Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-12

To answer some questions:

No, I don't own a Prado. I have driven a 120 with the D4D engine and it doesn't seem any less coarse than our 3.2s but I'll defer to someone who has more seat time than me.

The drivetrain on the 200 is very refined but here in the US we do not get the height adjustable suspension and just KDSS so over rough roads a fair amount of shock enters the cabin, more so than I noticed in the NW. It all feels solid though, and I knew I was buying an SRA body-on-frame vehicle...kind of like the more truck like feel than a Range Rover-type offers. The 200 replaced my GMC Duramax and has been a great buy so far offering fun both touring and in the trails where the articulation is very impressive.

Pricing in the US as regards the 200-series is not as good as with almost every other make and model of vehicle which can be had for much cheaper prices here. A strange loophole in the law means $3,000 gas guzzler tax does NOT apply to SUVs but even then after taxes and with the upgrade pack they are the thick end of 80k USD. Another negative is we only get the 5.7L petrol and are not offered the 4.5TTD. Plus side is that no vehicle matches their residuals especially as there are so few sold here.

To summarize I really like both the shortie Pajero and 200. For anyone interested, easily the worst vehicle I've owned was the second gen Toyota Tundra pickup. Awful flex where the bed meets the cab totally dominated positive feelings about the brakes and drivetrain. Thankfully, the strengthened frame of the 200 has no such issues as otherwise I was done with Toy.