Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 3 Pajero

Generation 3 Pajero NM - NP Models 2000 - 2006

Old 13-09-11

Default NP manual gearbox problem

Well i have just hit 200,000 and along with most others my diesel pajero is jumping out of firts gear.

I have been told $3000 for a second hand box my most wreckers

$4000 for a brand new one,

I rang around a few places and they say i will need a transfer case aswell is this correct? or are they just trying to rip me off one place quoted $8000 to replace the box and transfer i cant see why i would need a new transfer case for a car jumping out of first gear.
Old 13-09-11
Valued Member

Sorry to hear that Rotty....
Have you priced up having your box stripped and repaired? In my opinion $3K on a second hand box (that you won't know the history of) is a big gamble.
And no, you should not need a new transfer case also! Your problem lies in the gearbox, not the transfer.
Have you still got the Dual Mass flywheel in there? If so, at 200K, perhaps this would be a good time to have that replaced also....
Good luck! Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 13-09-11
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
Sorry to hear that Rotty....
Have you priced up having your box stripped and repaired? In my opinion $3K on a second hand box (that you won't know the history of) is a big gamble.
And no, you should not need a new transfer case also! Your problem lies in the gearbox, not the transfer.
Have you still got the Dual Mass flywheel in there? If so, at 200K, perhaps this would be a good time to have that replaced also....
Good luck! Dan.
Listen this man
Old 14-09-11

Is this another weak point of the NP Pajero, along with the top timing chain guide, dual mass flywheel and companion shaft?
Old 14-09-11

thanks for the info, Do i replace the dual mass fly wheel with the same or is there a better setup, i am managing to get a brand new box for $3800 i just have to fit it.
Old 14-09-11
Valued Member

That sounds like a much better option than going down the 2nd hand path...
Out of curiosity, where are you sourcing the new gearbox from? Is it a genuine Mitsubishi box or some sort of copy?
With the flywheel, lots of people choose to install a 'solid' flywheel, which will last for the life of the vehicle. It then becomes a simple and cheap clutch repair if the clutch ever needs fixing for a second time.
If and when mine ever lets go, I will be doing the solid flywheel conversion.
Do some googling on the differences between solid and dual mass flywheels, you will work it out. Plenty of info on the dreaded 'dual mass' here on this site also if you have a bit of a search.
Cheers, Dan.
2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!
Old 14-09-11

I think it is Single Mass Flywheel (SMF) not "Solid" Flywheel against Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) ;-)