• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bru9
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • Victoria

Originally posted by beng View Post

Size wise they are not even in the same class! The 2nd row of the Y62 is simply cavernous compared to the Pajero, I and 6'3 and I could sit in the 2nd row with the drivers seat in my position and still stretch my legs out comfortably.
    Crazy room. Can you post a pic of an adult in sitting in second row seats with the front seat far enough back so while driving you can comfortable fit legs. Because I don't know if you mean literally stretch legs out in second row? That's like 1.5-2ft extra length.

Long live Petrol! Power house thats quiet & decent cargo space. The way modern wagons are going they are utterly broken & getting smaller with smaller power & disposable diesel motors.

To me when I hear fuel usage complaints I think of the LC200 & it's 8 injectors that need replacing every 100,000+KM? or whatever it is.

I noticed all the Patrols I see look really low & sagging in rear too like you need a lift just to go out bush. Those were just mums driving bare stock too.

Just me or do they look really good with mods? The bullbar & spotties hide the ugly urban face.
    2000 NM Exceed Auto V6 3.5

Comment

• beng
      • Jul 2015
      • Nsw

No you can't have you knees completely straigt!! But the extra seat height combined with the leg room allows you to sit in a natural position with room to stretch your legs and feet without having your knees jammed against the back of the drivers seat.

It's probably not quite as much leg room as say a long wheelbase Holden caprice, but it's not too far off of that gives an idea.

I have spent enough trips in the second row of my mates Pajero to be able to say it is not comfortable to travel in any more than maybe 2 hours.
      I would be happy to lap the continent in the second row of my patrol. ( though driving it is far more fun!)

As for the bum down look of a stock one that is a bit to do with the stance, I think it has been deliberately designed with a huge imposing and high bonnet for the 'gangsta' look which makes the bum appear low.

I wheeled mine and also towed 2700kg of boat around heaps before I changed the suspension and tyres. There is more than ample clearance in stock form to tackle your typical touring style high country tracks.
      As I said to look at it in isolation it looks low...... it's not, I think as far as stock typically availabile vehicles goes only the LR Disco 4 has more clearance when it's air suspension is at max height and only by 10mm or so.

Fuel use when towing in my experience I could consistently return within 10% of a colleagues 200series diesel towing almost identical boats. And highway use can get embarrassingly close to the 200series

The newer series 3 models have a revised engine with VVT on the exhaust. My series one model has the VVEL on the inlet side only which is pretty cool tech in itself. But he economy the series 3 owners are reporting are almost lineball with a 200sereis diesel.
      Considering it's bigger and on 33inch rubber in stock configuration it's fuel use is fair.
      It's not a meiser but it's really not as bad as the uninformed would have you believe.
      Last edited by beng; 09-03-17, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• s311_bvm
        • Oct 2011
        • AUS

Beng. It's good to see someone has a D.O.T. from Drifta. You should post a review of it. It's a great Aussie product.

Comment

• beng
          • Jul 2015
          • Nsw

Yes I love my DOT!!

Have lots of products from Luke, no nonsense products and great customer service.

Comment

• Bru9
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2014
            • Victoria

No you can't have you knees completely straigt!! But the extra seat height combined with the leg room allows you to sit in a natural position with room to stretch your legs and feet without having your knees jammed against the back of the drivers seat.

It's probably not quite as much leg room as say a long wheelbase Holden caprice, but it's not too far off of that gives an idea.

I have spent enough trips in the second row of my mates Pajero to be able to say it is not comfortable to travel in any more than maybe 2 hours.
            I would be happy to lap the continent in the second row of my patrol. ( though driving it is far more fun!)

As for the bum down look of a stock one that is a bit to do with the stance, I think it has been deliberately designed with a huge imposing and high bonnet for the 'gangsta' look which makes the bum appear low.

I wheeled mine and also towed 2700kg of boat around heaps before I changed the suspension and tyres. There is more than ample clearance in stock form to tackle your typical touring style high country tracks.
            As I said to look at it in isolation it looks low...... it's not, I think as far as stock typically availabile vehicles goes only the LR Disco 4 has more clearance when it's air suspension is at max height and only by 10mm or so.

