• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justcruizin
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Brisbane

Prado SWB

A mate brought a new 3 door SWB Prado yesterday. Nice looking car except when he told me what he paid for it, I nearly fell over. $80K or just under. For a SWB!!! Admittedly, it has a genuine BB and he got rino roof racks as well. Apparently, he was told by the dealer he had to fit the genuine BB as he would void his warranty if he didn't. Not sure it that is a sales pitch or not, but with the amount of sensors on the front, fitting an aftermarket bar might not be an option anymore. Has cameras at the front, back, and sides.

A lot of money for a SWB, I would have spent it a bit more wisely and bought a flash Paj and tricked it right up for that sort of dollars.
    08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110
  • JoshF
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2008
    • Brisbane

and that is the stupidity of Toyota tax.

A poverty pack NS shorty was RRP $42K for Diesel and $52K for the X Spec

granted the Prado might be slightly more capable off road though I seriously doubt it, and the Prada has now been upgraded across the range with basics Pajero's have had for ages like traction control.

A Prado owner will tell you they hold a better re-sale value but when you look at the +25% cost of the vehicle you had better pray that remains the truth otherwise you have made a poor investment.

There is no way I could justify paying an extra $25,000 for a Pajero X with a few option installed (bar etc) against buying the "equivalent" Prado
    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Peakhurst, Sydney

Don't forget interest!

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
      and that is the stupidity of Toyota tax.

A poverty pack NS shorty was RRP $42K for Diesel and $52K for the X Spec

granted the Prado might be slightly more capable off road though I seriously doubt it, and the Prada has now been upgraded across the range with basics Pajero's have had for ages like traction control.

A Prado owner will tell you they hold a better re-sale value but when you look at the +25% cost of the vehicle you had better pray that remains the truth otherwise you have made a poor investment.

There is no way I could justify paying an extra $25,000 for a Pajero X with a few option installed (bar etc) against buying the "equivalent" Prado
      The interest on $25K if you had to borrow it , or any you didn't earn on it if you have the money, (or what would add extra the cost of leasing), would surely negate any gains made by a Playdo holding it's value!!!

Steve
      Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
      "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• geoff&vi
        Valued Member
        • Nov 2009
        • Brisbane

I really love it when a Toyota owner gives you the standard "i have better resale value" comment. That's probably true, however they just dont get it that they are paying for that "resale value" in the purchase price.

cheers
        Geoff
        GONE - 2010 VRX DiD Silver
        NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2010
          • Cairns

Exactly right Geoff!
          Obviously I bought my NP second hand last year.... I found that $30K would get you a nice clean NP DiD with less than 100K on the clock. Probably a few thou more for an Exceed.
          2003 / 2004 1KZ powered (inefficient and gutless when compared to the DiD) mid spec Prado's were still asking well over $30K and pretty much all of them were well past the 200K mark.
          And that's not even taking into account that to get the same sort of safety features as the poverty pack Pajero like mine (Traction control, ESP etc etc) you had to fork out for the top of the range Toyota!
          No thanks!
          Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Patagonia
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Here in Chile you can get a Prado LWB 4.0 AT (not luxury package) for the same price as the most basic Pajero SWB MT DID

Price for Prado SWB 2.7 Fully equipped US$40.000...price for DID SWB MT US$45.000

Conclusion...im looking for second hand DID, only way yo pay it
            2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
            Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
            31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
            2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• achjimmy
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2009
              • Blue Mtns

Yeah Mitsibishi have very little presence with any vechiles in Americas.

Only thing I wish the Pajero had that the Prados have is the interior build quality! I have more rattles now in 20k than I have had in all my toyotas I have ever owned add up.

I also have no confidence in Mitsubishi service people but that could change, took me a while with Toyota before I found a competent team. But I just get that feeling that Toyota have more service training for dealers in place?
              Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
              MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
              99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• apsilon
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2008
                • Hills District NSW

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
                granted the Prado might be slightly more capable off road though I seriously doubt it
                Given it has worse approach, departure and break over angles it's behind the 8 ball right from the word go.

Suprised he couldn't do better on price. Toyota Aust have apparently dropped the SWB from the line up and want to get rid of stock yet he apperas to have paid around RRP.
                MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• achjimmy
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • Blue Mtns

Originally posted by apsilon View Post
                  Given it has worse approach, departure and break over angles it's behind the 8 ball right from the word go.

Suprised he couldn't do better on price. Toyota Aust have apparently dropped the SWB from the line up and want to get rid of stock yet he apperas to have paid around RRP.
                  When they were running out the 120 series you could not get a deal on a 120 diesel anywhere, some deals on the petrol but the demand for the diesel saw that they did not have to discount. Maybe the shorty's like that?
                  Last edited by achjimmy; 20-05-11, 12:56 PM.
                  Travel safe

Jim

MY13 Landcrusier VX
                  MY10 Pajero Platnium with bits now sold to Spiderpig.
                  99 Rodeo TD dual cab.

Comment

• Phil
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2008
                    • Sydney

In my opinion the new SWB prado looks like it fell out of the new FJ cruiser tree and hit most of the branches on the way down.
                    MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• justcruizin
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2008
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by achjimmy View Post
                      When they were running out the 120 series you could not get a deal on a 120 diesel anywhere, some deals on the petrol but the demand for the diesel saw that they did not have to discount. Maybe the shorty's like that?
                      Yeah he took the only one avail at the time so the dealer didn't want to do any deals. Apparently there is a bit of a wait and probably longer now given what has happened in Japan.
                      08 NS 25th Anniversary Limited Edition DID Auto, MM TBar, TJM T13 Bar, Airtec Snorkel, Redarc Dual battery, ORU 12000lb rope winch, Bushskinz Full Bash Plate set, Uniden UHF, Narva 175 spots, HD(F) & SD(R) Lovells, Bilsteins, Dynapro ATs, Diff and trans breathers, Poly Airs, Ridge Rider Awning, Eagle Camper Trailer, Engel 40 lt, Waeco CF110

Comment

• Slydr
                        • Nov 2009
                        • Swan View, WA

only thing uglier than the 150 prado LWB is the SWB and my roids....coupled with toyota tax it's a strange choice. I have a piece of the moon for sale, what is his number?

Comment

• carl l
                          • Aug 2011
                          • US/UK

Even if they were priced the same, I'd take the SWB Pajero ahead of the SWB Prado and that's with brand bias. In fact, I did exactly that. They are priced very closely in the UK but my choice was easy.

The SWB 150 is still a good truck and I'm sure he won't de disappointed but it just doesn't sit right and I don't think it comes with KDSS either which is key on the Toyotas (but I may be wrong)
                          2011 NW SWB Auto 3.2TD, Black, UK (5,000 mlles)
                          2010 LC200 Auto 5.7L, White, US (23,000 miles)

Comment

• chilli
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by carl l View Post
                            The SWB 150 is still a good truck and I'm sure he won't de disappointed but it just doesn't sit right and I don't think it comes with KDSS either which is key on the Toyotas (but I may be wrong)
                            There are two models for the SWB, the SX and ZR. The SX being the poverty pack is not fitted with KDSS. The top of the line ZR gets the KDSS system plus rear diff lock as std.
                            Future: Triton Ute.

Now: Mazda MX5 NB8A
                            Past: Suzuki Grand Vitara

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X