• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rodt
    • Jun 2010
    • Gunnedah

Originally posted by serapax View Post
    Just had a look at this one, pre-detailing so very much as it is. Winch looks like it has had some use, but seems very straight underneath.
    Turns out it is an ex-Police car. I guess that could be either good or bad.
    A few holes in the trim where gear used to go, but that's okay.
    Only 5 seater, but it looks like it should be possible to fit a third seat (all the mounts etc are there).

I'll have to sleep on this one....
    Mate I was in the same situation a few months ago when I came across an ex police vehicle pretty similar Kms etc to what you have stated. After searching some threads on here and asking a couple of questions I decided to purchase. The one I got they don't fill out the service books but attached a service summary sheet, had highway tyres on it (so made an assumption that it was not an offroad vehicle) and underneath looked pretty tidy (may have been repaired / replaced but that is only good in my mind). I couldn't find out if it was a 'management' vehicle or not but other than the usual drill holes and internal scratches (pretty common) it all seemed OK. There is a bit of wiring coiled up under the passenger seat which I have yet to explore but I have hopes that I may be able to use it if / when I want to add electrical mods inside.
    I also had the thought process that as police rely on these vehicles for their everyday working life that they should generally be looked after as it is not a good look for the police to be seen broken down on the side of the road.

The logic was there for me but others may think different so hope the above helps.

Rod

Comment

• serapax
      • Jul 2013
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by Rodt View Post
      Mate I was in the same situation a few months ago when I came across an ex police vehicle pretty similar Kms etc to what you have stated. After searching some threads on here and asking a couple of questions I decided to purchase. The one I got they don't fill out the service books but attached a service summary sheet, had highway tyres on it (so made an assumption that it was not an offroad vehicle) and underneath looked pretty tidy (may have been repaired / replaced but that is only good in my mind). I couldn't find out if it was a 'management' vehicle or not but other than the usual drill holes and internal scratches (pretty common) it all seemed OK. There is a bit of wiring coiled up under the passenger seat which I have yet to explore but I have hopes that I may be able to use it if / when I want to add electrical mods inside.
      I also had the thought process that as police rely on these vehicles for their everyday working life that they should generally be looked after as it is not a good look for the police to be seen broken down on the side of the road.

The logic was there for me but others may think different so hope the above helps.

Rod
      Awesome - thanks Rod! I have the exact same situation - no log books, but a service summary sheet. Do you know if this is sufficient for warranty transfer?
      Did yours come with the aux battery? (this one doesn't).
      Can I ask what you paid?

Cheers!

Mike

Comment

• Rodt
        • Jun 2010
        • Gunnedah

Mike I assumed that the warranty would go with it but good question as I never actually contacted MMA to ask. The reason I made the assumption was that I was sure if the vehicle had had a warranty issue then they would have been into Mitsubishi to get it sorted. Could be a problem though so would obviously pay to ask.
        Mine didn't come with an aux battery and it was basically the same money you are looking at. I wasn't looking for an aux battery as I have batteries in the CT and only wanted a 5 seater also so all good for me. You have got me wondering now if there was an aux battery and if so is the wiring still all there. Hmmm will have to investigate further
        Also if you are quick enough you will be able to search the rego No on Pickles website and possibly get the original vehicle listing before they archive it.

Rod

Comment

• serapax
          • Jul 2013
          • Melbourne

Days from being new GLX-R owner

Hey all. After months of searching, attending auctions, and many false starts, I finally bit the bullet and put a deposit down on a Graphite 2013 MY14 GLX-R. As soon as the securities register clears (the owner paid off the finance and got the RWC today), it's mine

A private sale, the car has only done 18,600 km and has spent most of the past year in storage (started every week or so I believe). Everything is immaculate - looking underneath, this thing has barely seen a puddle let alone anything off-road. Hopefully it'll be a good solid base to start from.

I did spend a fair bit more than I planned, and so I'll have to stagger my mods a bit. I plan to start with a lift and aggressive AT's, along with a full set of bash plates to protect the pristine undercarriage. Either a poly Smart bar (I like em but understand that some don't) or snorkel will be next. I'm not sure about a UHF radio - how do people find the more powerful handheld units as an alternative to installing into the car's electrics?

The graphite won't be as bad as jet black for bush-striping, but I'm giving some thought to a replaceable protective film - I've heard of people using contact, but there's also the rolls of vinyl wrap available on ebay. Any thoughts or experiences with films or wraps?

This will also be my first diesel, and I need it to last a long time. Any advice on maximizing longevity?

Anyway, I'll post some pics once I have possession!

Cheers!

Mike

Comment

• bennyb29
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Brisbane

Speaking of Thrifty rentals, my first time with a Pajero was a GLX-R i rented from Thrifty to do a trip to Byron Bay. Being a rental, the clause clearly mentioned that it was to be used only on sealed roads - which kinda defeats the purpose of hiring a 4x4. However, i was looking to use the rental more for the space, and to experience owing the vehicle before i decided to buy one later. A paid long test drive, if i may call it that.

This is the vehicle in question:

Must say it was extremely well-maintained with not a single squeak or rattle. At about 19,000 kms on the odo, it was barely even run in. Based on my experience with Thrifty, i disagree with the views that Thrifty rental Pajeros are to be stayed away from.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X