• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajflareo
    • Feb 2013
    • Syd

Originally posted by Onsan View Post
    Maybe your interpretation. I said 100oC in the context that wet metal will not get much hotter than 100oC before water has evaporated, it's just thermodynamics, liquid water can't get above 100oC at atmospheric pressure, so if it is present on the metal, the metal temp will not get much hotter than 100oC. My point was to provide reasoning to reassure.

I accept there's quite a few definitions of quenching, "the rapid cooling of heated metal with water" is what I had in mind, relevant to the context of the discussion, I did not think someone would take it as the specific application of heat treatment and submersion in water, my bad.
    700mm is wheel height on most, which when a vehicle is driving through water would be not much more than sump height. It would expose diff seals to water ingress and I would guess that and other valid reasons is why MM put a warning in the owners manual stating

Sure, it can go 700mm or deeper even, no one argues that, but just because it can, doesn't mean you should or if you do, that there won't be the chance of an undesirable affect.

I'm erring on the side of caution by suggesting the least chance of a undesirable effect on someone else's pride and joy is to wash it when cool, forgive my wording if that point was lost.
    IIRC the Toyota 79 series manual states that before a water crossing the car should left to idle for 15 minutes to cool the Turbo down.

Comment

• rotare
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2007

As an FYI if you read the instructions on the back of the can or bottle for some of these degreasers, they'll likely suggest the degreaser will work more effectively if applied to a warm engine.

The description of what is a 'warm' engine is obviously open to interpretation....
      2013 NW VRX

Comment

• carnut1100
        • Jun 2019
        • brisbane

I like to have the engine running, but not hot...either start it before washing in the driveway, or start it, drive a few blocks down the road to the car wash then go for it.

Comment

• LoraMoser
          • Feb 2020
          • USA

I rest my case.

A regular wipe with a rag will likely keep things in order. Those 3.8 motors are not in the habit of spewing oil out of every gasket and seal.

If more than a rag-wipe is required. Big thing is to rather do it yourself to make sure you direct the spray at the non-vulnerable parts.

Now those cars that originated on the mud banks in the North Sea is a different story. They all leak oil AND their bonnets are open most of the time. One would be well advised to keep those motors clean or everybody will be able to see when it is dirty.
          Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X