• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baki bakic
    • Oct 2019
    • Deer park

At vs ht tires

Atm running all terrain tires.condsidering to buy 4 new ht tires because of my 99% city driving and 1% camping and light off roading.except low or no noise with ht tires how lesser consumption i can expect with ht tires? Atm 20l per 100,lpg.car is 2002 model np exceed ,no modifications.tnx
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

If you are lucky, you may see a reduction in fuel usage. The exact amount is difficult to say - I reckon 5% at most. The type of driving you do (traffic, stop/start etc) has more influence on fuel consumption. Most of my driving is highway, but I use A/T tyres for peace of mind when I am on back tracks somewhere. The last thing I want is a puncture whilst going up or down a fire trail somewhere.

Comment

• bobthekelpy
      • Apr 2019
      • Melbourne

Can't offer any advice, but am watching with interest.

My NT has Hankook ATM LT's on at the moment. Most of our use is day to day driving, with towing a small van 1/2 dozen times a year and otherwise just occasional gravel roads. No serious 4x4ing. When these are worn, I've been thinking the same thing; switching to a HT tyre instead of LT to try and get better fuel economy, less road noise etc.
      2010 NT GLS

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Not are AT tyres are the same.

There are Passenger construction tyres with AT tread patterns and these will use marginally more fuel because of the increased rolling friction caused by the more aggressive tread pattern.

Then there are Light Truck construction tyres which are much heavier in weight, and it is this increase in weight (rolling mass) that consumes significant extra fuel combine this with aggressive tread pattern and you get a double hit on the fuel consumption. Go up a profile in sidewall and or increase the tyre width and you get a further increase in fuel consumption. You will notice the most difference in stop start traffic, if you run over size diameter and over width mud tyres you could easily increase fuel consumption by 30% in stop start city driving.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Further to OJ's comments above, if you look at the details on the sidewalls, you will see the number f plies in the tyre construction. the heavier A/T tyres normally have 3 plies in the sidewalls. This makes the sidewalls stiffer and thus they will cause a higher fuel consumption. The heavier tyres also are stiffer - poorer ride quality.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by erad View Post
            Further to OJ's comments above, if you look at the details on the sidewalls, you will see the number f plies in the tyre construction. the heavier A/T tyres normally have 3 plies in the sidewalls. This makes the sidewalls stiffer and thus they will cause a higher fuel consumption. The heavier tyres also are stiffer - poorer ride quality.
            The load index is the easiest way to get an indication of the weight of the tyre.
            As a guide for tyre that suits mid size 4wds with 16", 17" and 18" tyres the load ranges are;
            108 to 112 are passenger construction.
            113 to 115 are passenger construction extra load.
            116 to 118 are Light Truck 8 ply.
            119 and greater are Light Truck 10 ply.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Baki bakic
              • Oct 2019
              • Deer park

2 steel ,2 poluester,1 nylon=tread plies 2 polyester/sideway plies, lt 265 70 16,

Comment

• dean
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Baki bakic View Post
                2 steel ,2 poluester,1 nylon=tread plies 2 polyester/sideway plies, lt 265 70 16,
                Index load ?....3 numbers between 112 and about 120. It will have a letter after it indicating max. speed.
                Whatever, based on your requirements I wouldn't stress, any tyre sold in Australia in any "reptuable" tyre shop will do.
                For best performance stick with your current size, 265/70/16
                Dean
                NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

Load Index number is after the 265/70-17 on the tyre sidewall.

OJ.

Comment

• Baki bakic
                    • Oct 2019
                    • Deer park

117/114 r

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

117/114 r
                      117/114 are 8 ply rated light truck construction, the 117 is a single wheel load rating and the 114 is for a dual wheel fitment. Tyre's are down rated when fitted in dual wheel applications because the tyre's run very close to each other and they do not disappated heat as quickly.

Certainly changing from 8ply rated light truck construction AT tyre to a HT tread pattern passenger construction tyre will result is some fuel saving, a quieter and more comfortable ride. But you will lose off road traction and durability.

OJ.

Comment

• Baki bakic
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Deer park

Tnx

Comment

• xhadyboy
                          • Nov 2016
                          • Macedon Rnges

I have a NL Escape it still had the 15 inch OEM rims fitted with Cooper 265 x 75 15 A/T3 tyres, kms unknown.
                          My NL was a pig to drive with this comb given it still has a 235 70 15 as a spare which looks like a better fit, it just wandered all over the road.I always thought the tyres were too big for the rims.
                          So i found some 16 inch NL Exceed rims and on Saturday i got the 265 x 16 70 697s 117 from Bob Jane @$235 ea with $100 cash back, $840
                          Talk about chalk and cheese on the Bitumen its a different car.I got these as mainly a Hwy/fire trail tyre to tow my Jayco Outback around with.I do intend to go off grid with the camper but not as extreme as having to put the Paj into Low range with the Jayco in tow.
                          My property backs onto the Wombat Forest in the Macedon Ranges.
                          So i will be in the market for a set of aggressive Mud Terrains in the next couple of months to go low ranging with just the Paj.Not sure if to use the 15 inch Escape rims or get some steel rims.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by xhadyboy View Post
                            I have a NL Escape it still had the 15 inch OEM rims fitted with Cooper 265 x 75 15 A/T3 tyres, kms unknown.
                            My NL was a pig to drive with this comb given it still has a 235 70 15 as a spare which looks like a better fit, it just wandered all over the road.I always thought the tyres were too big for the rims.
                            So i found some 16 inch NL Exceed rims and on Saturday i got the 265 x 16 70 697s 117 from Bob Jane @$235 ea with $100 cash back, $840
                            Talk about chalk and cheese on the Bitumen its a different car.I got these as mainly a Hwy/fire trail tyre to tow my Jayco Outback around with.I do intend to go off grid with the camper but not as extreme as having to put the Paj into Low range with the Jayco in tow.
                            My property backs onto the Wombat Forest in the Macedon Ranges.
                            So i will be in the market for a set of aggressive Mud Terrains in the next couple of months to go low ranging with just the Paj.Not sure if to use the 15 inch Escape rims or get some steel rims.
                            I think you have a few of the specifications mixed up .

1. 265/75R15 is not a common tyre size so dio you have 265/70R15?

2. 235/70R15 is not a common tyre size so do you have 235/75R15?

You also need to consider the rim offset because changing diameter of tyres and or the rim offset can have a significant effect on the handling of the vehicle because it changes the scrub radius and the self aligning torque of the front suspension.

OJ.

Comment

• nvll.mrrs
                              • Sep 2019
                              • NZ

My new Sport has Toyo Open Country 110H M&S. Really good on seal wet or dry, fine in mud with load and trailer. A bit twitchy on gravel roads but the electronics kept in in line.

I have been told by tyre guys in the past the strength of the wall is very important particularly if you are on lowered tyre pressure. 2plys can rupture much easier just an unfortunately placed rock can wreck a tyre.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X