• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jzpajero
    • Jan 2020
    • Melbourne

Dpf in 2020 - options, implications

Hi All,

During a recent trip dpf light came on, then started flashing, then engine light came on. Took it to MM to try a forced regen which had worked in the past. Got the car back the next day with a $6k quote and now in limp mode. I was pretty gutted, of course. They took it back into the shed and it came back 5 mins later with no lights on and out of limp mode, but assured me the $6k dpf overhaul was required.

Sure enough, 350k down the road the dpf light came on for 45 mins, then started flashing, engine light on, straight into limp mode. With few options left, I drove from Yass to home(700km) like that. Hope I haven't done any damage to motor or turbo.

Had a friend take the dpf off. I'll post a couple of pics of it. Not sure if it has collapsed or had a hole poked in it prior to me owning it.

I really don't know what to do next. Well, I have followed these pages for a few years given the dpf has required 3-4 forced regens in the 3 yrs I've had it. So, I guess there are a few options, but each has pros and cons.

1. Buy a new dpf ($1200), have it fitted and hope that there are no other issues preventing a forced regen.
    PROS
    a) car is operating as designed and will pass RWC if I decide to sell it
    CONS
    a) New dpf may not solve the issue. ie. sensors may also be faulty etc. etc.
    b) Still req. expensive oil
    c) More forced regens required down the track
    d) cost - $1200 +

2. Delete pipe or 3" exhaust and remap
    PROS
    a) improved operation ie. torque, fuel economy
    b) no more dpf related codes, forced regens or limp mode
    CONS
    a) not legal in Vic, so possible fines, insurance related issues? At least 1 person has said the resulting smoke can be pretty obvious to anyone looking for it.
    b) Cost around $2k
    c) will not pass rwc, so can't sell

3. Given the dpf is almost gutted, complete that process, loop pressure sensors and replace temp sensor with resistor
    PROS
    a) potentially cheaper than other options
    b) dpf still in place, so may negate cons of delete pipe
    CONS
    a) Can't find enough details to give a mechanic who would be capable of doing it.
    b) Need MUT III to get it out of limp mode (is this still the case?)

I know this issue has been ongoing since this model came out. I'm sure I am not the only person facing this dilemma. But, what would be the preferred option to go for in 2020?

I'm thinking option 3 may be the way to go. Apart from this issue the Paj is going great, so I would prefer to keep it long term(300k klms). If I replaced the dpf, given the problems over the last 3 years, I'd probably be tempted to sell it and move on before I find myself back in the same position.

I'm in West Gippsland Vic, so if anyone knows someone who may be able to help, please PM or let me know.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files
  • Boo Boo
    • Aug 2012
    • Kilsyth

I cannot help you with the vehicle in limp mode but I have a second hand Chip Tuning Delete pipe for sale for $125. I am in Kilsyth in Melbourne.
    I had it in my NS for about 5 years with no issues at all with mainly short trips and I have now sold the car.
    I did not have a remap done so the car continued to do the burns as normal.
    I did join the pressure sensor pipes together and put the temp sensor back in.
    2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• jzpajero
      • Jan 2020
      • Melbourne

Thanks for the quick reply Boo Boo. I might take you up on that. I didn't know it could be achieved with temp sensor still in place. I guess a good mechanic would be well capable of joining the pressure pipes.

Getting it out of limp mode may be the main issue. I don't suspect MM would do it with the modifications, and they don't seem able do it with my current dpf. Or, is it worth trying another dealership? It cost me $520 last visit, for almost no gain. Well, lights off for 350km, that's about it.

Comment

• Boo Boo
        • Aug 2012
        • Kilsyth

I have a pipe that will enable you to join the pressure sensors together so it's not very hard to do that.
        Maybe you can see if you can find a mechanic that has a Mutt that can do a burn for you rather than going to Mitsubishi.
        2008 NS DID, Smart bar and warn winch, Boos Bash plates, ex nsw police car, Safair snorkel and 2 inch OME lift.

Comment

• Ky1e
          • Aug 2015
          • Muswellbrook

Take the DPF back off, get a big hammer and a podgy bar and go to town! Did it to mine years ago and not had a single issue since

Comment

• jzpajero
            • Jan 2020
            • Melbourne

Ky1e, did you loop the pressure pipes, add a chip, remap or anything else ? I'm assuming it was not in limp mode prior to the procedure.

A local mechanic was able to do a forced regen in the past with his scan tool(not MUT), but the car wasn't in limp mode then. Is it that the limp mode state makes it more difficult and something only a MUT III can perform ?

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

If a new DPF is $1,200 even if aftermarket where did the $6k come from?

Is that Mitsy quote?

Ouch!

What did they do that cost $500? Forced regen & Clear the codes?
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• jzpajero
                • Jan 2020
                • Melbourne

Yes, MM quote. Don't have it handy, but from memory it was $3,300ish for dpf, $400+ for each sensor, $500+ labour, + oil, filter ....Oh, +GST!

For $520 I took the car in with dpf flashing and engine light on, no limp mode. Got it back with the same lights on, and very quickly realised it was also in limp mode. To their credit, when I went straight back, in 5mins no lights, no limp mode. Next burn, 350km later, back to lights and limp. I spoke to the head mechanic and I have to say he was a very nice bloke. The code was 1498 I believe, so DPF overload means replace everything and charge as much as possible for the parts.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2000
                  • Tasmania

I wonder why consumers aren’t launching class action over dpf failing in cars . If ever there was a not fit for purpose example this is it. Simply amazing that people are putting up with this crap.
                  NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
                  NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• jzpajero
                    • Jan 2020
                    • Melbourne

It is unbelievable. Some mechanics I've spoken to about this, apart from MM of course, have said they have a steady stream of dpf victims. And the limp mode issues with the pajero could be seriously dangerous.

I have ordered a working dpf. From what I gather, may need it to get out of limp mode. Will also need one if ever it gets to the stage I have to sell the old girl.

Would anyone know where to source a temp sensor for the dpf? Just wanting to get one in case I do need MM to get it out of limp mode. Going by other threads, there is a fair chance it could be faulty, and $450 from MM seems a little steep.

Comment

• geopaj
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Adelaide

Partsouq or Amayama are generally the cheapest for genuine parts.
                      Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X