• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Upgrade NX head unit

After searching through a few threads on here and also doing likewise on Google, I'm still unsure if I understand what's available with regard to a new head unit on my NX.

Mine is 2015 GLS with rear vision camera using the head unit with basic display and no Android auto or car play etc.

The question I have is this...is there a good after market replacement option which will be just plug and play with access to the existing rear vision camera ? Or does MM have one I can enquire about ?

I'm not even sure if it's worthwhile changing but since I've spent so much on the car now and I'm happy with it, I'd like to keep it for a while longer and the old style display is the only thing I'd consider changing. (If it's easy to do that is).
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
    After searching through a few threads on here and also doing likewise on Google, I'm still unsure if I understand what's available with regard to a new head unit on my NX.

Mine is 2015 GLS with rear vision camera using the head unit with basic display and no Android auto or car play etc.

The question I have is this...is there a good after market replacement option which will be just plug and play with access to the existing rear vision camera ? Or does MM have one I can enquire about ?

I'm not even sure if it's worthwhile changing but since I've spent so much on the car now and I'm happy with it, I'd like to keep it for a while longer and the old style display is the only thing I'd consider changing. (If it's easy to do that is).
    Plug and play? maybe if you can be bothered researching and paying the $$$ for basically a bunch of wires.
    I spent a long time researching and fitted a Pioneer double-DIN unit with Android Auto and CarPlay.

I do have an electronics background so did it all myself, but depending on how confident you feel any car audio place would also be a great place to start.

The basics are easy - speakers x 4, constant power, aux power, dimmer wire and antenna in and antenna power (for the factory booster)

Steering wheel controls are 2 wires. Pioneer unit 'learns' the button presses so no adaptor required.

I mounted a new mic that came with the unit in the roof console. (for hands-free)
    Reversing camera, I kept all the stock bits (my factory reversing screen was in rear view mirror and it still works as well as the new head unit display)
    I just tapped into the reverse trigger wire and the video feed from the stock camera and connected that to the new unit.

The Russian site for Pajero wiring diagrams is your friend!

Oh you'll need one of these too

2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X