• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Well, had the 200K service done. Oil leak was from the rocker cover gaskets, both sides. All good now.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• markc
      • Oct 2007
      • Brisbane Sth East

Must be the time to sort these things out

I just did my timing belt 15,000 klm early at 185,000K as i thought this might be where my leak was coming from. I was right as it was from the drivers side cam seal all good now and put in a new water pump as well to be sure all should be fine till 300k I hope.

Took about 6 hrs all up

:-)

Comment

• mrbitchi
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Brisbane

Spoke too soon. Bloody thing still leaks but not as bad. Will do the rear cam seals on the weekend and see if that helps. The drivers side one does look a bit wet.
        Cheers, John.
        LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
        Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Jethrow
          • Sep 2009
          • Perth, WA

Hi mrbitchi. Did the cam seals help? Thx
          2001 NM GLS auto in Silver
          2004 VY2 HSV Clubsport

Comment

• mrbitchi
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Brisbane

The saga continues. Replaced the rear cam shaft 'O' ring and that slowed it down somewhat, but didn't stop it completely.
            Had a chat to Richard from Motorcare and he basically said it has to be the from the front cam shaft oil seals, as per MTN-kat's post ealier in this thread. I undid the plastic timing belt cover yesterday and had a look and sure enough it's wet under there. Should be bone dry. Bummer of a job as it's basically a full timing belt replacement procedure just to get to the seals

Will talk to Scott tommorrow (Carb & Gas, who did the service) and see what we can do.

He also mentioned that the idea of oil comming through the exhaust manifold studs is laughable, and indeed impossible. Any "mechanic" who suggest this should be given a wide berth...
            Last edited by mrbitchi; 05-09-10, 09:53 AM. Reason: Extra info
            Cheers, John.
            LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

• simoncurly
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide SA

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
              Sounds like BS to me. Never heard of a stud going through an oil gallery without some sort of seal, 'O' ring or similar. No engineer in their right mind would rely on thread sealant to do that sort of job.
              Ditto .... the head studs were always blind holes on 3.5l locally made heads

Comment

• Tin Man
                • Sep 2009
                • Brisbane

Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
                ...and down over the alternator. Obviously unhealthy for alternator or I would have left it alone. ..
                Unhealthy indeed - it killed mine. I'm still trying to work out where my leak is coming from, but I suspect rocker cover gaskets. For now I'm trialling the Wynn's stop leak before I spend a million. I'm still 40 000k's away from a timing belt replacement, and if the problem means the same work as a belt replacement....
                1998 NL Pajero GLS, Petrol, Auto, LSD, bog standard (for now), 265/70R16 Maxxis Bravo 751 A/T, Outback Ideas Bush Hook - 10,000lbs

Comment

• mrbitchi
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Brisbane

Well I think we've finally got it sorted. This time it was the front cam seals. When it was stripped down for the belt the seals looked fine. No sign of leakage so they left them alone. Wrong move... Seems the extra bit of tension from the new belt was enough to upset them.
                  Stripped it down again and sure enough, oil everywhere. So in with a new set of cam seals and a crakshaft seal while they're at it. The old seals were hard when removed..

Finally I have a (nearly) dry engine. Still need to do the passenger cam O ring. It's a bitch to get to..

So in summary, I originally had a leaking rocker cover gasket and leaking rear cam O rings. Putting the new belt on caused the front cam seals to leak.

Moral of the saga... When you replace the timimg belt, do the bloody seals while you're in there
                  Cheers, John.
                  LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Peakhurst, Sydney

New belt as well as seals?

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                    Well I think we've finally got it sorted. This time it was the front cam seals. When it was stripped down for the belt the seals looked fine. No sign of leakage so they left them alone. Wrong move... Seems the extra bit of tension from the new belt was enough to upset them.
                    Stripped it down again and sure enough, oil everywhere. So in with a new set of cam seals and a crakshaft seal while they're at it. The old seals were hard when removed..

Finally I have a (nearly) dry engine. Still need to do the passenger cam O ring. It's a bitch to get to..

So in summary, I originally had a leaking rocker cover gasket and leaking rear cam O rings. Putting the new belt on caused the front cam seals to leak.

Moral of the saga... When you replace the timimg belt, do the bloody seals while you're in there
                    When you replaced the cam-seals did you fit a new timing-belt as well after its oily shower?

One thing I like about the earlier 3.0L V6 is the position of the alternator being up top!

Cheers
                    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• mrbitchi
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Brisbane

Nah, the belt was dry so re-used it (fingers crossed). Just got to hope that the oil on the alternator doesn'tcause any problems.
                      Cheers, John.
                      LC200 V8 goodness

Comment

• Alex86
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Here and there

Oops wrong thread... I thought I found this in Gen2.... have moved my post...
                        Last edited by Alex86; 05-11-19, 10:49 AM.
                        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X