Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 1 Pajero

Generation 1 Pajero NA - NG Models 1983 - 1991

Old 08-09-17

Send a message via Skype™ to supraminipooj
Default Diff swap for LSD

Hello all. Been a bit since I posted on here, but truck has been running like a champ so not much need. Question I have now is rear diff compatibility.

I have a friend w/ a Gen 2 3.0 V6 American model Montero chassis with 4.625 gears in it. My Saudi origin 85 has 4.875 gears in the rear but no posi-trac or LSD. Now that I'm living in Alaska, that is a bit of a problem in the winter. Would the internals from the Gen 2 fit in my Gen 1 Diff?

I've done some searching on the forums but haven't really come up with much.....

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-09-17
Resident

Working solely from the ARB Air Locker fitment guide, I would guess not.

It suggests pre 1987 had a smaller rear diff than the Gen 2 3.0.

However, I would expect the later model 9" rear axle assembly to bolt into yours pretty easily - but I guess they're not easy to find where you live?

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....
Old 08-09-17
Valued Member

cant give good dates but the reality is no..... As mentioned the 9" may be usable in yours but you would need to find one with compatible gearing and I believe they do exist. The biggest issue is there seems no real hard rules - most mitsi's of the era (mid 80's -0 mid 90's) conform to a general rule of thumb as to what is fitted with what but it seems as we get more and more into it the exceptions seem to become more and more.

The best place to start is with our basic paj database in this thread and go from there

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans
Old 11-09-17

first or second gen v6 united states monteros have a 9" rearend, which isnt compatable with the 8" rearend you have. The second gen montero sr has a 9.5" factory air locker, the entire axle is a nice upgrade, but you would not be able to use your gears. You can buy weld on leaf spring perches for that axle.

So, basically, you will need either a 4 cylinder 1st gen montero lsd third member, or a 4 cylinder mighty max/d50 lsd third member. Those are both 8" like your rig.

As a side note, the v6 front diff is 8" low pinion on first gen montero, and high pinion on second gen. Neither will work for you bolt in wise, but you can modify your front mounts to accept the first gen v6 low pinion diff, but again, you would need to use 4.625 as we never got those nice 4.8 gears in the states. If you did upgrade to the 8" diff, you could run a starion lsd, or a arb air locker designed for the front of a v6 montero. Keep in mind, you would need to swap axles and hubs as well I believe from a v6 to make the v6 front diff work.

You shouldnt have too much difficulty finding a lsd 3rd member though,. Try car-part.com you can probably get one shipped from there. Nice place to find stuff like that as it searches many junk yards.