Fuel use when towing in my experience I could consistently return within 10% of a colleagues 200series diesel towing almost identical boats. And highway use can get embarrassingly close to the 200series

The newer series 3 models have a revised engine with VVT on the exhaust. My series one model has the VVEL on the inlet side only which is pretty cool tech in itself. But he economy the series 3 owners are reporting are almost lineball with a 200sereis diesel.
            Considering it's bigger and on 33inch rubber in stock configuration it's fuel use is fair.
            It's not a meiser but it's really not as bad as the uninformed would have you believe.
            Thanks for the info beng! Good to see some decent 2nd row room coz the Paj is shocking for adults. So to is the old Y61 Patrol imo.

Wanted to ask do you use the cargo well? Looks alot bigger than the Pajeros & these things are a god send, I have mine cramped with essentials that only need to be accessed every so often.

Comment

• beng
              • Jul 2015
              • Nsw

Cargo well??

In the Pajero if you remove the 3rd row seats there is the space in the floor that is good for storage?
              If that's what you mean then the Y62 doesn't have an equivalent space.
              There is a small well where the jack, wheelbracw etc is stored, I also keep a small toolkit and some shackles and other similar items in there.

Some owners have utilised that rear jack location to install 100ahr worth of AGM batteries along with a DC/DC charger. An ARB twin cylinder compressor can be installed behind the internal left rear 1/4 panel of the cargo area.

Like most big empty wagons the best way to utilise the space is with a set of drawers of course, because I camp almost always with my camper I haven't put drawers in mine.

With the sloping rear floor if you remove the headrests from the 3rd row seats before you fold them flat the floor flattens out a lot more (basically flat).

For me when I purchased mine I predominantly wanted something that could tow my wakeboard boat up steep mountains with consumate ease and could not justify the almost $90g Toyota wanted me to hand over for a GXL lancruiser which felt much like an oversized corolla on the inside.

Since owning it I have discovered that not only is it an extremely capable and comfortable tow vehicle that it is also very very capable off-road (previous 4x4 was a 4.8 Patrol with lift and big tyres)

No engine mods at all are required, no need to chip it, block EGR, bypass DPF, install torque converter lockups or fit complete exhaust systems to get acceptable performance. It's truly turn key IMO.

I added a 3 inch straight thru sports muffler in place of the factory one purely to hear the nice V8 beat at a whopping cost of 300bucks.
              If 300kw isn't enough for you a CAPA supercharger kit will set you back about 12g.

Comment

• Bru9
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2014
                • Victoria

Cargo well??

In the Pajero if you remove the 3rd row seats there is the space in the floor that is good for storage?
                If that's what you mean then the Y62 doesn't have an equivalent space.
                There is a small well where the jack, wheelbracw etc is stored, I also keep a small toolkit and some shackles and other similar items in there.

Some owners have utilised that rear jack location to install 100ahr worth of AGM batteries along with a DC/DC charger. An ARB twin cylinder compressor can be installed behind the internal left rear 1/4 panel of the cargo area.

Like most big empty wagons the best way to utilise the space is with a set of drawers of course, because I camp almost always with my camper I haven't put drawers in mine.

With the sloping rear floor if you remove the headrests from the 3rd row seats before you fold them flat the floor flattens out a lot more (basically flat).

For me when I purchased mine I predominantly wanted something that could tow my wakeboard boat up steep mountains with consumate ease and could not justify the almost $90g Toyota wanted me to hand over for a GXL lancruiser which felt much like an oversized corolla on the inside.

Since owning it I have discovered that not only is it an extremely capable and comfortable tow vehicle that it is also very very capable off-road (previous 4x4 was a 4.8 Patrol with lift and big tyres)

No engine mods at all are required, no need to chip it, block EGR, bypass DPF, install torque converter lockups or fit complete exhaust systems to get acceptable performance. It's truly turn key IMO.

I added a 3 inch straight thru sports muffler in place of the factory one purely to hear the nice V8 beat at a whopping cost of 300bucks.
                If 300kw isn't enough for you a CAPA supercharger kit will set you back about 12g.
                I agree with alot, much of the cost of a LC is just tax & a name, but I would take the LC200 TTD for remote outback activities harsh offroading, ive read too many stories about petrol's economy being shocking at times aswell my Paj has done this a few times. Plus the LC just looks tougher like the old 100series, but the Patrol looks to be a completely new thing for the urban petrol heads.

