• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rbr1977
    • Feb 2018
    • Kanwal

Water Pump Gasket

Hi All

I received my Dayco timing / water pump kit today ( Ebay ) I found one small issue with water pump gasket it has a tear at one of the bolt mount locations please see pic.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_155506.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	997075
    Arrow points to damage on inside edge of hole. technically there is a complete unbroken seal around outside edge.
    My local MM Dealer is trying to locate replacement although there system only shows gasket between block and backing plate as there pumps come complete.
    Question is do you all think it would be ok if installed with form a gasket ( permatex ) on both sides of gasket and or a small amount of RTV in this area.
    Planning on doing it on weekend.

Thanks in advance
  • ticky
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2015
    • Adelaide

I wouldn’t. Having said that I believe it would work and not leak if you did, but the problem comes the next time you need to change the gasket.

I only ever use Grease on water pump and thermostat gaskets. The reason is it is very easy to clean off for the next one and it works.

Hope this helps

Steve
    2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• Hazpet
      • May 2014
      • Mandurah

Go for it, many times I've cut a gasket from a cornflakes packet and never had a drama. I'm sure what you suggest would be perfectly alright. If you wanted to, go to Repco and buy a sheet of gasket paper and cut one out of that. Don't stress
      2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.

Comment

• rbr1977
        • Feb 2018
        • Kanwal

Thanks for reply guys.
        I'm going to have a crack at it and use RTV to repair tear and let cure then install with the aviation form a gasket I have used it on my boat water pump in the past and it still separated without to much drama. The way the wife drives car might not make it to the next interval. LOL

Comment

• GM...
          • Jan 2013
          • Gold Coast

I've used RTV form a gasket ( only ) without a problem.
          98 NL Pajero, 3.2 Common rail Diesel, Auto with some work.

Comment

• rbr1977
            • Feb 2018
            • Kanwal

All good

Thanks for input guys
            I went with a small amount of Hi Temp sealant on cracked area with grease proof paper either side then clamped overnight cleaned excess squeeze out next day and installed with a light coating of Permatex form a gasket, Working a treat

Thanks again

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X