• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicko62
    • Apr 2012
    • Sunshine Coast

power steering pump whine

hi all, the power steering drive belt was changed at xmas time and the pump has gradually got louder. it is very loud at full lock, but any turning of the steering wheel creates an annoying whine. the old belt was very tight but the new one has been fitted at the correct tension. the fluid has just been changed with the major service. any ideas? the steering is light and responsive, just the damn noise driving me mad.
    Nick
    NL Escape, ecb bullbar,HID nite stalker spotties, SCA roof mounted spotties, mags with pirelli scorpions. roofcage.

Never feel guilty about anything, no matter how bad you've been
  • dolphin
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008

if your steering is working normal when driving, pump is full and there is no air in the lines. i would say other than belt your bearings may need replacing.
    lets hope its something simple in the pump area.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• mr moose
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2011
      • vic, mornington peninsula

There will always be at least a little noise when the steering is at full lock, but what you are discribing sounds like a you are slowly loosing fluid from the pump. It is possible that the steering system was not fully primed at the service and the fluid has just moved from the pump into the steering box. Have you checked the levels yourself recently. If it is down just top it up.
      96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
      Look at me

Comment

• Nicko62
        • Apr 2012
        • Sunshine Coast

yep levels are spot on, think bearings are most probably the cause. anyone know whats involved. i have spent a motza on the car lately, so dont want to think about a new pump.
        NL Escape, ecb bullbar,HID nite stalker spotties, SCA roof mounted spotties, mags with pirelli scorpions. roofcage.

Never feel guilty about anything, no matter how bad you've been

Comment

• mr moose
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2011
          • vic, mornington peninsula

don't know about costs but I'd just look at a wreckers for secondhand unit, They rarely have issues so it should last longer than you have the car.
          96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
          Look at me

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2012
            • Maitland, NSW

You can get cartridge and seal kits for around half the price of a new pump but are no guarentee to fix the issue(my brother tried this with his cruiser but to no avail and he had same symptons as you)

Ebay has a few for around $250(genuine), i think they use the ribbed belt pulley not the V belt though but you can change the shaft and pulley from yours if it's in good nic.
            Either that or just hit up a wrecker or try findapart website for nationwide wreckers contact, Ulverstone wreckers in taz have just about everypart i ring up for so worth giving them a ring also.

I think Mits are asking around $500-$600 for new
            97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
            97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X