• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisPaj2010
    • Oct 2011
    • Brisbane

NW DVD Headrests

Has any body bought a set of these?

There is another forum stating that on the check out we get another %10 discount for Forum members.

I was just looking for feedback on these units if any one has bought them. We are planning a long trip from Brisbane to Kimberley and back via Tanami desert and was thinking of these for the kids.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Chris
    NW Platinum Pearl, Diesel/Auto/Dual battery/extra power sockets/anderson plug/tinted windows/icom 400 Pro/3 x DIY bash plates/DIY false floor/cargo system/T13 bar/Airtec Snorkel/12"Light Bar/60 lt water bladder/12 volt water pump/wet seat covers/brake controller/ 2' lift with lovells and bilsteins, HDP catch can
  • Odie
    • Oct 2009
    • Tassie

I bought a pair of clip on 7" DVD players with games and joysticks when we did a 12000km outback trip a couple of years ago with our kids (then 6 & 10). The peace the players bought was well worth the money but we haven't used them since. The issues we had were that the wiring was messy, the DVD's skipped on heavily corrugated roads and I had to run the power from the front of the car (if I did it all again I'd make sure I fixed the wiring issue pre trip).

You can get cheaper headrest units on ebay to do the same job and maybe tap into power available under the front seats (electric seat wiring) to reduce the wiring clutter.

These would do the same job and they will collect just as much dust after the trip as the dearer units.

2009 Ironbark VRX DiD Auto. 3000kg tow bar.
    Modifications: Polyairs, MMCS Overide, Prodigy Brake Controller, DBA T3 Rotors/Factory Pads

Comment

• Bigbaddave12
      • Jul 2012
      • South East S.A.

Laptops

IMHO. Why not buy two cheap laptops? totally portable, can play games or do "work" edit photos write a trip journal. watch dvds or DL movies etc. and they will be used after at home etc.
      bigbaddave12.
      NW MY12 Platinum Pajero, ARB Bullbar, Greatwhites 18 Led Light Bar, Sandgrabba Mats, Wetseat Covers, Full EGR Block, Airtec Snorkel, Plus more when the money tree grows it's leaves back!

Comment

• ChrisPaj2010
        • Oct 2011
        • Brisbane

Thanks Odie
        Did you buy these from Hong Kong? Any problems?
        Do they work independantly or is one of them a slave screen to the other?
        I would need each kid to be able to play there own movies.

We are doing Bisbane -Kimberley and back via the Tanami desert next July and i have a 15 year old girl and 13 year old boy.

Thanks for the input. Was the wiring a hassle?

Chris
        NW Platinum Pearl, Diesel/Auto/Dual battery/extra power sockets/anderson plug/tinted windows/icom 400 Pro/3 x DIY bash plates/DIY false floor/cargo system/T13 bar/Airtec Snorkel/12"Light Bar/60 lt water bladder/12 volt water pump/wet seat covers/brake controller/ 2' lift with lovells and bilsteins, HDP catch can

Comment

• Odie
          • Oct 2009
          • Tassie

I took a punt and bought a cheap no name set from China. The ones I have don't work independantly. The kids played the games together and took turns on DVD's. I cable tied the wiring as best I good to keep it out of the way but it still worked loose at different times and required stops to fix it. As I mentioned - you should be able to take power from under the seats and thereby keep all the wiring hidden on the new style units within and under the seats. Don't forget to buy spare batteries for the controllers and headphones. I also used the players occasionally in towns with good reception as a TV set to keep up with the news (mine have analog tuners).

We travelled for seven weeks between Darwin and Perth via the Kimberley. We had a small taste of the Tanami Track when we visited Wolf Creek Crater from Hall Creek. The Tanami corrugations made Gibb River Road feel like a highway. I thought our MMCS was going to launch out of the top of the dashboard it shook so badly. Can't wait to do it all again. Back to point - the children argued flat out for the first week but then became reasonably close for the remainder. A few hot bush walks to incredibly breathtaking gorges built their character. I doubt you'll need separate players.
          2009 Ironbark VRX DiD Auto. 3000kg tow bar.
          Modifications: Polyairs, MMCS Overide, Prodigy Brake Controller, DBA T3 Rotors/Factory Pads

Comment

• Bretski
            • May 2008
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by ChrisPaj2010 View Post
            Has any body bought a set of these?

There is another forum stating that on the check out we get another %10 discount for Forum members.

I was just looking for feedback on these units if any one has bought them. We are planning a long trip from Brisbane to Kimberley and back via Tanami desert and was thinking of these for the kids.

