• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hazpet
    • May 2014
    • Mandurah

Falken WildPeak AT3

Had 5 of these fitted to my NW last week. 265/60/18. So far done about 700km. First impressions, slightly noisier than the original dunflops but nothing to worry about, Steering feels good. I'll wait to see what they're like in the wet. Haven't had them off road yet. One thing that is very noticeable is the extra fuel used to push them along. I would say up to 2l/100km around town and a bit over 1l/100km on the freeway. $1285 at Bob Janes Mandurah with a 4 wheel alignment.
    2014 NW VR-X, Ironbark. Dual battery, Off Road Downunder tray, Redarc BCDC1225LV, 92ah AGM, Projector dual battery moniter, Rhino racks & rod holders, ARB awning, MMA steel bar, MMA towbar package, Half rear wheel cover & lift kit, Xray vision 10led bar, Uniden UH 8080NB CB, Tint a car tint, Rear shelf, 40l Engel & slide, Blackvue in car video, Baintech power panel, Scan guage, ARB compressor, Rodezi rod holders, Sports grill, Bushskinz intercooler & sump guard & various other bits & pieces.
  • pharb
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Tyers,Vic

I just replaced my Dunlop AT22s with the Falkens. Jumped from 265/65r17 to 265/70 in the process.
    Had buy 3 get 1 free deal. We use the Falkens on a number of 4wd vehicles at work.

Manual gearbox.

Slightly more noise, maybe.
    Fuel consumption has jumped from about low 8s to 11s, but only guessing as only ran a couple of tanks of fuel, and half of that seems to be with trailer on.

Speedo changed about 4, 5% accordimg to speedo app on phone when compared to previous Dunlops.

Very happy with them except for fuel consumption.

Ironiclly, just before I bought the Falkens I got some second hand half worn Mickey Thompson MTZs (265/70s) and did a camping trip into the High Country. Fully loaded (weighed on weighbridge at Bairnsdale on way home). Lots of highway kms, lots of windy mountain roads. Only a little bit of gentle low range.
    Got them at a really good price so thought I would give them a go to check noise and fuel consumption.
    Fuel consumption for the whole weekend was only slightly worse than the Dunlops, and hence better than the Falkens. And the MTs are probably only slightly noisier than the Falkens.

Maybe I should of just stayed with the MTs, except for purchase price of newies.
    PCOV Member 1107.
    Daily driver NX GLX
    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• RUGGA
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Adelaide

Originally posted by pharb View Post
      I just replaced my Dunlop AT22s with the Falkens. Jumped from 265/65r17 to 265/70 in the process.

Manual gearbox.

Fuel consumption has jumped from about low 8s to 11s, but only guessing as only ran a couple of tanks of fuel, and half of that seems to be with trailer on.

Very happy with them except for fuel consumption.

Wow. I wouldn't have thought the manual gearbox would have suffered that much of a hit, auto yes but
      02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
        Valued Member
        • May 2017
        • Sydney

Found this review from an ex Paj owner

Could a set of All Terrains be the only tyre you ever need? When I purchased the Range Rover Sport about a year ago, it came equipped, as many do, with the perfect set up for cruising the streets of Sydney’s trendier suburbs. Big 19-inch wheels and fairly skinny 255/50R19 tyres. Great for low riding, […]

Comment

• erad
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2015
          • Cooma NSW

Pharb wrote "Fuel consumption has jumped from about low 8s to 11s, but only guessing as only ran a couple of tanks of fuel, and half of that seems to be with trailer on.

Speedo changed about 4, 5% accordimg to speedo app on phone when compared to previous Dunlops.

Very happy with them except for fuel consumption."

Are you checking the consumption by the electronic display or by actual fill ups and distance travelled? Having larger tyres effectively raises your gearing because of the larger rolling radius. This can affect the electronic readouts because the ECU thinks the car is travelling less distance than it actually is, and you therefore get an apparently heavier fuel consumption.

Towing a trailer affects the consumption quite a bit. Also the tyre pressures have an effect. You may have run higher pressures than the tyre fitter used when they fitted the new tyres.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
            Valued Member
            • May 2017
            • Sydney

Originally posted by erad View Post
            You may have run higher pressures than the tyre fitter used when they fitted the new tyres.
            Personally I’ve never known a tyre fitter to fill new tyres up with anything less than 6,000psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• pharb
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • Tyers,Vic

Originally posted by erad View Post
              Pharb wrote "Fuel consumption has jumped from about low 8s to 11s, but only guessing as only ran a couple of tanks of fuel, and half of that seems to be with trailer on.

Very happy with them except for fuel consumption."

Are you checking the consumption by the electronic display or by actual fill ups and distance travelled? Having larger tyres effectively raises your gearing because of the larger rolling radius. This can affect the electronic readouts because the ECU thinks the car is travelling less distance than it actually is, and you therefore get an apparently heavier fuel consumption.

Towing a trailer affects the consumption quite a bit. Also the tyre pressures have an effect. You may have run higher pressures than the tyre fitter used when they fitted the new tyres.
              All consumption measured via actual litres and non adjusted odometer.
              Stabilised at high 9s, but the wife (it's her daily driver) had a change of employment her work trips have gone from 40 to 50 km per day, 3 days week, mainly open road, to 5 days a week, 20 km day, and only about 2 km over 100km/h.

Just had a road trip loaded to near enough full GVM and towing camper with 1t at axle (weighed at weighbridge on way) and roof bars with awning. Gippsland to Lightning Ridge, Surfers, Dorrigo, Myall Lakes, then NSW south coast back to Gippsland. Only low range was to manourver camper around. About 5,000km.

Averaged 11.7L/100km. Was pretty happy with that.
              PCOV Member 1107.
              Daily driver NX GLX
              Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
              Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
              Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                Valued Member
                • May 2017
                • Sydney

Anybody had the Falken AT3Ws from new to end of life and was unhappy with treadlife?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X