market... i had no idea there were that many.

Going to have some fun looking at them all.

Cheers, Sam.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X