• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhys
    • Jun 2009
    • Melboune

Middle row single seat removal

Hi all, I’m thinking of removing the 1/3 middle row seat to put a fridge there, it appears to be relatively easy but would like to confirm this, so has anyone removed the middle row seat(s) and if so what was the process and was it difficult? Thanks, Rhys.
    NT GLS Diesel auto LWB.
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

I think this has been covered in here before but there was discussion around the legality of removing the second row seats. If it's registered as a 5 seater, then it may be unroadworthy if you remove one of them.

I'm not certain, just advising you to check first.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• rhys
      • Jun 2009
      • Melboune

Interesting, I’ll look into it, I haven’t had the third row seats in from new I wonder if this is similar?
      NT GLS Diesel auto LWB.

Comment

• RUGGA
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2014
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by rhys View Post
        I haven’t had the third row seats in from new I wonder if this is similar?
        I believe not because the 3rd row seat were/are designed to be removable - Not a single bolt needs to be undone to remove the "Removable Factory designed" seat.
        02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• rhys
          • Jun 2009
          • Melboune

I’ve searched and searched but can’t find any threads relating to legality of removing the middle row seats, can someone point me in the right direction if possible, thanks, Rhys.
          NT GLS Diesel auto LWB.

Comment

• DT6061
            • May 2015
            • Tea Gardens

They're very easy to remove, not sure on the legality though.
            2015 NX GLS with stuff added

Comment

• Ian H
              Valued Member
              • May 2015
              • Melbourne

I found this on the forum

2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• rhys
                • Jun 2009
                • Melboune

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                Thanks 👍 I just found that thread a minute ago.
                NT GLS Diesel auto LWB.

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

I had a look on the Vic Roads web site and they have a table which would seem to indicate that it's legal to remove them but like all things public service, it's bloody confusing.

Comment

• JanP
                    • Nov 2007

I have removed my numerous times.
                    When I had my NP a local company made brackets and I moved the Milford cargo barrier behind my front seats when I go on outback trips.
                    I have since bought a NX and fitted a Hayman Reese cargo barrier which is side curtain airbag compatable.
                    My brother in law made brackets and I have since moved it twice behind the front seats.

Comment

• hill373737
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Bateau Bay

I'm not sure if current regulations are different -In 1989 I'd been travelling on an extended trip around Oz in a Landie wagon and we decided to stay in Perth and work. I'd taken the 2nd row seats out of the Landie and had a full length floor in the back to carry gear and so we could sleep in the car if we wanted. Rego was cheaper in WA than NSW so I decided to transfer the rego, they wouldn't do it unless I put the seats and seat belts back in.

We had the seats shipped across to the west, put it back to standard and traded it on a new NG commercial model Paj which served us well through a lot of travel in the SW as well as Gibb River Rd, Tanami Rd and up through Oodnadatta and Finke.
                      Attached Files
                      2015 NX, couple of batteries connected with Traxide SC80, Boos Bash Plates, retro NW nudge bar, Pirelli Scorpions, airbags!!

Comment

• Seigried
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2016
                        • brisbane

Every state varies slightly. I would check if your to be certain.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• JanP
                          • Nov 2007

South Australian regulations

Temporary removal of seats

Many 4WD owners who use their vehicles for holidays and camping sometimes would like to use the rear space of their 4WDs for camping equipment or for extra luggage room. Therefore it would be useful to temporarily remove the rear most seats in the vehicle.

If the removal of seats is temporary DPTI does not need to be advised, and no seating inspection is required.

If the seat cannot be returned to its original position because of the permanent removal of an anchorage point, then a seating inspection is required and Service SA will need to be notified of the change.

The temporary removal of seats in vehicles in particular to 4WD's with rear seats for seven or eight passengers, is permissible providing that:

when removing rear seats that no tools or only simple tools are required
                          no seat, seat belt or child restraint anchorages are removed or modified and no modification has been made to the seating capacity
                          there are no structural modifications involved and there is no change in the vehicle's registration category.

Comment

• Wazzap
                            • Sep 2015
                            • NSW

To answer your original question on is it easy - yes, it's dead simple. I've got a NM but don't think they've changed much especially with the mounting of the seats, but to remove the single seat all I did was fold it forward, pop the 2 clip in covers off from the mount, and undo 4 bolts. Using a battery impact wrench it took all of about 3 minutes to take the seat out completely, using a spanner/ratchet you'd probably just pop over the 5min mark.
                            Only thing to note is that while there are only 4 bolts on the seat mount, there are actually 6 holes in the floor pan (can't remember if there was a locating lug or something in the mount that goes into the middle hole), so while you can easily pop the 4 bolts back into position to seal those holes up, you should also seal the other holes up if possible (they don't seem to go all the way through to the open air, but may let fumes or something into the cabin that you may not want).

Comment

• denmonkey
                              • Oct 2017
                              • Newcastle NSW

Have them out in the back of the NT.
                              Have have pink slip inspections in NSW no issue.
                              Doesn't mean it's legal though.
                              Just my experience.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X