• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • njclifford
    • Aug 2010
    • Brisbane

Air Compressor - Ridge Ryder

Just a heads up - besides having MaxTrax on sale at SuperCheap, the Ridge Ryder air compressor is also on sale - $75 off.

It ranked 3rd in the review done on unsealed4x4.... top was the twin ARB at $800+, but this came in third... so a great buy.

Never dropped $600+ at SuperCheap before in my life, but am nearly ready!!
  • grhyso
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2012
    • Perth

May be worth mentioning price, their website says $249? I have the same compressor and have been very happy with it but it is quite large. I paid roughly $175 for it and compared to the similar 4wd supacentre thumper I at least have Auswide warranty in all major cities and many regional centres.
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Jim_James
      • Sep 2016
      • West Australia

This is worth a bump. Was going to buy one of these yesterday for $175 before the sale ended. Glad I missed it, because it's advertised to go on sale tomorrow 28/9/16 at $162 for a couple weeks.
      Should be able to justify that...
      Supercheap Auto is Australia's leading auto spares, parts and accessories retailer stocking a variety of car batteries, air filters, coolants and more online or in stores nationwide
      1999 NL GLX 4M40 5spd manual work hack/bush basher
      2009 NT GLX 4M41 5spd manual touring limo. ARB bar, LRA aux tank, Jaycar resistor EGR delete

Comment

• vladguan
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by Jim_James View Post
        This is worth a bump. Was going to buy one of these yesterday for $175 before the sale ended. Glad I missed it, because it's advertised to go on sale tomorrow 28/9/16 at $162 for a couple weeks.
        Should be able to justify that...
        http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...ltimate/299651
        I was told not to get the single cylinder ones as they take a lot longer to pump up 4WD tyres.
        Please call me Vlad.
        -----------------------
        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Jim_James
          • Sep 2016
          • West Australia

All the performance reviews I've read of them seem to favourable, and you have to keep in mind these are a 60mm piston compressor too. While I've never used one of the larger style pumps, I always found the smaller generic 75L/min style compressors to perform adequately.

Longevity and build quality is my concern, as the last cheap air compressor (Repco branded one) I bought failed on the second tyre the first time it was ever used.
          1999 NL GLX 4M40 5spd manual work hack/bush basher
          2009 NT GLX 4M41 5spd manual touring limo. ARB bar, LRA aux tank, Jaycar resistor EGR delete

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2014
            • Wellington,New Zealand

i got one over here as they rated very well in the test also mentione d above,but they are a big and heavy item.They would be nearly twice the size of some of the smaller "4wd" compressors
            2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
            BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• grhyso
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2012
              • Perth

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
              I was told not to get the single cylinder ones as they take a lot longer to pump up 4WD tyres.
              My experience is the dual piston is unnecessary, the time pumping tyres us negligible with it, it takes more time until packing and re-packing it. If I'm down at 16psi I'll start pumping up the first Tyre, then walk around and pull off all the valve caps and by the time I'm back to the first Tyre it's at the most another 15 seconds and I'm up to 36psi.

And longevity was a worry when I bought mine too, but I've had mine nearly 3 years and it hasn't missed a beat, even on our 5 week Kimberley trip where it got a solid workout sometimes multiple times a day. While I wouldn't put it on part with an ARB compressor it is significantly cheaper and I'm happy with it.
              2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

Comment

• Tuba
                • Feb 2015
                • Qld

If thats the case, pay $75 for the Thumper.

Comment

• dhula
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2012
                  • South of Perth

If you're able to walk into a Supa center store and pick a Thumper up I reckon go the Thumper for $75.
                  If you need to have it delivered it is still a pretty good deal at $95 to your door.
                  One of the things that put me off the RR and the Thumper was the soft bag it all comes in so I ended up with a Repco branded compressor a while back for ~$90 that comes in a hard case. Only downfall is it's a bit slower to fill all 4 tyres

EDIT; Just noticed the Best Price Guarantee line on the SCA catalog, wonder if they'd drop the price of the RR compressor to beat the Thumper
                  Last edited by dhula; 29-09-16, 11:08 PM.
                  2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                  2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• grhyso
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Perth

Originally posted by Tuba View Post
                    If thats the case, pay $75 for the Thumper.
                    Yes the thumper are basically the same but there aren't 100s of stores I can walk into aus wide to grab one or chase down warranty which was a consideration when I wasn't sure of quality.

Comment

• Tuba
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Qld

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
                      Yes the thumper are basically the same but there aren't 100s of stores I can walk into aus wide to grab one or chase down warranty which was a consideration when I wasn't sure of quality.
                      I was going off your 'significantly cheaper' part re: ARB v SCA. At $75 ea you can buy two Thumpers and its still cheaper than SCA and you have redundancy (not that the were always that cheap). Walking into Supercheap still requires you to get there on 8 or whatever PSI.

In all honestly, Im not convinced they are the same. China is a wild place for production, looks the same means nothing. The same factory can make 50 brands look identical but internally they vary from cheap and nasty to half decent quality, to as good as any on the market. Yet all can look identical on the outside. Or they might all be the same. You wont know until you strip them and test the materials used. Getting brand new hand picked units tested prior to delivery to the test facility, and firing them up for a few minutes or 4 tyres is not a real test IMO. Run the guts off them for an hour, then fire them up again in 6 months and do 10 tyres or inflate a number of super single truck tyres and see where were at re outputs. Or run it for 1 hour once a week, for a year.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X