• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rusty1
    • Jun 2015
    • Rous NSW

Mates of Mickey

Hi guys, not really important or relevant to anything, but have just put a new set of Mickey Thompson tires on. First time that I've lashed out on tires, always just bought Bridgestone or Dunlop. I cannot believe the difference that it has made to ride quality and the noise quality. They are fantastic. Had a good run to the Gold Coast and back in torrential rain and they performed faultlessly.
    2011 NT Platinum, SPV egr mod, ARB Sahara bar, ARB Intensity lights, Redarc DC/DC40, Redarc Tow-Pro elite, Clearview mirrors, Uniden 8020, Pioneer AVZ-H5050BT, ARK pac 715 with 100a/hr agm, Evakool fridg, Hema HX1, Steinbauer module, M&M Lockup Mate and more.
  • old Jack
    Regular
    • Jun 2011
    • Adelaide, South Australia.

Which Mickey T’s and in what size?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Rusty1
      • Jun 2015
      • Rous NSW

Hi OJ, didn't think anyone would be to interested. Just standard rims standard size tyres. But as I said, so much better than budget brands. I went in to buy Dunlops but the tyre guy said how these Mickeys. I said that I would love them or Coopers but thought that they were to expensive for me. He gave me a price that I thought was pretty good ($230 each) fitted and balanced so I went ahead. I'm now convinced there's no substitute for quality.
      2011 NT Platinum, SPV egr mod, ARB Sahara bar, ARB Intensity lights, Redarc DC/DC40, Redarc Tow-Pro elite, Clearview mirrors, Uniden 8020, Pioneer AVZ-H5050BT, ARK pac 715 with 100a/hr agm, Evakool fridg, Hema HX1, Steinbauer module, M&M Lockup Mate and more.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
        • May 2017
        • Freo ish

Yep x2

Mickey Thompson BAJA ATZ P3.

Friggen weapons.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• Hatto
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2013
          • Mandurah WA

Which Mickey t tread pattern are they. Highway tyres, all terrains or mud terrains?
          Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
          ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Rusty1
            • Jun 2015
            • Rous NSW

Mickey AT 38. More of a highway pattern cause it has a silicon based compound for noise reduction (or so I'm told).

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011
              • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Rusty1 View Post
              Mickey AT 38. More of a highway pattern cause it has a silicon based compound for noise reduction (or so I'm told).
              The AT 38 is a HT/ mild AT pattern and it is the tread pattern, tread depth and tread block stiffness that influences the noise generated by the tyre. Silica is added to the rubber compound used on the tread area to improve wet weather handling and is used by many premium tyre manufacturers.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Well, today I dropped $300 a corner on new tyres.

Went into the local Cooper dealer and asked for a set of AT3's. Drove out on a set of the new Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 ATs.

According to the guy that runs the store they are the next level of technology up from the AT3s, offering better wet weather handling and quieter ride, without compromising tread wear or toughness.

Looking at the two tyres side by side the MT 38s have a very slightly less open tread pattern and slightly squarer shoulders. Tread patterns are similar and since they're the same company incorporate many similar design features in looks and construction.

Took the long way back to work and so far I'm impressed. Impact vibration and noise on small variations in the road surface are almost imperceptible (compared with the outgoing Bridgestone 697s which made a matchstick sound and feel like a log). Road noise on bitumen is acceptably low (these are ATs, not road tyres) and grip is excellent (hope so, for new tyres).

One thing that really impressed me is that the tyres actually made the suspension feel much better. I guess that they're doing their part of the task better and the whole vehicle feels more comfortable and compliant. I couldn't feel any sidewall movement or tread squirm and pressures, as always from a tyre joint, are right up there at nearly 40psi.

After only 46,000km from the 697s the 80,000km guarantee was a relief and 13mm tread depth will certainly help that.

Long term, we'll see, but I've always had good runs with Coopers and no reason to expect differently for the MickeyTs.
                Chris

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X