• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian Wilkinson
    • Mar 2016
    • Brisbane

Dash switch for extra lights

I have a 2012 Exceed. To the right of the steering wheel is what appears to be a switch to activate spot lights. Right next to it is a the switch the activates the fog lights. The fog lights work perfectly. There are no spot lights connected to the vehicle, so nothing happens when I press the "spot light" button.

Given this spot light switch is factory fitted, does anyone know if the wiring to connect to a set of spot lights is generally factory fitted also ? If it is, can anyone help me find the wires I'd need to access to connect to a set of spot lights or LED bar please ??

Thanks
  • geopaj
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Adelaide

Your not thinking of the rear fog light switch are you?

You could also add one of the aftermarket switches that replicate the original switches and fit intoone of the spare switch blanks in the dash. such as this-
    Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Ian Wilkinson
      • Mar 2016
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
      Your not thinking of the rear fog light switch are you?
      Ha, maybe, I had no idea it had those. Repurposing that switch and using it for spot lights would be perfect

Comment

• NFT5
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Canberra

Originally posted by Ian Wilkinson View Post
        Ha, maybe, I had no idea it had those. Repurposing that switch and using it for spot lights would be perfect

There are a few things you need to consider first.

Firstly, if your vehicle has a rear fog light then you must be able to turn it on and off in order to pass a roadworthy inspection. "Re-purposing" that switch will mean that, unless the switch is replaced elsewhere, you won't pass.

Secondly, the switches are momentary, i.e. push once for "on", push again for "off". This is because all they do is send a signal to a computer module which then does the actual switching. It also resets all switches to "off" when the ignition is turned off.

Making connections to the factory fog light switch can be difficult since it doesn't use the usual type of connectors.

Having said all that, re-purposing the switch is possible but you'd need to make a control unit with some electronic components and latching relays. These are available pre-built, but need some wiring in.

It would be much simpler and easier to just install a separate switch for your driving lights. The question then, is where? Since you have an Exceed there won't be many switch blanks, if any, left on your dash that you can use for one of the switches like that linked by geopaj. This may mean making a switch panel. Lots of examples can be found with a search.

Alternately, and what I've done, is replace the indicator stalk with one from a Triton that has a fog light switch built in. Again this requires some wiring and a latching relay control unit, but is neat, tidy and, having the switch with other lighting controls, logical.
        Chris

Comment

• geopaj
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
          There are a few things you need to consider first.

Firstly, if your vehicle has a rear fog light then you must be able to turn it on and off in order to pass a roadworthy inspection. "Re-purposing" that switch will mean that, unless the switch is replaced elsewhere, you won't pass.

Secondly, the switches are momentary, i.e. push once for "on", push again for "off". This is because all they do is send a signal to a computer module which then does the actual switching. It also resets all switches to "off" when the ignition is turned off.

Making connections to the factory fog light switch can be difficult since it doesn't use the usual type of connectors.

Having said all that, re-purposing the switch is possible but you'd need to make a control unit with some electronic components and latching relays. These are available pre-built, but need some wiring in.

It would be much simpler and easier to just install a separate switch for your driving lights. The question then, is where? Since you have an Exceed there won't be many switch blanks, if any, left on your dash that you can use for one of the switches like that linked by geopaj. This may mean making a switch panel. Lots of examples can be found with a search.

Alternately, and what I've done, is replace the indicator stalk with one from a Triton that has a fog light switch built in. Again this requires some wiring and a latching relay control unit, but is neat, tidy and, having the switch with other lighting controls, logical.
          I run LED daylight running lights instead of front fog lights so have modified the wiring so the front fog light operates my spot lights (don’t forget you also need to make it only activate with high beam).

It is definitely possible but is a bit complicated... you don’t need complicated latching circuits as the car already converts the momentary switch to latching- I achieved it with a couple of relays (1 relay connected to high beam to allow power to be provided when high beam is activated, and a 2nd high current relay so the full spotlight power is not running through your switch and loom).

I’ve also modified the rear fog light switch so that it now operates my rear LED Work light.

The added bonus (if you can sort the wiring) is the factory light indicators on the dash still work and the symbols for front/rear lights is still accurate to their role.

I can’t comment on the roadworthy side of things for Queensland - all I know is it’s not an issue is SA to delete the rear fog light.
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X