• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lasse.b
    • Feb 2016
    • Norway

Dotz dakar 4x4 rims

Have anyone tried to fit Dotz dakar rims to a gen 4 pajero?

Thinking of buying one rim as a test but wanted to check if any one else have tried?

Have been looking at 6x139,7 - 7" x 17" ET 20 or 13 - CB 110mm. With a BF Goodrich KO2 in 275/65R17 or 285/70R17

I would like to widen the track and tire width as much as possible without massive rubbing issues.

Just hate the way the wheels are "so far" inside the wheel well, currently i'm running the stock 18" rims with 265/65R18 KO2's and 20mm bolted spacers. But i will never fully trust spacers, German made or not
    2013 NW pajero
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

OP is in Norway so I do not know the legalities of such a mod but in Australia it would be illegal.

Factory tyres are 265/65-R17 or 265/60-R18.
    A 275/65-R17 is 13mm larger in diameter so this tyre will fit with standard P46 offset rims with no rubbing, but fitting snow chains could be an issue.
    A 285/70-R17 is 54mm larger in diameter so this tyre will rub on the front inner guards and mud flaps.

Standard offset is 46mm so going to an offset of 20mm pushes each wheel out 26mm so the track is widened 52mm, going to an offset of 13mm widens the track by another 26mm so that would be a massive 78mm in track increase. This is likely to cause tyre rubbing issues at 3/4 to full lock ans and partial to full tuck. Only way around this is to do a subframe and diff drop to lift the body up off the driveline and suspension. $$$$!

Another thing to consider is when the front wheel track is increased the front suspension and steering geometry is significantly changed and is decreases stability as the self aligning torque characteristics are altered.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• lasse.b
      • Feb 2016
      • Norway

15mm- 7,5mm on each side is maximum to stay legal in Norway.

That said, there is some vague rules regarding increase of track width to accommodate for the raised centre of gravity. So in theory i could get a larger than 15mm track increase legal.

But as you mentioned the steering geometry and suspension setup might become a bit off with ET 13 rims.

My car handles just fine with OEM ET46 and 20mm spacers, a little bit of bump in the steering wheel when it self aligns after a hard turn. but i have not preformed a wheel alignment after fitting the spacers. and i also believe the KO2s and a some what bad balancing job is mostly to blame.

When the wallet allows for it i will buy a ET20 rim with 275/65R17 KO2 and test fit
      2013 NW pajero

Comment

• kiwi1973
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2012
        • New Zealand

I have the Dotz Crunch rims with 8" rim width and 35 offset. Seems to work well. If you're looking at wider than standard tyres (you mentioned 275mm or 285mm) then I think you really want an 8" wide rim, which shouldn't be too hard to get from Dotz standard. You may just want to satisfy yourself to what extent a wider tyre on ET20 might stick out from the guards slightly.
        2007 Shogun 3.2DID. UK Diamond Spec. Harrop Eaton front E-locker. MCC Bullbar. Runva 11XP winch. 17" Dotz rims with 32" STT Pro. Koni HT RAID 90 series with +2" EHD Lovells springs. ASFIR protection plates for engine & transmission. DIY steel rocksliders. LRA 81 litre auxiliary fuel tank. Waeco CFX-40. Home made drawers & fridge slide. Dual power - 120a/h AGM with CTEK DC-DC. LED lighting. 43 litre water tank with two electric pumps - one for tap (via filter) & one via heat exchanger.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X