Also with a chip on the V8 diesel gives it what can only be described as insane gains at a much cheaper cost than a supercharger. I think the LC200 finally has sufficient power for a diesel. But for mostly black top driving in smaller distances the patrol is vastly a better option imo.

I would assume that thing stock towing a 1ton trailer would overtake my Paj empty up a steep grade 90km/h. 300kw is crazy.

As great as the LC & Patrol wagons are, I have now converted to utes. no amount of anything they offer can come close to an aftermarket tray with the colossal space & payload eliminating the need for a trailer entirely.

Comment

• beng
                  • Jul 2015
                  • Nsw

The V8 TTD would have to have a lot of money thrown at it to get close to the stock output of the Y62, the point is without spending a dime on the engine or the gearbox it easily outperforms chipped 200series. Spend 12g and no 200series can ever touch it for performance!!

For 65k you can buy a new TI patrol, add a 12k supercharger, 4K for 35inch wheels/tyres, 3k for bullbar, 1500 for suspension and you have spent about what Toyota want for a new POV pack GXL off the showroom floor! And that's for a model that should be compared to the VX for the fruit it offers!!

As for fuel use in remote touring, a group of Y62 owners did the Simmo, Tanami and onto the Gibb recently. Fuel useage was not seen to blow out as the going got tough for the big V8's. They do not use anymore than 10 to 15% more juice than a cruiser of similar weight even when the going gets tough.
                  From memory they commented how fuel use was within 25% of an NP300 Navara that tagged along!!
                  One of the blokes did the Simpson easily with the stock tank, he had two jerrys on the roof as reserve.

The whole petrol is no good for touring is a complete myth, and with modern direct injection VVEL petrol engines their fuel use does not blow out when working hard. The don't suffer catastrophic and costly failures due to contaminated fuel.

I would have zero issues taking my Y62 remote touring at all, actually I would feel less worried about copping a bad dose of fuel than if I had to take a common rail diesel.

Comment

• Paj man
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2010
                    • Perth

I'm not sure you have it right here; a stock diesel 200 comes with 200kw and 650nm of torque, the patrol get's 298kw and 560nm of torque so the Toyota has already beaten it for torque (not to mention the diesel receives full torque at 1600rpm whereas the Nissan needs to wait until 4000rpm). Most 4wd performance is steered toward a good low down torque....

Furthermore, companies boast a chip on the 200 will increase power to 25% (roo systems say 40%) which gets it up there with a stock Patrol, I wouldn't consider a tune and exhaust that much money either. A chip on a cruiser seems to save fuel consumptions but I'm sure a supercharger (while hektik for power gains) would be costly for the patrol's economy.

The petrol vs diesel debate is as petty as most other debates going round, ultimately it all balls down to personal choice. I love my petrol Pajero but next car will be a diesel and hopefully a 200.
                    1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Now pending: Nothing

Comment

• beng
                      • Jul 2015
                      • Nsw

Originally posted by Paj man View Post
                      I'm not sure you have it right here; a stock diesel 200 comes with 200kw and 650nm of torque, the patrol get's 298kw and 560nm of torque so the Toyota has already beaten it for torque (not to mention the diesel receives full torque at 1600rpm whereas the Nissan needs to wait until 4000rpm). Most 4wd performance is steered toward a good low down torque....

Furthermore, companies boast a chip on the 200 will increase power to 25% (roo systems say 40%) which gets it up there with a stock Patrol, I wouldn't consider a tune and exhaust that much money either. A chip on a cruiser seems to save fuel consumptions but I'm sure a supercharger (while hektik for power gains) would be costly for the patrol's economy.

The petrol vs diesel debate is as petty as most other debates going round, ultimately it all balls down to personal choice. I love my petrol Pajero but next car will be a diesel and hopefully a 200.
                      Drive them back to back. I did several times actually!!

The cruiser feels very underwhelming to drive, particularly stock, anyone who thinks they go hard needs their head read!!
                      The fact they need chipping to make them go halfway decent after you have forked over near 90g already is rediculous!

