• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IksEst
    • Jan 2018
    • Australia

C/D lock

Hi guys, I'm having a problem with my pajero.
    So the thing is that I engaged 4wd just to test it but it got stuck on it and I couldn't get it back to 2wd, took it to mechanic but after 4 hours and charging me 440 dollars they couldn't identify the problem either, what they did was that they manually forced it back to 2wd but if I should use the 4wd selector again then the problem will reoccur.What they checked was full mechanical inspection on 4wd system, checked vacuum solenoids and vacuum lines, forced front diff out and powered up solenoid on transfer case to disengage 4wd.
    Was wondering if any of you guys had a similar problem and know what could it be.Also the c/d lock light was flashing when I had the problem - to be correct when I started the car then front tyres were flashing green and when I switched gear to N then the middle c/d lock light started flashing.
    Thanks in advance!
  • KiwiNTPajero
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2014
    • Wellington,New Zealand

are you talking about 4H of 4hlc?
    Whenever changing from 2h 4 h 4hlc you should be driving in a straight line and with neutral throttle,sometimes it will not disengage or engage straught away sometime you have to apply a little throttle and then ease of a few times.4hlc and 4lllc should only ever be used on a slippery surface so that the wheels can slip .so that the different speeds the wheels must turn ie the inside front turns less than the outside rear when turning.
    4llc has to be engaged only when stopped in neutral.I often have some trouble getting 4llc engaged without the c/d light flashing it sometime take a few attepmts at engaging and disengaging before it stays engaged without the cd light flashing.i try to engage 4llc often it seems to make it easier.If you keep in a straight line you can engage and use 4hlc and 4llc just to keep the system "exercised"
    2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
    BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• IksEst
      • Jan 2018
      • Australia

I switched it to 4H when the problem started and I tried pretty much everything you said but couldn't get it back to 2H, don't really want to try anymore because it's on 2wd drive right now and I don't want it to be stuck on 4wd again

Comment

• erad
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2015
        • Cooma NSW

Jack up the front or rear of the car, start the engine, then move the lever to and from 2h - 4h - 4HLc. No need to go to 4LLc, but if you wanted to you could do that as well.It sounds as if the actuator is stuck - probably through lack of use. By having either the front of rear of the car off the ground (preferably both wheels), the system should be able to free itself and operate normally. If it doesn't, it sounds as if you may have a stuffed actuator on the transfer case (the centre differential lock).

It is OK to drive around in 2H, but it is far better to have the 4H option available to you when you need it. Try just going to 4H, not 4HLc (Centre diff lock). Remember that your front wheels always travel further than the rear wheels when you are cornering. Therefore the CD if selected will tend to jam on and only by driving on a loose or slippery surface will it disengage. Preferable to drive on a corrugated loose surface because that shakes it loose faster. Also, it your front and rear tyres are differing size or even different make of tyre, the rolling radius may be different and this is enough to jam the CD (or the 4WD selector on the front diff) and make it hard to dis-engage .
        Last edited by erad; 17-04-18, 06:08 PM.

Comment

• IksEst
          • Jan 2018
          • Australia

I agree it would be better if I could use 4wd when I need it, what's the point owning a 4wd car when you can't use it..
          Anyways If I do that but it still gets stuck in 4wd can I then somehow manually force it back to 2wd myself, don't want to take it back to the mechanic for that again.

Comment

• BBP
            • Oct 2007
            • Canberra

I wouldn't worry about it too much if you get into 4H again as long as has been said it is not 4HL. I drive mine around in 4H all the time dry or wet, and apart from a little increase in fuel it at least keeps all the bits spinning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X