Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Challenger > PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014

PB -PC Challenger 2009 - 2014 Covering 2.5 HP diesel

Old 16-02-20

Default Rocks in chassis rail

My PC has developed a rattle. It is a metalic sounding thing that sounds like loose washers being rattled somewhere and only at certain frequencies. I have checked everything I can think of. It has been up on a hoist for suspension check (and every thing else) and been through the local dealer for a service. Still nothing has been found. At least that rules out anything obvious.

I'm now strongly suspecting I've picked up a stone (or several) in the chassis rail. Anyone got some tips or advice on how to remove stones from in there?

thanks in advance
Old 16-02-20
Super Moderator

Remove the end fitting off a garden hose and insert the hose into the access holes in the high points of the chassis in the wheel arches. Run the hose at full pressure and you will see a stream of sand, dirt, grit and rocks flow from the chassis drain holes.

I do this every time I clean the car after an off bitumen trip and are surprised at what collects inside the chassis rails.

I doubt this is your problem.

I would be also looking at the bash plate mounts, there are 6 in total, these crack even when the factory splash plates are fitted. When these mounts break you get a metallic rattle you can hear from the cabin.

OJ.
2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
Old 16-02-20
Valued Member

I recall a few instances of a loose shroud surrounding the rear output shaft & seal of the transfer case. Might be worth a look to see if that shroud has come adrift..

Attached to the chassis rails just behind the front wheels there are two 'boxes' that I think are support points. These 'boxes' can easily catch a handful of gravel or rocks. You have to bend your wrist in a tight arc and reach into the top of the boxes to feel for debris.

The rear mudflaps are formed with a large void in the moulded upper part, just behind and directly above the mudflaps. . There's only a small drain hole for that void but plenty of rocks get trapped in there. Again, you need to have 'Inspector Gadget' hands to feel in that space.

Last edited by Kingbrown; 16-02-20 at 08:31 AM.
Old 22-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Jack View Post
Remove the end fitting off a garden hose and insert the hose into the access holes in the high points of the chassis in the wheel arches. Run the hose at full pressure and you will see a stream of sand, dirt, grit and rocks flow from the chassis drain holes.

I do this every time I clean the car after an off bitumen trip and are surprised at what collects inside the chassis rails.

I doubt this is your problem.

I would be also looking at the bash plate mounts, there are 6 in total, these crack even when the factory splash plates are fitted. When these mounts break you get a metallic rattle you can hear from the cabin.

OJ.
Thanks OJ. I have double checked all the mounts and all seem fine so not this. The stones I have already pulled out have often been larger than the drain holes in the chassis rails so I dont think a hose will fix this problem.
Old 22-02-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbrown View Post
I recall a few instances of a loose shroud surrounding the rear output shaft & seal of the transfer case. Might be worth a look to see if that shroud has come adrift..

Attached to the chassis rails just behind the front wheels there are two 'boxes' that I think are support points. These 'boxes' can easily catch a handful of gravel or rocks. You have to bend your wrist in a tight arc and reach into the top of the boxes to feel for debris.

The rear mudflaps are formed with a large void in the moulded upper part, just behind and directly above the mudflaps. . There's only a small drain hole for that void but plenty of rocks get trapped in there. Again, you need to have 'Inspector Gadget' hands to feel in that space.
Thanks Kingbrown. Checked all these and problem still there. I had already cleaned out the boxes and there are 2 towards the rear as well. All had stones in them which were removed but problem still there.

I hadn't checked rear mudflaps though. The drivers side was empty but removed 30+ stones from the passenger side.

The hunt continues.