Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Debate: NT V's Challenger, Are they that close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty V
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Cranbourne, Vic

Debate: NT V's Challenger, Are they that close?

I know this is the NT section but...

If I had to choose between a GLX/GLS Pajero and an XLS Challenger then I think I would keep the change and buy the Challenger. Yes it'd be a close run decision...Much higher spec level than the Pajero and too me it's more sporty to look at and drive...XLS has leather, MMCS, Xenon's etc...

It must be stated that if my intention was serious long term towing, grey nomad style (2-2.5t) then that could change but as soon as we get one registered and a tow bar fiited I'll know...The Pajero is fine for this, we all know that...Just havent had the chance to tow a heavy load with either the new Triton or the Challenger yet...Capacity is 2500kg which is top level for a vehicle like this...

I dont believe that there will be any disadvantage off road either...Remember Challenger has "super select", "Active traction control" and "Diff lock" as standard...Even the approach and departure angles look better...not sure about the ramp over...

In Vic a Triton GLX-R auto retails for $54,919 drive away (pre: negotiation and abn discounts) and the new Challenger LS which is almost identical in spec is $50,894...Sound like a good buy to me...

What I love most about all this is that Mitsubishi know have 2 great 4WD's to choose from...and which people prefer between the two of them I'm sure will come up for debate...

Looking just at retail pricing, without On Road Costs, in Automatic form:

Challenger

LS 7 seater $48,890

XLS 7 seater $58,890

Pajero

GLX 7 seater $57,290

GLS 7 seater $62,090

I know it's harder to have an opinion when you havent seen at least one of the cars properly but...first impressions are good too...

Attached is some basic info...

Marty V
    Knox Mits
    0438 699 118
    Attached Files
  • matthewfnorbert
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007

hi marty

the pajero is a known great on road performer for comfort and handling, is the challenger still a ladder chassis and therefore has the associated on road performance? If so then they are still two very different trucks
    SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Marty V
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • Cranbourne, Vic

Yeah its still a ladder chassis...

It drives really well on the road...tight body control and a compareable ride...Hangs on well through the corners...

Ladder v Monocoque...mmmm

It's not that obvious...Like it used to be...Ladder framed vehicles always felt like a truck but this feels more monocoque SUV...Which is nice...

Each construction has its strengths and weeknesses...Cant say that the Challenger suffers on road at all...I thought it felt a bit more nimble but then again it is a little smaller...although side by side no where near as much as you would think...in fact i think the Challenger looks taller...its very close...

Comment

• Richo-NT
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Brisbane

Depends what your gonna use it for. My first impression is that the challenger is probably a bit more rugged, live rear axle, ladder chassis and its ute origins means its probably a bit more rough and ready, but if your after more of a road car or a tow vehicle then i think the Pajero will be the nicer ride.

Depends 100% on its intended use I think.
        2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• entropy
          • May 2009
          • NSW Lake Macquarie

The Challenger looks like a nice little beastie, and is well placed to access the market between the AWD SUV's that lack low range capability and the larger full on 4WD such as Pajero. It also offers more creature comforts than a 4WD ute, which adds further market appeal.

I wish it all the best.
          Current ride
          Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE with factory diff lock.

Gone but not forgotten
          NT SWB X DiD in Cool Silver

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

The Challenger really was intended to be more offroad biased. A few small mods and it will be a good choice for those who venture onto the rough stuff more often. Not taking anything away from the Pajero I believe the Challenger will be that bit more capable offroad.
            Pajero makes an excellent tourer and tow vehicle.
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

hey dave, the SHORTY beats them all! long live the shorty
              SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Pickle
                Administrator
                • Jun 2007
                • All over Oz

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post

Yep....spot on.
                Dave
                NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• JoshF
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by matthewfnorbert View Post
                  and the truth be told, the legend lives on
                  NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                  Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Moth
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Gold Coast

Interesting that the fuel consumption figures for the auto are higher than the Pajero. I assume the 2.5 works a bit harder in a vehicle only a couple of hundred kilos lighter?
                    MY09 NT Pajero VRX DiD Auto, Gunmetal, Smart Bar, TJM XGS 50mm lift, Icom IC-400Pro, Onroad OEM 18" Alloys with OEM Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 265/60 R18, Offroad OEM 17" Steels with Mickey Thompson MTZ 265/70 R17

Comment

• David Anderson
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Albury

I really like the look of the new challenger - they're onto a winner there.

Not sure I'll be trading in the NT until I know if you can get taxi wheels for the Challenger or not..

A 4x4 without taxi wheels is just plain soft if you ask me..
                      09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

• Richo-NT
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Brisbane

While I envy that little bit of extra 4WD ability the challenger will have over the NT thanks to the live rear axle, at the same time I'm not crying into my beer because their are a number of areas the NT is a little bit better as well, on balance they are both great cars and there probably isn't a lot between them
                        2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• rdog
                          • Aug 2008
                          • mt crosby qld

challenger rear axle?

Looking on the MMA web site it looks like it has a independent rear suspension or am i wrong? not a live axle.
                          Does it have a space saver spare ? or a full size one ?
                          NT GL DID auto, king springs,Bilstein front shocks, duel battery system, Mitsubishi
                          steel bar, rhino rack roof rack insert,side steps, milford cargo barrier
                          Gme 3200 Uhf ,Bridgestone D694 LT tires
                          with 2 spares.
                          removed the dpf. 2.5 inch Mandrell bent exhaust with
                          high flow cat converter.

Comment

• Dazza.
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • Northern Territory

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
                            While I envy that little bit of extra 4WD ability the challenger will have over the NT thanks to the live rear axle,
                            For the most part I'd say you wouldn't really notice any difference, except in really extreme circumstances. The fact that T/C is in the Pajero (wouldn't have a clue about the Challenger) would compensate for the independent suspension.

For the most part independent suspension would be better on road and off - more comfortable, handles better etc. Only becomes an issue in the really really severe stuff which most of us only do for a bit of fun occasionally, and then the T/C usually compensates.
                            COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X