• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ian H
    Valued Member
    • May 2015
    • Melbourne

Thanks again mate.

Sorry for the confusion on the rear weights but it was at a different time from when I did the test with the hitch on and off. Probably due to different loads of fuel and what I had in the car. The WDH test was one I did just to see what difference it made and I wasn't so concerned about what weight I had in the car.

Having said that, I'm not sure how accurate the weigh bridge is. They are made for trucks which weigh a lot more than the Paj and I really doubt thye towball weight measurement to be accurate to within a few kgs. I think they have a tolerance of 20kg and then an allowance for variation.

I'm arranging a bulk weigh day for our 4WD club in October where the guy has scales to within 5oog. We'll do a number of cars for $30/car so I'll have a good idea after that.

I've spent quite a bit at the weigh bridge !
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

All the actual weights we measured where using a set of 4 vehicle scales.

OJ.
      Last edited by old Jack; 12-09-19, 06:39 PM.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Ian H
        Valued Member
        • May 2015
        • Melbourne

So just to finish this thread off, I got the new springs and Konis fitted today. Firstly, all the knocking noise from the previous shockers has gone and the ride is very good.

I got some new insulators, top and bottom from Polytuff, who were great in sending them down by express post.

The end result is a new ride height at the back of 560mm (30mm increase) and the front at much the same as it was, 530mm (+10mm).

My worry about getting in to the garage was put to rest, it gets in OK, even with a low fuel level. I just need to lengthen the bracket on the car awning to drop it down a bit more.

The shockers were only 18 months old (EFS) so I wouldn't recommend them. Since I had to change all the springs as well, which were the same age and not any problem, I have a set of Pedders for sale cheap, which I'll put in the appropriate section.

Thanks again OJ for your help, it's been greatly appreciated.
        2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011

Hi Ian,

No problems with the assistance.

Can you please post your spring part numbers so I can check how close my calculations are in real life. This feedback provides validation of my theoretical calculations.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Ian H
            Valued Member
            • May 2015
            • Melbourne

Front KCFR34

Rear KCRR35HD

Took it out for a spin on some dirt roads today and really happy.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

Thanks Ian,
              Glad you are happy with the results.
              In October, when you do the club weigh day if you could post the settler ride heights and accurate axle weights.

OJ.

Comment

• Ian H
                Valued Member
                • May 2015
                • Melbourne

Will do.

Comment

• Ian H
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2015
                  • Melbourne

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  Thanks Ian,
                  Glad you are happy with the results.
                  In October, when you do the club weigh day if you could post the settler ride heights and accurate axle weights.

OJ.
                  So we did the weighing this week and with a full tank of fuel, plus the aux (58L) tank also full, 30L of water in jerry cans behind the front seat, 50kg passenger and me in the front drivers seat.

RF 625kg Ride height 520 (heights were not taken at the time of weighing, just at home today)
                  LF 666kg Ride height 520

Total Front axle 1291kg (allowance 1330kg = under by 39kg)

RR 823kg Ride height 555
                  LR 770kg Ride height 540

Total rear axle 1593kg (allowance 1780kg = under by 187kg)

Total weight 2885kg (allowance is 3030) so I'm 145 under.
                  But hooking up the camper with a ball weight of 180 kg means I have to loose some weight in the car, even thought the GCM would only be about 4500kg and well under the 6030 limit.

Of the 20 cars we weighed at the club, 4 were over weight. I've attached the Excel file showing the results of all the different models. Note that the Land Cruiser failed. The guy said that he has more trouble with them than any car, due to their low payload of 600kg. His fail rate on them over the time he's been doing it is 67%.

I think people just think they can buy a LC and tow anything without a worry, which is plainly wrong.

Another stat from the results is that 3 out of the 4 Nissan Patrols failed too.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ian H; 16-11-19, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Great info sharing Ian, it just shows how easy it is to exceed GVM.

OJ.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2019
                      • Brisbane

Does anyone know the unladen weights standard vehicle & is their any relationship between the standard fitted factory tyres & these axle weights?

Split between

Front Axle?

Rear Axle?
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• Ian H
                        Valued Member
                        • May 2015
                        • Melbourne

Kerb mass of an NX Pajero is 2255kg so it has a payload of 775kg

Whether you have factory tyres, AT tyres or even heavier Mud tyres, they will add slightly to the weight on each wheel but I'd say not enough to make any difference unless you are very close to the GVM of 3030kg. It's more about what you are carrying and whether or not you are towing and have to take in to account the ball weight and add that to the rear axles. In fact you need to add more as the front rises and also contributes some weight to the rear when you hook up a trailer.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2019
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ian H View Post
                          Kerb mass of an NX Pajero is 2255kg so it has a payload of 775kg

Whether you have factory tyres, AT tyres or even heavier Mud tyres, they will add slightly to the weight on each wheel but I'd say not enough to make any difference unless you are very close to the GVM of 3030kg. It's more about what you are carrying and whether or not you are towing and have to take in to account the ball weight and add that to the rear axles. In fact you need to add more as the front rises and also contributes some weight to the rear when you hook up a trailer.
                          I understand that,
                          I was more interested in the unladen weight over front axle & rear axle stock standard no one in car.

Not that it matters for legalities but A vehicle with A GCM of 6 tonne or in other words rated to tow A braked mass its own laden weighted mass, it is obvioulsy worked on the suspension capabilties & stock tyre capabilities although as I say that doesnt matter for legalities
                          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X