• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beng
    • Jul 2015
    • Nsw

Originally posted by Paj man View Post
    That's some fair points.

I have driven new petrols and diesels offroad as well and have found the trend continues but never have driven a v8, nor have I the 200 or y62.

Gx is the base model, mine's use the base model but I certainly wouldn't call the gx a mine spec car.
    All I can say is before you hand over your hard earned at least test drive both and look at what your dollar gets you.

Mine is the ST-L which was dropped after series one. But basically it is similar in spec to the GXL, probably has a little more fruit actually. I picked it up for 52g as new (1000odd km on the clock). At the time a GXL was high 80's (my best quote).

Now you can only get TI or TI-L spec which equate to VX and Sahara respectively. People are picking TI's up for around 65k and TI-L for 75ish. But dealers apparently are not as amenable to discount pricing compared to 6 months ago as the model is gaining modestly in popularity/demand.

As for comparing to other modern petrol engines. Very few manufacturers use VVEL, Nissan is one and BMW use it as well. It allowes the intake valve lift, duration and timing to be continuously and infinitely adjusted to suit load and revs. I believe in series 3 they have the VVEL on the exhaust side as well as intake which has improved fuel use above series one.

I had an LS3 powered Maloo with similar maximum torque and power figures, but the Nissan V8 is definitely more linear in its response and makes more grunt down very low, the LS3 with its non variable cam profile had a definite rush of torque beyond 4000rpm (not that it was a slouch down low given the light vehicle it was in!)

The truth is patrol, cruiser or Pajero they are all very capable, powerful and comfortable compared to our options 15 years ago, the tech is leaping ahead.
    Last edited by beng; 23-03-17, 09:30 PM.

Comment

• 2bad4u
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by beng View Post
      Make no mistake, diesel is on its last gasps in passenger vehicles, petrol/hybird is the next stop gap until they figure out how to charge electric only 4x4's in the bush!!
      Agree with this 100% and not just in passenger vehicles, there are already some changes/developments with diesel on the way in the heavy vehicle industry. However, full electric I'm not convinced is the future. I suspect hybrid will be the future for a long time, including hybrid diesels.
      Warren
      2012 NW DiD Activ - Retired
      2023 Nissan Y62 Patrol Ti

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by 2bad4u View Post
        Agree with this 100% and not just in passenger vehicles, there are already some changes/developments with diesel on the way in the heavy vehicle industry. However, full electric I'm not convinced is the future. I suspect hybrid will be the future for a long time, including hybrid diesels.
        Diesel may be "on its last gasps" - I really don't know.

But I do remember Ford dropping V8 engines, and "V8s 'til '98".

Strange things happen.
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Bru9
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2014
          • Victoria

Originally posted by beng View Post
          Drive them back to back. I did several times actually!!

The cruiser feels very underwhelming to drive, particularly stock, anyone who thinks they go hard needs their head read!!
          The fact they need chipping to make them go halfway decent after you have forked over near 90g already is rediculous!

Torque does not nexcesaroly equate to performance!! The petrol V8 is lush!! It's making a not inconsiderable 510nm from1600rpm but can hold that output and more until 6000rpm whereas the cruiser runs out of puff at 3600rpm, needs an up shift and transmits even less power to the road as it loses gearing advantage!

Don't fall for flywheel torque figures and try and equate them to how the vehicle will drive. Flywheel torque is multiplied by the drivetrain to output the final torque at the wheels, the gearing advantage of the petrol V8 is superior and at any road speed with any load in tow it will outperform the diesel. At 1900rpm the 500 odd NM will provide the same power to the road as the 650nm at 1600rpm. By 3500rpm the diesel has no advantage over the petrol and once it has to shift up is left behind.

Remember the cruiser has to run long gearing to utilise its larger torque figure, once the gearing is taken into account actual performance to the road is lower!!

So for towing duties sure you need to carry 200 to 400rpm more in the petrol to output the same power to the road (below 3000rpm), but in such a free spinning, smooth motor it is simply no issue, the drive is serenely relaxing and quiet at 2000 or 2250rpm which is the revs I typically use when towing 2700kg.
          Anyway the old crap box Aisin 6speed in the 200sereis needs to be held back in 4th (2500rpm)if your towing anything properly heavy meaning your wasting all that good sub 1600rpm torque thanks to a torque converter that won't lock up in 5th and 6th with load on it!!
          Sure you can buy a lock up kit, just throwing good money after bad IMO.

My old XR6 turbo 'only' made around 530nm of torque, about what a V6 Navara can make, but the tractability of that engine simply destroys the diesel in the Nav, torque is important to making power, but holding torque over a wide rpm range, which is what motors like the XR6 turbo and the Vk56 can do makes for a really satisfying drive.

I can poke along in the high gears using the available low down grunt and with the flip of the shifter access the 4000rpm and beyond power to safely overtake or accelerate up steep hills. Remember the V8 petrol sounds absolutely fantastic running at 4000rpm or above, something that cannot be said for a ratly old smoker!!

I don't think I could ever go back to an oiler!!
          Good points, the new v8 is incredible, that much torque at 1600rpm. Oh lord.

Toyota are evil. The cost of their vehicles for what little ya get is disgusting. But I'm reading about 35% torque gain & 60% HP. That to me for lunch money sounds incredible. Like in the 79dual cab V8 ute coz standard that thing is slow like a stock 3L patrol.

Personally I would have kept the patrol stock & silent, No petrol with a loud exhaust sounds good to me, a stock 200 sounds better. A truly ridiculous sound was a ford ranger Diesel, sooo much engine & turbo noise. They should be banned along with these 4.2 patrols that sound like a truck.
          2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X