• Show
Clear All
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Top 5 or 10 Threads in each sub-forum?

Hi Admin and Moderators,

Great forum and we all really appreciate the efforts of you guys on behalf of the Pajero Club of Victoria. Best on-line forum in my opinion!

Question, is it possible to list the top 5 or 10 threads in each sub-forum based on posts and then views. Maybe directly under the "sticky" list?
    I think this would give newcomers a quick and direct link to the most commonly asked questions and subjects discussed. I am sure this would save on duplicate posts.

cheers, old Jack.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Good idea old Jack.

If top 10 stickys isn't possible, how about a single sticky called "popular threads", that returns a search of the threads in that category which are sorted by posts/views.

Using the advanced search lets you sort by posts or views, but requires a keyword, and using common english words like "the" or "a" as a keyword doesn't return a search result.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

Didn't we try something like that a while ago with this thread ...

I remember posting heaps of stuff from various threads into it but don't know if it ever gets used now.

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• Gus
        Administrator
        • Mar 2008
        • Traralgon. Vic

We did & guys the top threads come up all the time if you hit new posts.. Admin/Mods will discuss & get back..
        VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
        NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• abw
          • Aug 2013
          • Sydney

I think this is an excellent idea! Maybe a dedicated "moderator" could search and merge threads/posts into stickys?

Or would a wiki type page be better?

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
          Hi Admin and Moderators,

Great forum and we all really appreciate the efforts of you guys on behalf of the Pajero Club of Victoria. Best on-line forum in my opinion!

Question, is it possible to list the top 5 or 10 threads in each sub-forum based on posts and then views. Maybe directly under the "sticky" list?
          I think this would give newcomers a quick and direct link to the most commonly asked questions and subjects discussed. I am sure this would save on duplicate posts.

cheers, old Jack.
          was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

• NFT5
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2011
            • Canberra

I'd like to see it too since it would make searching for stuff so much easier.

But...there are two problems.

Firstly the decision to keep like information together is one that has to be made early in the life of a forum so that it doesn't get scattered all over the place. At that point it is something that isn't all that difficult for the Mods to merge like threads and keep some semblance of continuity. That would be impossible now since so many threads cover the same thing and run concurrently. A perfect example is the EGR SPV mod. Threads going on that all over the place here.

Secondly, the task of making up some kind of index/Wiki is a big enough task even if you start early and make an ongoing attempt to keep it updated. To do it at the stage that this forum is at in terms of number of threads and posts would be a mammoth task.

So, good idea, but almost impossible to implement now.

Oh, and one other thing. The Search engine in VBulletin sucks - which makes even finding the right threads to index an excessively difficult task.
            Chris

Comment

• Goodsy
              Who ya gunna call....
              • Dec 2010
              • Hervey Bay

No way it would work. I've posted too much crap.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Pickle
                Administrator
                • Jun 2007
                • All over Oz

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                No way it would work. I've posted too much crap.

Dave
                NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post

Question, is it possible to list the top 5 or 10 threads in each sub-forum based on posts and then views.

Do you know you can sort the forum by just that without mods changing anything. When you open a sub forum, on the right you can sort by rating, post date,views or replies, either ascending or descending. For an example, attached is clips of the gen 3 sub forum. Sorted by highest count view and highest count replies. Noting, stickys are always first, no matter the count.

The default opening of a sub forum is by post date. But you have the power to sort by rating, post, date, views or #replies by clicking the box you want to sort by and clicking the arrow for ascending/declining.
                  Attached Files
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• m_and_m
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                    Do you know you can sort the forum by just that without mods changing anything. When you open a sub forum, on the right you can sort by rating, post date,views or replies, either ascending or descending. For an example, attached is clips of the gen 3 sub forum. Sorted by highest count view and highest count replies. Noting, stickys are always first, no matter the count.

The default opening of a sub forum is by post date. But you have the power to sort by rating, post, date, views or #replies by clicking the box you want to sort by and clicking the arrow for ascending/declining.
                    Oh man, sooo easy when yo know how

I think old Jacks point is valid though. I've been on the forum for years and didnt know the above. When i log in the forum i use the obvious "new posts" search to see whats been happening.
                    The vbulliten search engine is poor, so I use google.

Something similar to the "new posts" at the top of the sub-category (called popular threads) would make it easier for many...including myself
                    Last edited by m_and_m; 29-11-14, 12:14 AM.
                    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
                    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
                    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• NFT5
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Canberra

I guess the practicality of it has to be considered.

I can think of maybe 30 popular subjects, so if the major threads on all of these were stickied in every forum there would be a lot of threads.

I've tried Google too. Only problem is that results there are clouded by peoples' sig lines which Google includes in the results. Too confusing for my poor, tired brain.
                      Chris

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X