• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stumagoo
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Perth WA S.O.R

CV Joint alternatives

Lets start with the fact my vehicle has a heavily modded front end the list includes (but is not limited to) diff drop, modified Upper control arms, modified lower control arms 3" of lift..... blah blah blah. The result is I have an easy 11" of travel over the stock 7" or so.

Now I was slack with my wagon and ran my left front CV with a split boot for a tad too long and it shagged my CV joint and I started down the path of replacing it. Working at a location that has trade acc's with several suppliers I did the ring around. here is the results

Mitsubishi $890 ex japan with at least 10 week lead time
    Veals $175 in stock GSP brand
    Bursons $200 instock GSP brand
    Repco $125 in stock Repco brand.

results on my rig

Repco brand CV's bind up the moment there is any angle on them
    GSP brand bind up as I approach full extension of my shock (about 30mm from full extension)
    Mitsi - well they work fine I am just not waiting 10 weeks or paying that BS price.

I have since thrown the repco one in the bin (they refused to take it back even after going for a ride - their answer too modified, mine not suitable for the purpose, I dont really care in the end

The GSP one has blown itself to bits

and until yesterday I have been unable to find a Gen 2 one second hand that has not had a split boot and is potentially stuffed - wreckers dont like removing them to be told I wont take it because its FUBAR - been down that road as well.

Final result

Gen 3 - the inner CV on the Gen 3 is very similar to the Gen 2 in fact here is how to mount a gen 3 CV onto the Gen 2 shaft (shaft of choice was a 3.5Dohc one from the 8" diff).

these parts are what I have used off the Gen 3 shaft - look for wear in the holes of the cage (the arrow shows wear on this one that has been removed) also look for flat spots on the bearings and ruts in the groves of the green cup

this part has to come off the Gen 2 shaft - ironically the gen 3 has a smaller diameter spline - look for wear in the notches where the bearings sit, any wear is likely to cause grief however I have found this to be the part that wears the least on all the genuine shafts I have gone over

Mount it all together - I found that the worn CV pretty much fell apart, the good one I needed to gently pop the Bearings out of the cage with a medium flat screwdriver and tap them back in again with the plastic handle. I also found the whole assembly came out of the Cup very easy on the worn unit and was a good snug fit on the replacement.

I spent $100 on a good whole gen3 CV shaft from a guy who wrecks Pajero's and now have a good CV in my Gen 2.

I cant say if it will work with a diesel CV joint and I am pretty sure it wont work with the 3.0 manual shaft (also 8" but has a smaller diameter CV) but both these have the same splines as the one I used and can have the 3.5 one used in their place.

I hope this helps some one else out.
    1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
    *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
    1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back
  • underdog
    • Jan 2015
    • Campbelltown, NSW.

Just for future reference, get the MM part number and use amayama.com you'll often pay half price or less for the exact same genuine part MM were going to supply you with.
    2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
    Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• stumagoo
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • Perth WA S.O.R

all alternative sources still had the part at over AU$500 + shipping - the cheapest I found was Partsouq which is often the cheapest at AU$546 + whatever shipping they charge.

Amayama.com is US$421 + shipping but while it has a green dot has no quantity for amount in stock.

Mitsubishi MR165859 JOINT & SHAFT KIT,FR AXLE,LH. New & genuine Japanese car parts. Fast shipping. Low prices. Request a quote from Amayama Trading Co. online.
      1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
      1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• underdog
        • Jan 2015
        • Campbelltown, NSW.

Originally posted by stumagoo View Post
        all alternative sources still had the part at over AU$500 + shipping - the cheapest I found was Partsouq which is often the cheapest at AU$546 + whatever shipping they charge.

Amayama.com is US$421 + shipping but while it has a green dot has no quantity for amount in stock.

https://www.amayama.com/en/search?q=MR165859

Brutal. Nice to see someone actually doing a bit of research for a change. Creative thinking with your solution too mate.
        2011 Pajero NW GL 3.2 Auto
        Bullbar, spotlights, twin wheel carrier, snorkel, spv, uhf, 3" lift, cargo barrier, bushskinz, 285/70/17 M/T, 2.5m awning, Waeco CFX40, DIY rear storage, drawers, fridge slide & dog floor, Intervolt EBI Pro, 105ah + 65ah batteries, 65L Abber tank & 12v pump.

Comment

• Montero94
          • Dec 2017
          • New Mexico, USA, NA

It would be nice if someone could find a dealer in Japan to make the cages and bearings and sell them international.

Cheers,

Comment

• stumagoo
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Perth WA S.O.R

mitsubishi still do them, they are the same as some of the L200's (up to 06 or so I think) also you can still buy them here genuine but they are horrendously expensive

Comment

• SCOTTAPAJ
              • Jul 2019
              • Sydney

Hi y'all,new to this excellent group/great info all round,regarding front drive cv's,rang Mitsubishi today and was floored by the price given for a pr of front drive shafts at 1100 each,🤔wow,its an 2001,5dr 3•5 auto,33'lifted etc,are any locally supplied after market units worth peeing on,an a mechanic by trade but long time away from the trade,still have some good contacts (I'm in Sydney)just thought I'd put it you those that know best first,you guys,any info much appreciated,
              Kind regards Scott.

Comment

• gemster
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2012
                • Gold Coast

From past experience, keep away from 4X4 Direct brand CV joints... ..

Gemster....
                YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• aussieguy
                  • Oct 2015
                  • Brisbane

So I should pull the CVs from my NK before calling the wrecker to take it away?
                  05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                  02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

• gemster
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Gold Coast

Why not, unless you don't have a need for them down the track...

What bits are left on the NK?....

Gemster...
                    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• aussieguy
                      • Oct 2015
                      • Brisbane

Most of the interior electronics are gone, most of the running gear is intact,so far all I have removed is starter motor. Engine is a DOHC 3.5 but is cactus because mechanic didn't use new bolt on harmonic and it fell off, has been sitting for 2 years. If you have a car trailer you can have it.
                      05/97 NK 3.5L DOHC - DEAD
                      02/00 NL 3.5L SOHC

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X