• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Halfcocked
    • Feb 2017
    • Melbourne

help me choose which car to buy

hey guys first post in here, would like some help deciding on a car to buy. i tried searching land cruiser vs pajero with no luck. i also couldn't find a forum sub category such as "the pub" where you talk about general topics, so here i am.

I'm deciding between
    pajero nt,nw,nx.
    100 series landcruiser
    colorado 7

i want to keep the car for a long time and fit it out with bulbar, trade rack, and fridge.
    i will tow a boat and 2.5 tonne trailer occasionally and eventually would like to tow a van around australia. budget max 35k

all cars are diesel and over 145kw and auto. thats why I've ruled out the patrol.

i can get excellent low km varieties of pajero and colorado 7 for under 35k, but the cruisers have over 250000km on them.

so i have many questions for you good people.

is a pajero just a wannabe land cruiser? are they the bees knees?
    how many km can i expect of the engines in each?
    how much to rebuild a cruiser engine?
    what other things will go on a cruiser over 350km?
    is the pajero much smaller?
    can one tow more than the other and better for towing?

can each fit trade racks and how much load carrying capacity?

i haven't been in any of these cars so any advice or opinions are much appreciated. thanks
    100 Series
    20.00%
    Pajero
    80.00%
    Colorado
    0.00%
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

I moved the thread to "Other Makes", as it discusses a total of three makes, but lost your poll in the process. I managed to add options, but any previous votes will have been lost.

Asking this on a Pajero forum will give you skewed results - many of us are here because we believe the Pajero is the best fit for our needs, so we're inclined to think it will also be good for you.

Personally, I think either the Pajero or the 100 Series will do what you want, and the Colorado probably will - but I don't know much about them.

The 100 Series is undoubtedly an excellent and proven outback tourer, and the price premium reflects the demand that comes with its reputation. It is also widely considered that a price premium is associated with any parts that come in a box with the Toyota emblem on it - so you pay a premium to acquire it, and a premium to keep it.

In remote areas you will find more parts and servicing knowledge for the 'Cruiser - when you're doing your Big Lap, how far off the bitumen do you intend to venture? Perhaps more important, how much will your van weigh? The Pajero may be rated to tow 3000kg, but I firmly believe that limit is only for towing a big boat across town - not a caravan around the country. Personally, I wouldn't advise a Pajero for long distance towing of more than 2500kg - the maximum limit beyond which Mitsubishi derate the ball weight.

Notwithstanding the above, I'm comfortable that a Pajero will do what you want; I expect it will be more comfortable on road than the 100 Series, and outperform the Colorado off-road. My NT continues to surprise me with its capability, and would probably follow a similarly spec'd 100 Series anywhere that your average tourer would want to go. I don't know of any tourist destination in Australia that I wouldn't tackle in my NT.

So I'd say go the Pajero, but honestly, keep an open mind and you may be surprised what bargains you can find.
    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Hatto
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2013
      • Mandurah WA

Pajero for me. I love the 100 series but for the same money you'd be buying an older vehicle with a heap more km on it.
      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Amok
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
        I love the 100 series but for the same money you'd be buying an older vehicle with a heap more km on it.
        same. I'd prefer a Landcruiser but I refuse to pay the Toyota tax.
        MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

• Halfcocked
          • Feb 2017
          • Melbourne

thanks for the reply mate. i wondered where my post had gone and just sent a pm regarding. you're doing a good job.

prob all gonna come down to personal choice vs $$ i guess. prob all good options for what i want to do.
          i do want a vehicle that can do it all and keep for over 10 years. definitely a toyota premium but. it irks me paying 35k for something with over 300k on it but i may have too.
          I've thought about getting one for $21000 and rebuilding the motor etc and having a new like vehicle that'll outlast me.

keep the opinions coming

Comment

• Halfcocked
            • Feb 2017
            • Melbourne

space wise, is there much more room in a cruiser for luggage and to sleep in the back? i know theres a step in a pajero to consider, not sure about cruiser

Comment

• Dicko1
              Valued Member
              • Dec 2014
              • Cairns, FNQ

Toyota 100 series with 145kw must be petrol model?....

