• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jemsquash
    • Jan 2010
    • Perth

An amusing test drive of a Prado GX

My mate is in the process of buying a second hand 4x4. I'm no expert, but I have worked on cars before and know a thing or two. To cut a long story short he's looking at buying a Prado not being convinced by my arguments about value for money on the Paj.

He organised a test drive this evening of a Prado GX 05 model. While driving he says to the car agent "I want to try and put it in 4 low to make sure it goes in OK" to which the agent says "I know a place, turn left just here". We turn left on on the right is some dirt with some nice dirt tracks. A bit surprised my mate says "OK do we go onto this?" to which he got an affirmative response. We cruise off onto the dirt now in 4h and I'm thinking OK obviously this guy does this often enough in these cars. Not 50 meters in we start sinking into the sand to which the agent asks "have you done any 4 wheel driving before?" - my mate says "no". Agent says "OK let me take over. He confidently hops in and proceeds to stall it a couple of times.

I then decide to interrupt and say you probably want it in 4 low. He sticks it in and goes backwards and forwards several times, doing more or less the right thing, except trying to get onto a mound with some grass on top, he gets us totally and utterly bogged. The belly is flat on the sand.

I then ask "Have you done any 4 wheel driving?" - he responds "No". Doh!

After lots of shoving and pushing in our collar and tie work attire we get nowhere.
    They then call their mates who pitched up in a Patrol with what I can only call a frayed old bit of yarn! Needless to say it only snapped several times before a passing 4x4 with a winch got it out. Thanks whoever you are! A lot of assumptions by everyone got us into a pickle, the agent assumed that my mate had done 4x4ing before, my mate and I assumed that the agent (being so confident) did this often.

Well, we didn't buy the car surprise, surprise!

I couldn't help but think that my Paj NS would have got through no problem. There is only centre diff lock on the Prado GX and pretty much nothing else to help. The Paj at least has traction control too. My mate seems to think that any car would have got bogged in that, all I can do is to drive through in my Paj and show him.

I guess he could put in an after market diff lock in and that would help significantly. But I can't help but feel that he is getting an inadequate 4x4 and that for the same money he could buy an 06 diesel Paj that has traction control plus many safety features. It's no accident (excuse the pun) that that the Pajero is the only 4x4 to have a 5 star UCSR safety rating. The Prado GX in my opinion is a body with wheels, an engine and pretty much nothing else. Tough and rugged as can be, but is it really up to the off road stuff? The price goes up significantly to get the Prado with the goods.

Perhaps I have Paj coloured glasses on. What does everyone else think?

and no, before you ask, the tyres weren't deflated...
    07 NS GLX 3.2 DiD Auto - Bushskinz bash plate + custom bash plate - Rocksliderz - factory bull bar - Pirelli scorpion ATRs - Ironman awning - Rhino Pioneer Luggage tray - Chip it race pipe - Home made breathers - 2" (Bilstein/Lovell) - No Limit Chip - Torque Pro for Android
  • MSF
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2009
    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

I wouldn't be blaming the Prado in this case.

Inexperience can bog any vehicle....

Comment

• icysyrup
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • USA

Ya experience def has a big part in the whole situation. But the vehicle does contribute some. As its been said before...sand and tires at full road psi dont mix. Had you got out when you started to get bogged and lowered the psi a good bunch then you prob would have gotten out. (Maybe)
      03 NP, 34" tires, Fully skiplated, Custom rocksliders, custom winch mount, OME HD springs/shocks, and Aeroflow exhaust, Locked Front and Rear.

Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Jelco
        • Feb 2010
        • Northam

i think the sales person would have got shot when he got back to the yard. car yards spend alot on detailing cars and that car would have needed doing again. there are alot of things that could have been done differant by the sounds of it. sounds more like driver error than car.
        if at first you dont succeed, get out of the cruiser and into your paj.

Comment

• David Anderson
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2007
          • Albury

Well, at least they let you drive it off road - I wouldn't expect that from a dealer.

I would expect the GX would be good off-road with some good tires, a little lift and a diff-lock, though in standard trim I doubt it would see what way the NS went..
          09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Jemsquash
            • Jan 2010
            • Perth

Yeah, I was surprised he offered my mate to take it off road. I don't think he'll be doing that again. Luckily the car hadn't been detailed yet, so no loss there.

At least I've learned a lesson on what does get a car bogged. I'm not particularly experienced but I always let my tyres down and as yet I have not got bogged.
            07 NS GLX 3.2 DiD Auto - Bushskinz bash plate + custom bash plate - Rocksliderz - factory bull bar - Pirelli scorpion ATRs - Ironman awning - Rhino Pioneer Luggage tray - Chip it race pipe - Home made breathers - 2" (Bilstein/Lovell) - No Limit Chip - Torque Pro for Android

Comment

• Ian Johnston
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2010
              • Mount Gambier, SA

I had a similar story at a Rodeo test day quite a few years ago. Went for a drive with the salesman, me driving, went up this sandy hill(which I knew well), and proceeded to bog it.
              The sales bloke had a panic look on his face.
              I got out and locked the hubs in, to which he asked, "what are you doing?" I said, putting the freewheel hubs in, he says, what are they?

Anyway, with hubs, low range, we just walked out.

It goes to show that sales people may know how to fill out the paperwork, but most dont know jack about what they are selling.
              2015 Subaru Forester 2.5 petrol CVT. (Missus car)
              Just got an NS DID manual (my car) SOLD.
              2014 Subaru Outback diesel, CVT. Mine

Comment

• Kurri Eagle
                • Feb 2010
                • Hunter Valley

Originally posted by Ian Johnston View Post
                I had a similar story at a Rodeo test day quite a few years ago. Went for a drive with the salesman, me driving, went up this sandy hill(which I knew well), and proceeded to bog it.
                The sales bloke had a panic look on his face.
                I got out and locked the hubs in, to which he asked, "what are you doing?" I said, putting the freewheel hubs in, he says, what are they?

Anyway, with hubs, low range, we just walked out.

It goes to show that sales people may know how to fill out the paperwork, but most dont know jack about what they are selling.
                I Can agree with that 100% , i'm a car salesman at a Toyota dealership and a few yrs ago one of my workmate's rings me from the beach to ask how to put his hilux into 4wd.
                Unfortunately there are'nt many people selling cars who are really intersted in what they sell.

Comment

• sandgroper2
                  • Aug 2010
                  • Perth

I am the novice prospective Prado owner in the original story. I have since learned a thing or two and am now the proud owner of a Paj NS. I can state categorically that my NS would not have got bogged in this situation thanks to traction control. I am considering hauling Jemsquash down to the offending terrain to prove this.

I am delighted with my vehicle; and with the $7k saved I will be able to kit myself out with all manner of additional 4wd toys.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Peakhurst, Sydney

Take the salesman as well!

Originally posted by sandgroper2 View Post
                    I am the novice prospective Prado owner in the original story. I have since learned a thing or two and am now the proud owner of a Paj NS. I can state categorically that my NS would not have got bogged in this situation thanks to traction control. I am considering hauling Jemsquash down to the offending terrain to prove this.

I am delighted with my vehicle; and with the $7k saved I will be able to kit myself out with all manner of additional 4wd toys.
                    Then again, he's probably not working there anymore!
                    Glad to hear you're happy your Paj (& the price)!

Does remind me when I walked into a DSE store & asked to look at what they had in large hi-resolution monitors & was shown some LCD TVs!

Cheers
                    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X