Any thoughts?
            Thanks
            Chris
            They look pretty good

Comment

• markus
              • Jan 2008
              • Sydney Northern Beaches, NSW

I bought two Xtrons 9in players about a year ago, they've worked faultlessly ever since. We started using them with DVDs but have now moved to using movies ripped on to SD cards which is heaps better, no moving parts, easy to change movies etc. Both can work independently or be linked together. Wiring wasn't really a hassle as long as it's tied together properly with cable ties, tape, etc. The games are crap though, we only use it for movies. Remotes are cluttered but work well, and the headphones work well too.

Would buy them again in a heartbeat (we bought from an aussie reseller for a small premium over the HK price), they're worth their weight in gold on long trips with kids, as well as when packing up the campsite.
              Mark
              -----------------
              2010 NT Activ Auto DID Silver, Rear Diff Lock, Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/70R17LT, Lovell HD/Bilstein 2" Lift, Polyairs, ARB Deluxe Bar, Airtek Snorkel, Tow Bar, XRay 55w HID Spotties, Bushskinz plates & rear protector bar, GME TX4500S, Ctek D250S Dual Battery, Rhino Pioneer Platform, ARB 47L Fridge

Comment

• ChrisPaj2010
                • Oct 2011
                • Brisbane

Thanks for the feed back guys really appreciate this.
                I have been PM with Asad regarding the units and he has confirmed they work independently which is great.
                Asad seems very good to deal with so will most likely be going with this in the coming weeks.
                Cant wait for the trip though and this will give me piece of mind for the long boring sections with the kids.

Cheer.

Comment

• kimi_ke2
                  • May 2013
                  • America

I've got car headrest monitor like this. 9 inch with Android 2.3 Tablet PC and Car Multimedia System. Very easy to install.

Comment

• PradoEater
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Oatley

anyone seen any of these in cloth instead of leather? saw ones but they were only monitors few months ago.
                    NT 2011 DiD 30th Anniversary Edition, factory RD Lock, Toyo RT 33”, PWR interCooler, PWR radiator, MRT EcuTek tune, OL Steel Loop Bar, VRS 9500, ARB Awning, Kings rear awning, Full bushkinz, HD lovells + Koni RAIDS, front & back nolathane, EGR Block, 52'' LED bar, Scan Gauge 2, Projecta 150A, Optima + Fullriver, ProVent 200, Airtec Snorkel, Beaudesert Exhaust.
                    Towing 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC

Comment

• Quietguy
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2011
                      • Forster, NSW

Sony DVD players were a great buy

Taking 3 kids on a 3000km trip I found buying a Sony portable DVD player for each of them was a great investment.

A side by side comparison in the store showed the Sony units gave a much better picture than the cheaper units, and were well worth the slight extra cost.

Having their own player each meant they could have the video of heir choice and no fights, and as the players internal battery lasted for 2 full movies recharging was never a problem.

A bonus was that the kids could take their player into the van at night and I got to watch the TV of my choice.

Definitely a better choice that headrest or roof mounted players I reckon.

David

Comment

• Bigbaddave12
                        • Jul 2012
                        • South East S.A.

Originally posted by Quietguy View Post
                        Taking 3 kids on a 3000km trip I found buying a ..............
                        Definitely a better choice that headrest or roof mounted players I reckon.

David
                        Or consider getting a laptop. Then they can watch movies play games (internet?) edit photos and write an electronic journal.

Dave
                        bigbaddave12.
                        NW MY12 Platinum Pajero, ARB Bullbar, Greatwhites 18 Led Light Bar, Sandgrabba Mats, Wetseat Covers, Full EGR Block, Airtec Snorkel, Plus more when the money tree grows it's leaves back!

Comment

• steveandviv
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2008
                          • Broome

Just thought I'd add these into the mix. I like these as I can play movies strait off a SD Card which suits us as the DVD's will scratch if used in rough terrain. These are also interdependent and and come with 300 games. We've had our 5 years now with no issues

http://www.optionaudio.com.au./lcd_screens.php
                          2000 NM Paj - 2.5 Inch Lift - 81 Long Range tank - UHF - Rhino Rack - Dual Batteries - Hella 4000 Spotties - ARB Bar - Cargo Barrier - Custom Shelves - GPS Screen - Garmin GPS - Snorkle - Ox TJM Winch - MT MTZ - Polly Bags - Front ARB Locker - 50&60ltr Waeco....http://www.steveandviv.blogspot.com/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X