Mate I looked at 200 series, discos, patrols, isuzu etc...Ended up with the Paj because it can do all the others can (maybe not tow 3000kg + as the 200) and ticked all the right boxes. For $35k you will get a great all round vehicle that will keep up with any cruiser off road and is a lot more plaesant to drive in the city. Running costs will be cheaper as well. 300,000klm on any vehicle is getting up there. Any diesel 100 series will be as slow as a wet weekend..I know! 300,000klm on any petrol motor is taking a chance as well. Dont rush in to the first thing you see. There are some great buys out there and dont be afraid to buy interstate if you have too as well.
              Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Halfcocked
                • Feb 2017
                • Melbourne

151kw and 430nm torque. 4.2l 1hd-fte intercooled turbo diesel on cruisers approx 2001-2007.
                most people say they forget the van is even on the back. and that 300k is just wearing them in.

you reckon a paj would handle on road better? I'm pretty content with my 09 colorado on road and I'm not too fussy as I'm a truck driver currently in a 20 year old hino with 900k on it. aircon, cruise con and cup holders are important though

Comment

• Dicko1
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Halfcocked View Post
                  151kw and 430nm torque. 4.2l 1hd-fte intercooled turbo diesel on cruisers approx 2001-2007.
                  most people say they forget the van is even on the back. and that 300k is just wearing them in.

you reckon a paj would handle on road better? I'm pretty content with my 09 colorado on road and I'm not too fussy as I'm a truck driver currently in a 20 year old hino with 900k on it. aircon, cruise con and cup holders are important though

Wasnt sure if you were talking about possibly the best diesel motor to grace Aus roads. These vehicles hold their value immensely. Bloke around the corner has one. 280,000 and has sold it for $43,000. Unreal. Car was in pristine condition. I would prefer the Toyota over the Paj for towing but the Paj for everyday city/suburb running around. Decisions, decisions. If I had the money to buy a very good tojo100 with the turbo factory motor I,d have one tomorrow.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Nab
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • Perth

Totally depends on how well it was looked after. If well maintained it will do 500,000km+ without batting an eyelid!

Still hard to swallow ~$40,000 for a 250,000km+, at least 10 year old 4WD, no matter the reputation....
                    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

• Pickle
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2007
                      • All over Oz

thanks for the reply mate. i wondered where my post had gone and just sent a pm regarding. you're doing a good job.
                      Not a PM....more like an email. Scott has explained what happened.
                      And go a Paj NX
                      Dave
                      NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                      Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Peterng
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Northern Rivers NSW

hey guys first post in here, would like some help deciding on a car to buy. i tried searching land cruiser vs pajero with no luck. i also couldn't find a forum sub category such as "the pub" where you talk about general topics, so here i am.

I'm deciding between
                        pajero nt,nw,nx.
                        100 series landcruiser
                        colorado 7

i want to keep the car for a long time and fit it out with bulbar, trade rack, and fridge.
                        i will tow a boat and 2.5 tonne trailer occasionally and eventually would like to tow a van around australia. budget max 35k

all cars are diesel and over 145kw and auto. thats why I've ruled out the patrol.

i can get excellent low km varieties of pajero and colorado 7 for under 35k, but the cruisers have over 250000km on them.

so i have many questions for you good people.

is a pajero just a wannabe land cruiser? are they the bees knees?
                        how many km can i expect of the engines in each?
                        how much to rebuild a cruiser engine?
                        what other things will go on a cruiser over 350km?
                        is the pajero much smaller?
                        can one tow more than the other and better for towing?

can each fit trade racks and how much load carrying capacity?

i haven't been in any of these cars so any advice or opinions are much appreciated. thanks
                        It will be between the 100 and Pajero.
                        The Colorado 7 is not too much chop really.
                        I would move towards the Isuzu MU X for it is better overall package, if the budget gets tight, for the Colorado 7 was the GM / Holden clone of the MUX.
                        I had the dual cab ute ute version Colorado for work...engine was good, the manual gearbox...a joke, the auto chased gears too many times and in 80,000k I went through 2 clutches and 4 sets of breaks pad and 1 complete set of disks, 3 sets of tyres.
                        It had electronic gremlins that could never be fixed...

Comment

• dhula
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2012
                          • South of Perth

If you want to tow a 2.5t trl and then at some stage do a lap then IMO get a 100s
                          The TD in the 100s is a ripper and in many people's opinion the best Toyota made, not that the Paj engine is a bad one.
                          When loaded up the rear suspension won't cause excessive tyre wear like the Paj can. You can sort the Paj suspension though
                          The 100s has a 3.5t tow limit and IIRC a 350kg ball load out of the box, the Paj IMO is limited to 2.5t and 250kg even though you can do 3t with a reduced ball load of 180kg. I'm still not convinced about the 3t+300kg that can be done to the Paj but that's me personally.
                          More Toyota dealers around the traps than Mitsu dealers which should translate into easier to get parts if needed.
                          The 100s comes with 145 litres worth of fuel tank which can be extended to close to 200l with the right aftermarket gear if need be
                          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Chainsaw
                            • Oct 2016
                            • Sunshine Coast Aust

I had a 2002 100 series diesel and have regretted the day I sold it. Had it for 12 years and never let me down. Towed a 22ft van up over Mt Hotham, has all the power you need and fuel econ will range between 10 - 17 L/100. Make sure get the one with independant front suspension.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X