• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ozzz
    • May 2019
    • Brisbane

oil filter help

Hi guys

I have searched a while and couldnt find the certain answer. What oil filter do you use for dpf pajero such as nx? The OEM one seems a bit expensive, I am looking to do a 7500km oil change soon. Can I use the filter mentioned by members for their non dpf pajero? Thanks
    My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

I would not think there'd be a difference in filter. Pretty sure it's been the same forever on Pajeros, at least on diesel motor.

Ones I get for my NW 3.2 are these:

2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• hinsch
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2010
      • Perth

Donaldson filter kit from western filters about $80 I think
      NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

Comment

• Ozzz
        • May 2019
        • Brisbane

I was concerned about fuel and other contaminants in the oil due to dpf. thanks guys, I will visit the link above and grab few
        My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings| Tuningkit Race​​​​​

Comment

• dhula
          Valued Member
          • Sep 2012
          • South of Perth

You can use the same filters DPF or no, a filter is a filter

Can use DPF or non DPF oil in non DPF engine, oils is oils

Big thing is to use suitable DPF oil in DPF engine
          2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
          2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• PaulMcG
            • Apr 2017
            • Sunshine Coast

Good idea on the mid-service oil change, but looking at your profile, with a 2020 model, I would be springing for the extra few bucks and sticking to a genuine Mitsubishi filter, with a view to maintaining your warranty. While there is nothing wrong with most non-genuine filters, if push comes to shove regarding a warranty issue, genuine parts will always put you in a better position.

Maybe have a word with the guy at the parts counter at your dealer, point out you want to do a mid-service oil change yourself, and ask if he can sharpen the price up on a genuine filter. Granted, the retail list price is exorbitant, but my parts guy at the dealer always gives me trade price on an extra filter when I buy a second one when I'm picking the vehicle up from a service, comes down to about $45-$50.

And as advised by previous replies, make sure the new oil is DPF suitable.
            NX 2016 GLS (non-DPF); MMA towbar, nudge bar; Boo's intercooler, sump, transmission Bash Plates 3mm; Donaldson secondary FF; Provent Catch Can; SPV mod; Stedi ST4K 28" lightbar; Falken Wildpeak AT3W; MM4x4 Auto Mate; Kings raised coils/ Dobinsons IMS struts & shocks.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by Ozzz View Post
              I was concerned about fuel and other contaminants in the oil due to dpf. thanks guys, I will visit the link above and grab few
              I had an instance Landcruiser engine 2h old straight 6, had canister oil filter, was using generic filter.
              One day opened up the canister to find the ends had fallen off the element, hard glue bits in there.

No damage for that simple engine/ dodged a bullet.

That was 25ish years ago & now Ryco would be the least brand name filter I would use & I don't consider them high level.

Donaldson is well regarded far & wide, Fleetguard another.
              But never Mr No name, for me personally, in my opinion anyhow.

With machinery I sell, I always advise the same, under warranty, use genuine consumables, less wriggle room for manufacturers to avoid warranty & keep the receipts.

Air filter if it fits properly I wouldn't use genuine one, if it's expensive myself.

Ask 10 people though you'll get many different answers
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• farcanal
                • Mar 2010

On my old NP I was using a Fleetguard oil filter (LF3830 I think was the part number) ...only about $20 and had the drain plug which made oil changing much less messy.
                I now have a 2018 NX and for the 1st 3 years at least I will use the genuine part.
                I bought one off ebay and the seller told me the NX had a different part number...1230A154. I can't remember the old part number he quoted but he said it was different , but couldn't say how it was different.
                Turns out it's not much cheaper on ebay than buying from my dealer....about $56 from memory.

Comment

• jkwpajero
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Young, NSW

On my NW, and on my 1HD-T Landcruiser before the the Pajero, I have used Nippon Max oil and fuel filters from Sydney Filters . Easy on-line ordering if needed. Never had an issue and from my limited research I think Nippon Max make the OEM filters. http://www.sydneyfilters.com.au/MISU...nw-nx-2006-on/

James
                  2014 NW VR-X, with a few modifications and an Automate fitted Driving Pajero number three.

Comment

• Neville Sneath
                    • Jan 2014
                    • Newcastle

Australian Spare Parts sell OEM Mitsubishi Filters lots cheaper then Dealers plus give you a free Sump bolt gasket. spend more then $90 to get free Postage so buy 3 or 4. You can Phone or https://www.australianonlinecarparts.com.au/

Comment

• Ozzz
                      • May 2019
                      • Brisbane

appreciate all input.I got 10l c4 dpf oil from Repco during Black Friday. It macthes the requirement from the manual. I totally agree its safer to use genuine parts for the first couple years to eliminate the warranty hassle. feeling excited to do it before Xmas

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by jkwpajero View Post
                        I think Nippon Max make the OEM filters. http://www.sydneyfilters.com.au/MISU...nw-nx-2006-on/

James
                        Well one things for sure Mitsubishi & Toyota don't
                        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• spot01
                          Valued Member
                          • Apr 2011
                          • Adelaide

It can be difficult to know the quality or specification of what media & design is inside an oil filter and exactly how well it will perform the critical functions required of it.

Even MMAL sell a cheaper range of filters called "Value Parts", but they say only to use in vehicles outside warranty - I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the cheaper filters.

Given the investment I have made in the vehicle & the cost of engines, I am quite comfortable spending a few extra $ on genuine for peace of mind. I'm sure there are plenty of good quality fliters from the reputable brands, although I wonder if they may also have different specifications at different "price points", like MMAL has (with "Mitsubishi Genuine Parts" & "Value Parts")?

I wonder which quality level is chosen by generic brands like Repco, etc?
                          Then there is the issue of counterfeit parts, some even branded as genuine, eg, the "Toyota Genuine Parts" scam uncovered a few years ago that was so convincing even some Toyota dealers fell for it?
                          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2019
                            • Brisbane

Couldn't agree more, but you can use one length of logic.
                            A "reputable" company that sells filters, Fleetguard just as example, if they sell rubbish as a whole it wouldn't be a long term business model.
                            A whole lot of heavy earthmoving using these type brands.

As for MM's budget line, for all intensive purposes it could be just a different box, you pay premium for genuine boxes, sometimes warranted, sometimes it is just a Daken clutch at twice the price.
                            Although if dealer is sourcing himself could be any? He should be able to name the brand surly.
                            I work at a machinery dealer, no way known we would sell Mr no name filters...........
                            But as you say who know's.

I worked after market wholesale parts, machinery. We use to import ex Turkey some product. One example, our C.A.V filters came in white boxes & from time to time we would get a whole lot of Delphi product.
                            They came from same factory different package, white filter different writing.

But I agree you would hope whom ever makes genuine filter makes a decent one & it should give you piece of mind & confidence.

Filter companies make filters & car companies make cars, trick is too work out the good from the bad in both areas
                            Last edited by Jasonmc73; 13-12-19, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Ozzz
                              • May 2019
                              • Brisbane

Really appreciate all input.

Just an update

Originally posted by Neville Sneath View Post
                              Australian Spare Parts sell OEM Mitsubishi Filters lots cheaper then Dealers plus give you a free Sump bolt gasket. spend more then $90 to get free Postage so buy 3 or 4. You can Phone or https://www.australianonlinecarparts.com.au/

I bought two from the link, they arrived last week with free sump washer. cant wait for this weekend

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X