• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajeromack
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2014
    • NSW

Originally posted by Pwoffey View Post
    I'm still a little confused by Robert Pepper's article on the Fortuna. He says you "must" use 2WD on bitumen. But for the Pajero, also a part-time 4WD system, he deprecates 2WD use on bitumen and relates a story of near disaster when a Paj was trying to avoid a collision on a wet road. The electronic stability control kicked in and actually slowed the Paj just when it needed to accelerate. see: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tem-explained/ . Which is pretty scary.

The upshot is he recommends always using 4WD (centre lock not engaged, obviously) on bitumen in the case of the Paj. But not in the Fortuna. The behaviour of the electronic wizardry of the Fortuna and the Paj must differ when in 2WD, although when he writes (about the Fortuna): "you can disable VSC and TRC at low speeds only with a single VSC button press, but they re-enable above about 50km/h" it sure sounds to me like the default settings (that is, electronic aids ON) invite the same potentially dangerous behaviour he wrote about with the Pajero .
    The Pajero is NOT a part time system. It is a full-time system which has a 2WD mode. Best of both worlds if you will.

The reason Robert Pepper advises different modes on bitumen is because Fortuner does not have a centre differential. If it was left in 4WD on road it would get diff wind up and the transfer case would explode or fail. Just like the Patrol, 70 series etc.
    The Pajero has a centre differential and can be used in 4WD on bitumen. Just like the Prado, LC200, Challenger etc.

To complicate matters further, the Pajero and Challenger can also be put into 2WD mode. However if you do this you may get wheel spin from the grunty diesel engine. This will kick in an overzealous ESC mode which cuts power and leaves you floundering. Hence he leaves it in 4WD.

Comment

• Vix2010
      • Jan 2015
      • Wamboin NSW

was reading about that the Pajero super select should delete the 2wd and always have it in 4WD, I always have my paj in 2wd and switch it to 4WD when it is needed, like in the rain.

But my main question is do you go through Tyers more if you are in 4WD all the time?
      NT GLS DiD auto, ARB Bar,22" Cree Light Bar, Oricom UHF, Hankook Dynapro MT 265/70r17, CSA Granite Rims, Dobinsons 2" Lift, Safari Snorkle,Custom 3" exhaust, Thule roof racks,Kings awning,roof cage

Love The Paj 👍👍
      (Everything happens for a reason)

Comment

• Amok
        • Dec 2016
        • Sydney

Originally posted by Vix2010 View Post
        was reading about that the Pajero super select should delete the 2wd and always have it in 4WD, I always have my paj in 2wd and switch it to 4WD when it is needed, like in the rain.

But my main question is do you go through Tyers more if you are in 4WD all the time?
        Same. Coming from owning a few high powered cars, I really don't think the Pajero needs anything more than 2wd on dry roads. 4w4 is good on greasy wet roads
        MY17 NX GLX with too much cash blown on it

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X