• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Downunder35m
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2011
    • Near Melbourne

Intercooler fan

I finally got a replacement for my stuffed fan and it spins nicely when connected directly to 12V but simply refused to work when installed.
    Found the temp sensor on the side of the intercooler but no power even if the engine is warm the fan should actually kick in.
    Or does it only work if the engine is actually working hard enough?
    Could not find a blown fuse either and don't want to wait for the summer to find out if something is still wrong.
    Should there be power to the temp sensor if the engine is running or is it switched by something?
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder
  • insaneearthling
    • Aug 2013
    • Melbourne

My intercooler fan only switches on on really hot summer days, so I wouldn't think yours was faulty. Then again, maybe mine is stuffed too.
    1995 NJ GLS 2.8TD LWB

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2012
      • Maitland, NSW

The switch will just be for a relay and should have power. I'd trace it back to the relay and inspect the relay and terminals.
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• Downunder35m
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2011
        • Near Melbourne

Was afraid you would say the switch has power
        Another thing on the list to examine if we finally get some good weather back.
        At the moment I don't care too much about additional cooling LOL
        Could be the relay burned out when the old motor shit itself and noone noticed.
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....

Comment

• bilgeboy
          Valued Member
          • May 2011
          • melbourne

X2 on the hot day suggestion, needs to be in the 30s and after a bit of start stop or towing etc.
          2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
          GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

• BBP
            • Oct 2007
            • Canberra

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
            I finally got a replacement for my stuffed fan and it spins nicely when connected directly to 12V but simply refused to work when installed.
            Found the temp sensor on the side of the intercooler but no power even if the engine is warm the fan should actually kick in.
            Could not find a blown fuse either and don't want to wait for the summer to find out if something is still wrong.
            Should there be power to the temp sensor if the engine is running or is it switched by something?
            I think if you short the temp sensor out the fan should come on. My sensor is faulty and the fan will turn on even when cold. Disconnected the sensor and it stops the fan. I was told once by Diesel joint that if I wanted better performance out the 4m40 in summer to run the fan all the time. Wasn't that desperate to risk wearing out the fan.

Rob

Comment

• Downunder35m
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2011
              • Near Melbourne

With no pwer on the sensor I don't think bridging it will help the fan.
              Weather permitting I will crawl through the electrics to find the fault or simply add a switch to turn the fan on when I need it.

Comment

• Ozirogue
                • Dec 2008

Fan Motor

Hey Buddy, where the hell did you get your intercooler fan from, have been looking all over the place and i cant locate one ??

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post

Comment

• Brrariror
                  • Jun 2017
                  • Los Angeles

I think if you short the temp sensor out the fan should come on.

sbobet

Comment

• Mcreight911
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Burnett, QLD

I made a new shroud and ran an 8" Davies Craig fan . Works much better, you can actually feel air being pulled through the scoop.
                    U can bridge the power switch if your temp sensor isn't working too
                    Egt's are lower in every driving situation and take longer to get hot . Cruising temps are around 50oc lower and peak temps 30oC lower . Feels stronger in the lower revs too.
                    I now run a front mount intercooler which is better again .
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Mcreight911; 12-06-17, 01:32 PM.
                    2.8 Mk triton, Vnt turbo , front mount intercooler, 2.75" exhaust ,ipf 70w hid spotties, 50w hid projector retro fitted headlights. 2 inch arb/sax lift . 2 inch body lift

Comment

• Ssteve
                      • Feb 2018
                      • Gold Coast

Front mount

Originally posted by Mcreight911 View Post
                      I made a new shroud and ran an 8" Davies Craig fan . Works much better, you can actually feel air being pulled through the scoop.
                      U can bridge the power switch if your temp sensor isn't working too
                      Egt's are lower in every driving situation and take longer to get hot . Cruising temps are around 50oc lower and peak temps 30oC lower . Feels stronger in the lower revs too.
                      I now run a front mount intercooler which is better again .
                      I was thinking of doing a front mount set up are you able to send some pics and which cooler you used?

Cheers

Comment

• Mcreight911
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Burnett, QLD

Front
                        Attached Files
                        2.8 Mk triton, Vnt turbo , front mount intercooler, 2.75" exhaust ,ipf 70w hid spotties, 50w hid projector retro fitted headlights. 2 inch arb/sax lift . 2 inch body lift

Comment

• Mcreight911
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Burnett, QLD

Engine bay
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Mcreight911
                            • Jun 2013
                            • South Burnett, QLD

Attached Files

Comment

• Mcreight911
                              • Jun 2013
                              • South Burnett, QLD

Was just a cheap eBay core that has some nice blended end tanks .

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X