• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisall
    • Sep 2016
    • WA

Bike Carrier

Hi, the kids (qty 2) got new bikes off father xmas and I since realised either kids or bikes can fit in the NP, not both. Are there any recommendations for bike carriers that fit the NP? Would prefer either mounting on towbar, or ideally on back door would be great so can still get the dog in and out easily. Don't really want to put them on roof if possible (bikes, kids or dog...just kidding). Alternatively I suppose a small trailer would be an option, but then have to find room to store it Cheers,
    2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.
  • GHendo
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2012
    • Northern NSW

I made my own that fits into the tow bar but as you have already realised, when it is attached you can’t open the back door. The other thing you have to do is to remove the rear number plate and remount it on the bike carrier – that’s only a 30 second job but necessary.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• rykiel575
      • Sep 2017
      • Sydney

You can get auxiliary plates from the RMS. Less than $50
      2012 NW Pajero GXL 3.2L

Comment

• artuo
        • Sep 2014
        • Central Coast NSW

Gripsport and ISI carriers both do tilt down bike carriers, neither cheap but fantastic quality. I have a 4 bike ISI that tilts and gets moved around between cars and camper trailer, it mounts on the hitch. I can access the rear with it tilted, not fully but enough.
        I think Rhino does a tilt down one aswell, but havent seen one in the flesh

The Ultimate Bicycle Transportation System The Ultimate Bicycle Transportation System EVERY VEHICLE & TRAILER. EVERY BICYCLE. EVERY VEHICLE & TRAILER. EVERY BICYCLE. Road | Gravel | MTB | E-Bikes | Fat Bikes | Kids Bikes Cars 4WD Adventure Trucks Caravans Camper Trailers

Australian designed & made bike rack, full steel construction.
        MY14 NW VRX Graphite DiD, ARB Deluxe CC'd Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, DIY rear shelf, Autosafe half cargo barrier, GME TX3540S radio, Rhino Pioneer plaform with bits, Foxwing awning, Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates, Dual Battery with Redarc BCDC1225LV, Bilstein/Lovells HD suspension, LRA Aux Tank

In Tow; Explorer Lawson camper trailer

Comment

• Sam Pato
          • Jan 2011
          • Brisbane

I bought this one from 99 bikes in a hurry - they had a good selection. I'm afraid my budget didn't / doesn't stretch to the very nice carriers linked above.

Shop for Allen S-645 Premier 4 Bike Carrier (SKU: ALAC15050405) and other Allen Accessories amongst Australia's best range of Hitch

Its a great bike carrier but its a real pain that you have to un-mount it to get into the boot (as the hinge point is above the bottom of the door).

If you find one that does the same job and gives access to the boot (and is less than $500-) I'd be pleased to know about it.

Cheers

Sam
          Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

• General Disturbance
            • Jan 2016
            • SA

We got this one, super sturdy, good price fast delivery, our nm also needed the extension to go out past the spare wheel, you cant open door all the way but enough to access rear, save yourself some cash.

scroll down page for extension

Comment

• Bennyboy
              • Sep 2010
              • Adelaide Hills

I use one of these when its just the two kids bikes. Clamps onto the towball, install / remove in about 15 secs, so while the door can't be opened when its on I just take it off. Of course the bikes need to be removed to do that but for me they're always first thing off and last thing on so no dramas there.

Was a bit sceptical about the attachment, but it hasn't fallen off yet!
              2015 NX GLX5 Pajero with a few extra bits and pieces...

Comment

• Chalenged
                • Apr 2010
                • Vic

I use this for carrying four bikes...

Built for convenience & quick loading, FourTimer is the ideal hitch rack for up to 4 bikes of all shapes and sizes. Perfect for fat bikes, and more. Find a dealer.

It hold four bikes (kids or adults are fine) and can be released down when empty so that the back door (of an NM) can open fully (with only a couple of mm to spare!!).

It also folds up when empty so it doesn't stick out in a carpark etc. It folds up close to the spare wheel, but is perfect on an NM.
                2001 NM, GLS, 3.5L Auto, LPG Injection, reversing camera, rear parking sensors, UHF, cargo shelf, polyairs, telescopic rear worklight

Comment

• chrisall
                  • Sep 2016
                  • WA

Thanks for all the replies chaps, certainly quite a range of prices out there.

Will contemplate the options and post review and pics of the chosen one,

Cheers,
                  2003 NP 3.5. Davies Craig tranny cooler, Dual battery, LED front fogs, Safari 'style' snorkel, LED reverse / work light, reverse cam, BushSkinz, LED interior lights, Joying android head unit, side steps, LED spotties, 17" steelies, bunny bar.

Comment

• jol
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Sydney, Australia

If you get a towbar rack just make sure you get an auxiliary number plate if your car number plate will be obscured. Not sure what the rules are in WA but the fine is $400+ in NSW.

And also make sure it's long enough to get past the spare tyre.
                    Last edited by jol; 26-02-18, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

A friend o f mine used to have a Toyota Hilux Ute with canopy. He had a standard bike beak on the back, which had a fixed post - the standard design of bike beak. He used to reach under an remove the hitch pin and slide the bike plus beak out to get access to the rear of his vehicle. Simple, but effective. It would probably work with Pajeros as well.

I have a bike beak which I used to use on my NL Pajero. It bolted onto the spare wheel carrier and the spare wheel then held it in place. Simple device. Free to anyone who is interested. Ypu have to arrange postage etc only.

Comment

• chrisall
                        • Sep 2016
                        • WA

As luck would have it, Aldi of all places had a 3 bike carrier on offer last week $39.95. Thought might as well get one and see if it clears the spare wheel. It does! Obviously can't open rear door, so have to remove it each time. Problem is that it's supposed to be bolted to the hitch receiver rather than secured using the removable pin. Bit of effort to open up the hole to take the pin, now works great.

Cheers,

Comment

• geopaj
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Sam Pato View Post
                          I bought this one from 99 bikes in a hurry - they had a good selection. I'm afraid my budget didn't / doesn't stretch to the very nice carriers linked above.

Shop for Allen S-645 Premier 4 Bike Carrier (SKU: ALAC15050405) and other Allen Accessories amongst Australia's best range of Hitch

Its a great bike carrier but its a real pain that you have to un-mount it to get into the boot (as the hinge point is above the bottom of the door).

If you find one that does the same job and gives access to the boot (and is less than $500-) I'd be pleased to know about it.

Cheers

Sam
                          I use this one from Anaconda ($260 but I got it cheaper in one of their specials)

I then disassembled the bottom pivot assembly and put it back together reversed (it just bolts together) to get enough clearance for the spare tire.

It’s easy enough to fold the rack down to allow the back door to open.
                          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Sam Pato
                            • Jan 2011
                            • Brisbane

Thanks for the response - I'll give it a look.
                            Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X