• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tilly24
    • Jun 2014
    • qld

3.5 dohc oil leaking from rear of heads

Hi all was woundering if any one would have a picture of the rear heads on a 3.5 dohc.
    I have oil leaking and would like to know where im sticking my fingers to pull things of to fix.
    I've done my nm 3.5 sohc before which were cam caps leaking just unsure on how many cam caps per head on the dohc if any.
    Cheers

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

I have looked at my Max Elery Workshop manual, and from what I can see, there are no caps like on the SOHC engine. It looks like they used an oil seal like the front of the engine.

Sadly, the photos in the manual are rather poor quality, so I cannot reproduce them readily. If you are desperate, PM me and I will try t scan them and email them to you.

Comment

• tilly24
      • Jun 2014
      • qld

Originally posted by erad View Post
      I have looked at my Max Elery Workshop manual, and from what I can see, there are no caps like on the SOHC engine. It looks like they used an oil seal like the front of the engine.

Sadly, the photos in the manual are rather poor quality, so I cannot reproduce them readily. If you are desperate, PM me and I will try t scan them and email them to you.
      Does your manual have any pics by any chance.
      My manual has not pics of rear of heads[emoji58][emoji58]

Comment

• Micko66
        • Apr 2013
        • Queanbeyan NSW

I have a head off my DOHC at the moment. I pulled it off today. What would you like a picture of and which head is leaking??

Micko
        1995 NJ Paj GLS, 3.5 DOHC 24 valve, manual.

Comment

• Micko66
          • Apr 2013
          • Queanbeyan NSW

Here's a pic of the back of the right hand side (drivers side) head. The black "cap" at the end of the cam, where my finger is touching, is made of rubber.

My bet is it's your valve cover gasket that's leaking.

Micko
          Attached Files
          1995 NJ Paj GLS, 3.5 DOHC 24 valve, manual.

Comment

• pharb
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Tyers,Vic

I have had those black caps leak. The black rubber coating deteriorates. Can't remember which model Mitsubishi. Had trouble getting them because they were off a real old model. Maybe Gen 1 Astron motor.

Prior to purchasing new ones I had tried removing, cleaning, and refitting with good quality gasket silastic. Only lasted about 6 months before they were leaking again, and I replaced them with new.

Unbolt cam caps. Remove old. Fit new. Refit cam caps. Careful. Cam wants to lift up and rotate whilst caps removed.
            PCOV Member 1107.
            Daily driver NX GLX
            Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
            Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
            Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• tilly24
              • Jun 2014
              • qld

Originally posted by Micko66 View Post
              Here's a pic of the back of the right hand side (drivers side) head. The black "cap" at the end of the cam, where my finger is touching, is made of rubber.

My bet is it's your valve cover gasket that's leaking.

Micko
              Thanks heaps thats what i was looking 4.
              I have looked a bit further in to things and found the tappet gaskets leaking.

Comment

• erad
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2015
                • Cooma NSW

Tilly: Be careful when replacing the rocker cover gaskets. Do NOT use silicone as an extra sealant because there are gaskets around the valve tubes. If you use silicone on the main part of the gasket, it may lift the rocker cover high enough so that the gaskets around the valve tubes do not seal. Result is that you get the spark plug tubes filling with oil, and your HT leads go crap very soon thereafter. The valve tube seals and the main rocker cover gaskets are designed to work without extra sealant. I think the valve seals would seal first, and then the rocker cover would compress down as the bolts are tightened. You may get away with it if you use exactly the correct amount of silicone, but you cannot guarantee it.

On my NL, my favourite "mechanic", apart from completely stuffing my engine, also used gallons of silicone sealant EVERYWHERE. In a total distance of 3 km, two of the spark plug tubes were half full of oil. It was impossible to remove it without damaging the original (brand new) gaskets and seals.

Comment

• flyboy
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2017
                  • SA

It’s not just avoiding silicon either.

The old gasket needs to be cleaned out. Once you’ve installed the new one into the groove on the cover, adjust the thin inner metal channel so that it stays in when you turn it upside down.

The torque on these covers is INCREDIBLY low. The fixings go into very soft alloy. Overtightening then causes two problems - it warps the thin sheet metal used to make the rocker covers, and they will forever leak (only way to fix is to buy replacement covers). Secondly, you can strip the soft allow very easily by overightening.

Buy a torque wrench which goes down below 4nm and use it.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X