• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reciprovac
    • Jan 2011
    • broadford Victoria, Australia

Nomad valve body

Having recently fitted a Nomad valve body and Torque converter lock system I am very pleased with the results,that is except for the massive jerk when either kicking down or accelerating away from low speed after braking.
    I am assuming that this is a result of the higher pressures on the clutch plates and a more rapid change,can anyone out there provide a comparison with their own Nomad conversion.
    Thanks.
    2013 Pajero GLX-R auto Diesel.
    Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.
  • burnham
    • May 2015
    • Brisbane QLD

I haven’t had one installed yet but it’s my next mod. Although all of the reviews I have read the jerking between gears seems to be a common complaint.
    Would be interested in a bit of a review from you once you have done a bit of towing? Or off roading????
    2012 NW Activ Bilstein/king spring 2inch lift, ARB bar, IPF lights, Safari snorkel, magnum winch, Dual batteries, GMC CB, ECU Remap, 3inc Stainless Steel Exhaust, Catch Can, Rear Draws.

Comment

• Paj11
      • Jun 2017
      • Sydney

Originally posted by reciprovac View Post
      Having recently fitted a Nomad valve body and Torque converter lock system I am very pleased with the results,that is except for the massive jerk when either kicking down or accelerating away from low speed after braking.
      I am assuming that this is a result of the higher pressures on the clutch plates and a more rapid change,can anyone out there provide a comparison with their own Nomad conversion.
      Thanks.
      I was contemplating getting the upgrade, but not keen if there is kickback when changing through gears, is that due to the valve body or lock system, interested in any other reports.
      2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• pjchris
        • Jun 2007

The nomad valve body does lead to a more definite gear change. I would not describe it as harsh but when slowing the engine braking on change up is much more noticeable.
        If you use the lock up then the changes can be quite harsh, particularly 3-4. It is difficult to get this one smooth and oddly, it is smoother with more throttle.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

• Paj11
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

Originally posted by pjchris View Post
          The nomad valve body does lead to a more definite gear change. I would not describe it as harsh but when slowing the engine braking on change up is much more noticeable.
          If you use the lock up then the changes can be quite harsh, particularly 3-4. It is difficult to get this one smooth and oddly, it is smoother with more throttle.

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Mmmm, I think with the amount of heavy towing I would do, which would be minimal I would rather just use the triptronic like a manual, I would prefer the smoother gear changes I have now for normal touring.
          2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

• wilyum
            • Jul 2008
            • Canberra

G`day,
            I had a Nomad fitted to my N P a couple of years ago. The install was done by Wholesale Transmissions at Bayswater . I initially had those harsh changes but mine was more like the transmission slipping or pausing before it went into gear , mainly from 3 - 4 and 4 - 3 . I spoke to the boys at Wholesale Autos about the issue and was told that the transmission needed time to re learn .
            After about 6 months of use the issue was still present. I again spoke to Wholesale Autos and after refitting a standard valve body to prove that there was no other problem a complete refund of all costs was made by Wholesale Autos.
            They were an extremely good company to deal with and I had no issues with them in seeking a refund . Their business ethics are first class.
            Cheers,
            Wilyum.

Comment

• thorno
              • Jul 2007

Please excuse my ignorance. What is wrong with the standard valve body?
              2013 NW 3.2 DiD VRX. EFS Elite HD 2" suspension. Boos Bash plates. Roley rear plate. Ironman bullbar with 1200lb winch and DRL's. 9" LED spots. Dual Battery. Ocam rails and roof rack, Kings 2.5x2.5 awning. Beaudesert exhaust with muffler delete. Safari snorkel. Provent 200 catch can. Single drawer with fridge slide, Evakool 50L fridge. Redarc Elite electric brake controller. EGR turned off and blanked. Idrive. Ultragauge.

Comment

• BBP
                • Oct 2007
                • Canberra

Originally posted by thorno View Post
                Please excuse my ignorance. What is wrong with the standard valve body?
                Nothing is "wong" with it perse. As I understand it the nomad alters the pressurees to the clutches in the auto. This allows for more positive shifts. Often exhibits as a harsher change as noted earlier. As with most mods YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Comment

• pjchris
                  • Jun 2007

Nomad valve body

Originally posted by BBP View Post
                  Nothing is "wong" with it perse. As I understand it the nomad alters the pressurees to the clutches in the auto. This allows for more positive shifts. Often exhibits as a harsher change as noted earlier. As with most mods YMMV (your mileage may vary)

Also the Nomad valve body on the NT, NW, and NX Aisin transmission will allow the torque converter to lock in first gear if you also have a lock up kit.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

• reciprovac
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by burnham View Post
                    I haven’t had one installed yet but it’s my next mod. Although all of the reviews I have read the jerking between gears seems to be a common complaint.
                    Would be interested in a bit of a review from you once you have done a bit of towing? Or off roading????
                    I did the Collingwood spur, Billy goat bluff, tracks last long weekend.
                    Used the locking torque converter and was disappointed,I wish now I had gone for the reduction gears which was the other option.
                    Pajero is just too high geared for good down hill reduction,I had to use the brakes (perhaps not so much as previously) all the way down Billy goat (driving through brakes).
                    Regards
                    Tough dog 40mm raised suspension,ARB shocks,MCC bull bar,electric winch,bash plates,draws , engel fridge,dual batteries,air comp,water tank and electric pump,inverter,DC/DC charger,air bags, converter lock up system,diff/traction control modification.

Comment

• reciprovac
                      • Jan 2011

lock up

Originally posted by pjchris View Post
                      Also the Nomad valve body on the NT, NW, and NX Aisin transmission will allow the torque converter to lock in first gear if you also have a lock up kit.

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      This is the main reason I had the nomad installed, I was told about 20% improvement on down hill braking.
                      As mentioned on another post the Nomad is the only way to lock up the Aisin transmission.

Comment

• thorno
                        • Jul 2007

Thanks for that. I hope you are not salesmen for the the thing, because I still don't see the benefit...
                        2013 NW 3.2 DiD VRX. EFS Elite HD 2" suspension. Boos Bash plates. Roley rear plate. Ironman bullbar with 1200lb winch and DRL's. 9" LED spots. Dual Battery. Ocam rails and roof rack, Kings 2.5x2.5 awning. Beaudesert exhaust with muffler delete. Safari snorkel. Provent 200 catch can. Single drawer with fridge slide, Evakool 50L fridge. Redarc Elite electric brake controller. EGR turned off and blanked. Idrive. Ultragauge.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X