• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterjt
    • Dec 2009
    • Adelaide

Replacing front disc rotors NL

Hi all,
    Looking to replace front disc rotors on my 1998 GLS. I realise that I need to remove the front hub assembly to get the rotor off. While there I might as well repack the front wheel bearings.

I was wondering if anyone knew of where I could get a hold of the special socket (I'm in Adelaide) used to tighten the lock washer to the recommended bedding in preload and then final preload.

Mitsu have a spacial tool but I don't even want to think what that costs!

Also, should I replace the oil seal as a matter of course when I remove the bearings to repack?
    1998 NL Exceed, 6G74 V6 auto. TJM alloy bullbar, IPF spotlights. Yoko Geolandar AT/S
  • MELONHEAD
    • Apr 2010
    • Curlewis NSW

If my memory serves me correctly the lock washer has just two holes in it. If this is correct you can put a long small diameter bolt in each hole and a bar between the two bolts to undo the washer. Alternatively use a small punch and a hammer on one of the holes to turn the washer counter clockwise. When you remove the bearings to repack them, you will have to knock the seal out which often distorts it. For the small cost of a seal you would be mad not to replace it. Go to a bearing shop like Bearing Services/CBC Bearings etc with the old seal as a sample and get replacements. Much cheaper than genuine I would be confident.
    2010 NT RX diesel manual, bushskinz intercooler + sump guards, factory alloy bulbar, GME TX3400 UHF, Donaldson secondary fuel filter, Bilstein/Kings/Polyair lift, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/70/17.
    1998 NL GLS V6 auto LWB with ARB Deluxe Winch Bar, ALDI 9500lb winch, ARB onboard compressor, Hankook Dynapro AT/M 265/70/16s.

Comment

• gemster
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2012
      • Gold Coast

All the Wheel bearings I have bought have a new seal with the bearing in the Box... But as said before, they are not much to purchase separate if you need to...

But I also have a Q..
      Does anyone know the Part number for the Inner Needle Bearing on the inside, where the end of the CV Joint fits in? or at least the correct name for this bearing?... I have got some weird looks and answers on this one..

Gemster....
      YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
      And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
      ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• peterjt
        • Dec 2009
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by MELONHEAD View Post
        If my memory serves me correctly the lock washer has just two holes in it. If this is correct you can put a long small diameter bolt in each hole and a bar between the two bolts to undo the washer. Alternatively use a small punch and a hammer on one of the holes to turn the washer counter clockwise. When you remove the bearings to repack them, you will have to knock the seal out which often distorts it. For the small cost of a seal you would be mad not to replace it. Go to a bearing shop like Bearing Services/CBC Bearings etc with the old seal as a sample and get replacements. Much cheaper than genuine I would be confident.
        Thanks Melonhead, you are right it does have two holes and I am confident I will be able to undo it, and that what I was going to do but just wanted to see if anyone knew of the 1/2" drive adapter so I can use my torque wrench to preload the bearing wehen putting it back in (done in two stages - 125Nm to 200Nm and then to zero, then to 25Nm).

I purchased the oil seals just in case from Bursons - half the price of Mitsu and had them on the shelf.
        1998 NL Exceed, 6G74 V6 auto. TJM alloy bullbar, IPF spotlights. Yoko Geolandar AT/S

Comment

• JTM
          • Sep 2016
          • gold coast

Originally posted by gemster View Post
          All the Wheel bearings I have bought have a new seal with the bearing in the Box... But as said before, they are not much to purchase separate if you need to...

But I also have a Q..
          Does anyone know the Part number for the Inner Needle Bearing on the inside, where the end of the CV Joint fits in? or at least the correct name for this bearing?... I have got some weird looks and answers on this one..

Gemster....
          It's just an inner shaft bearing, need to press it out, fiddly job but can get them from wreckers.

Comment

• gemster
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2012
            • Gold Coast

Ok thanks Mate... How is the conversion going?

Gemster....
            YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...

Comment

• Gazzza
              • Mar 2016
              • Melbourne

rotor removal

Hi
              I have tried to replace my rotors , removed the hub and circlip then tried to remove the 6 bolts that hold the rotor on , they loosen but do not come out , any suggestions please on pajero 1996 4x4
              Gary

Comment

• JTM
                • Sep 2016
                • gold coast

Ok thanks Mate... How is the conversion going?

Gemster....
                Hi mate, I ripped my thumb open at work 3 weeks ago and had surgery, due to go back in about a week so I'll start ripping back into in a fortnight, got a new harmonic balancer, exhaust system and extractors coming this week so looking forward to it.

Comment

• gemster
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Gold Coast

Ouch.. Know how you feel..... It's great waiting for the Delivery Guy or Girl in my case...

Crashed mine week before Xmas... https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=59725

Gemster....

Comment

• JTM
                    • Sep 2016
                    • gold coast

Ouch.. Know how you feel..... It's great waiting for the Delivery Guy or Girl in my case...

Crashed mine week before Xmas... https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=59725

Gemster....
                    That sux, could have been worse I spose - back to driving school for cruiser drivers!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X