Torque does not nexcesaroly equate to performance!! The petrol V8 is lush!! It's making a not inconsiderable 510nm from1600rpm but can hold that output and more until 6000rpm whereas the cruiser runs out of puff at 3600rpm, needs an up shift and transmits even less power to the road as it loses gearing advantage!

Don't fall for flywheel torque figures and try and equate them to how the vehicle will drive. Flywheel torque is multiplied by the drivetrain to output the final torque at the wheels, the gearing advantage of the petrol V8 is superior and at any road speed with any load in tow it will outperform the diesel. At 1900rpm the 500 odd NM will provide the same power to the road as the 650nm at 1600rpm. By 3500rpm the diesel has no advantage over the petrol and once it has to shift up is left behind.

Remember the cruiser has to run long gearing to utilise its larger torque figure, once the gearing is taken into account actual performance to the road is lower!!

So for towing duties sure you need to carry 200 to 400rpm more in the petrol to output the same power to the road (below 3000rpm), but in such a free spinning, smooth motor it is simply no issue, the drive is serenely relaxing and quiet at 2000 or 2250rpm which is the revs I typically use when towing 2700kg.
                      Anyway the old crap box Aisin 6speed in the 200sereis needs to be held back in 4th (2500rpm)if your towing anything properly heavy meaning your wasting all that good sub 1600rpm torque thanks to a torque converter that won't lock up in 5th and 6th with load on it!!
                      Sure you can buy a lock up kit, just throwing good money after bad IMO.

My old XR6 turbo 'only' made around 530nm of torque, about what a V6 Navara can make, but the tractability of that engine simply destroys the diesel in the Nav, torque is important to making power, but holding torque over a wide rpm range, which is what motors like the XR6 turbo and the Vk56 can do makes for a really satisfying drive.

I can poke along in the high gears using the available low down grunt and with the flip of the shifter access the 4000rpm and beyond power to safely overtake or accelerate up steep hills. Remember the V8 petrol sounds absolutely fantastic running at 4000rpm or above, something that cannot be said for a ratly old smoker!!

I don't think I could ever go back to an oiler!!

Comment

• Paj man
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • Perth

Drive them back to back. I did several times actually!!

The cruiser feels very underwhelming to drive, particularly stock, anyone who thinks they go hard needs their head read!!
                        The fact they need chipping to make them go halfway decent after you have forked over near 90g already is rediculous!

Torque does not nexcesaroly equate to performance!! The petrol V8 is lush!! It's making a not inconsiderable 510nm from1600rpm but can hold that output and more until 6000rpm whereas the cruiser runs out of puff at 3600rpm, needs an up shift and transmits even less power to the road as it loses gearing advantage!

Don't fall for flywheel torque figures and try and equate them to how the vehicle will drive. Flywheel torque is multiplied by the drivetrain to output the final torque at the wheels, the gearing advantage of the petrol V8 is superior and at any road speed with any load in tow it will outperform the diesel. At 1900rpm the 500 odd NM will provide the same power to the road as the 650nm at 1600rpm. By 3500rpm the diesel has no advantage over the petrol and once it has to shift up is left behind.

Remember the cruiser has to run long gearing to utilise its larger torque figure, once the gearing is taken into account actual performance to the road is lower!!

So for towing duties sure you need to carry 200 to 400rpm more in the petrol to output the same power to the road (below 3000rpm), but in such a free spinning, smooth motor it is simply no issue, the drive is serenely relaxing and quiet at 2000 or 2250rpm which is the revs I typically use when towing 2700kg.
                        Anyway the old crap box Aisin 6speed in the 200sereis needs to be held back in 4th (2500rpm)if your towing anything properly heavy meaning your wasting all that good sub 1600rpm torque thanks to a torque converter that won't lock up in 5th and 6th with load on it!!
                        Sure you can buy a lock up kit, just throwing good money after bad IMO.

My old XR6 turbo 'only' made around 530nm of torque, about what a V6 Navara can make, but the tractability of that engine simply destroys the diesel in the Nav, torque is important to making power, but holding torque over a wide rpm range, which is what motors like the XR6 turbo and the Vk56 can do makes for a really satisfying drive.

