• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • talltim40
    • Dec 2014
    • NT

Any joy on figuring this one out?
    I have the same sound, starting to get more frequent. I'm starting to think its something to do with the brake system. Maybe a Hydraulic Brake Booster motor or accumulator?!
    Other posts on here seem to say its super expensive to fix as I cant buy parts, whole system only.
    Did you manage to solve this one?

I tried driving without braking and it didnt happen.
    Tried with aircon off but still there. I've changed my belts, maybe the bearings on the alternator air con or water pump?
    Argh!

Comment

• spot01
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2011
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by talltim40 View Post
      Any joy on figuring this one out?
      I have the same sound, starting to get more frequent. I'm starting to think its something to do with the brake system. Maybe a Hydraulic Brake Booster motor or accumulator?!
      Other posts on here seem to say its super expensive to fix as I cant buy parts, whole system only.
      Did you manage to solve this one?

I tried driving without braking and it didnt happen.
      Tried with aircon off but still there. I've changed my belts, maybe the bearings on the alternator air con or water pump?
      Argh!
      Which sound do you have?
      Is it only a short "chirp" when the car changes gears in the lower gears?
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Doowrag
        • Jun 2008
        • Gympie Qld

Mine has the short chirp at gears changes intermittently and also more of a squeal at random times, which ive always assumed was the aircon kicking in so ive never been too worried about it.

One interesting thing on mine though is when i go on a dirt road, it squeals quite a lot say 10 seconds or more but after a few kilometres on the bitumen it goes away.
        2011 NT GLX - Hankooks, 2in Kings/Oztec, SmartBra, XTM Spotties, Warn XD9000, UHF, AutoMate, Ultraguage, Flat Rack, Awning, RedArc Dual Battery System... LOOKING TO BUY FACTORY SIDE STEPS...

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Doowrag View Post
          Mine has the short chirp at gears changes intermittently and also more of a squeal at random times, which ive always assumed was the aircon kicking in so ive never been too worried about it.

One interesting thing on mine though is when i go on a dirt road, it squeals quite a lot say 10 seconds or more but after a few kilometres on the bitumen it goes away.
          I think you have 2 sounds:
          - the short chirp at lower gear changes is the variable geometry turbo (normal - nothing to worry about)
          - the random squeal that dust alters is probably a loose or worn belt
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• talltim40
            • Dec 2014
            • NT

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
            Which sound do you have?
            Is it only a short "chirp" when the car changes gears in the lower gears?

I've got a short screech, sounds like a belt, but they are brand new. Its almost completely random, but i think its something to do with the brake system. It sounds like its coming from right behind the dash, so the accumulator is a top suspect. I've read this forum and thinking maybe its just the motor full of dust?! anyone know if thats something easy to remove and clean?

I've been able to drive it with very limited and soft braking and it doesn't happen, but could also be something to do with the power steering as that seems a little soft as of late? any thoughts on that??

Driving me nuts! Dont really want to pay the $3k for the brake setup

Comment

• spot01
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2011
              • Adelaide

Simple things first:
              - was the noise the same before the belts were replaced?
              - if not, have the new belts been re-tensioned now they have settled in?
              - is the noise there when vehicle stationary (perhaps with revs above idle) or moving?
              - try pumping the brakes pedal 10 or more times whilst idling to see if the HBB pump starts making the noise
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• talltim40
                • Dec 2014
                • NT

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
                Simple things first:
                - was the noise the same before the belts were replaced?
                - if not, have the new belts been re-tensioned now they have settled in?
                - is the noise there when vehicle stationary (perhaps with revs above idle) or moving?
                - try pumping the brakes pedal 10 or more times whilst idling to see if the HBB pump starts making the noise

- Yes, but more frequent now
                - Yep
                - less so when stationary, but sometimes - very random and hard to replicate and irrespective of revs. Can only put it down to 'after braking heavily'. Have to test this theory a bit more.
                - Going to try this tomorrow, Ill get back to you.

Thanks for your help tho!!

Comment

• erad
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2015
                  • Cooma NSW

How worn are your brake pads? If they are worn down to their limit there is a squeal shim which rubs against the dis and makes a noise to alert you about worn pads. Possibly this is it?

Comment

• talltim40
                    • Dec 2014
                    • NT

Originally posted by erad View Post
                    How worn are your brake pads? If they are worn down to their limit there is a squeal shim which rubs against the dis and makes a noise to alert you about worn pads. Possibly this is it?

No they are near new. Its happening more and more frequently after braking. Have to do some tests and get someone to smash the brake while i listen under the hood....

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2014
                      • Wellington,New Zealand

i heard this today.I had my window down and it chirped BEFORE the gear change
                      2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                      BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• Mike DiD
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007

Here's a wrinkle I learnt from an NRMA serviceman.

Dribble some water on the belt while idling
                        - if the noise stops, it's the belt - if it doesn't affect it, it's the bearing.
                        Mike R. Sydney. Pajero GLS NX Silver Jan15. DiD Auto. STILL grossly disappointed with the errors in Speed Limits on major roads in my TomTom.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X