I can poke along in the high gears using the available low down grunt and with the flip of the shifter access the 4000rpm and beyond power to safely overtake or accelerate up steep hills. Remember the V8 petrol sounds absolutely fantastic running at 4000rpm or above, something that cannot be said for a ratly old smoker!!

I don't think I could ever go back to an oiler!!
                        Ok, so this just seems to be another rant.

Where'd you get $90k from? The Gx's are about $80k. I'm not sure where you got 'go hard' from either, all I said was that they don't seem as bad as what you say from stock and can be 'livened' up without too much money spent. The statements seem to be road performance based which is fine for people who are wanting a touring or tow vehicle, we might as well just throw an HSV or FPV into the mix then too.

For a 4wd I think the diesel and the Landcruiser is a better option. I think torque is directly related to off road performance, I need to rev over many things my brothers diesel will just idle over.
                        1997 NK - Quad cam goodness turning 33 Duratrac's and 4.9 diffs, 2inch lift, steel front/sides/rear, front locker and a winch

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2016
                          • Greater Sydney

Remember the V8 petrol sounds absolutely fantastic running at 4000rpm or above,

Never had our 3.2 diesel near 4,000RPM.

100Ks is under 2,000RPM.

Comment

• beng
                            • Jul 2015
                            • Nsw

Your comparing an old engine tech V6 Pajero to diesels for off-roading! It will have all the old attributes of needing to be revved and having poor low down torque. Those arguments don not apply to a large capacity engine with VVEL (do some research if you don't know hat VVEL is)

Have you spent the time that I have to test both, ( I had basically decided to buy a 200sereis until I tested the Nissan)I have also had the opportunity to drive and see 200sereis in action off road thanks to being in a 4x4 club, they are a very capable truck but cannot do anything more than the big petrol V8 can in low range conditions. The two engines really are a mute point for high country style touring which is what I like to do. Either does it very easy!!

I wheel my Y62 quite a lot as well as use it for towing duties and I have been through the process of cross shopping with a 200sereis which a few years ago when I was shopping the Toyota dealers wanted 88-90k for a GXL. (GX is mine spec)

The Y62 does not need to be revved over obstacles like you describe with your V6, it has no lack of torque in low range, trust me, it also has great engine braking which did surprise me coming from my old 4.8.

Infact if we are talking about torque right off idle and with small or short controlled applications of throttle than I would argue the NA V8 is better than the TD, (bigger capacity and a pretty high compression ratio makes for good off idle response) with a turbo you get that surging with on and off throttle inputs, with the NA you get what ever you dial up with your right foot, response is very linear to the right foot.
                            This is why the Y62 will feel jumpy in lowrange in 'normal' mode because the motor is quite toey right off idle.

In rock mode it dampens the throttle a little which gives great control over tricky obstacles. The cruisers off idle response is a little deadened naturally I have found thanks to the slight turbo surge ( I wouldnt call it laggy but an 'elastic' feel is what I am getting at') the cruiser thanks to that attribute doesn't have the jumpy feel.

Make no mistake, diesel is on its last gasps in passenger vehicles, petrol/hybird is the next stop gap until they figure out how to charge electric only 4x4's in the bush!!

Comment

• beng
                              • Jul 2015
                              • Nsw

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post
                              Remember the V8 petrol sounds absolutely fantastic running at 4000rpm or above,

Never had our 3.2 diesel near 4,000RPM.

100Ks is under 2,000RPM.
                              Because it would probably blow up!!
                              In all seriousness there is no point revving your 3.2 up there, it's got nothing left by then!!

Y62 cruises at 110kph at 1750rpm in 7th, will tow my 1500kg camper all day in 7th gear, I use 5th or 6th for towing 2700kg boat. But it will pull 7th on flat ground with the boat if I choose.
                              Last edited by beng; 23-03-17, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Paj man
                                Valued Member
                                • Mar 2010
                                • Perth

That's some fair points.

I have driven new petrols and diesels offroad as well and have found the trend continues but never have driven a v8, nor have I the 200 or y62.

Gx is the base model, mine's use the base model but I certainly wouldn't call the gx a mine spec car.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X